Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition (3D/2D Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,394 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 21 2014 - 11:16 AM

To be fair to other HTF members, I didn't see any of them advocating that price point.  From my personal perspective, I won't be purchasing that 3-D release at that price which I can easily afford, but will not do so because I can wait it out.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D Blu-ray Extended Version was also $39.99 when first released. It dropped to $29.96 on Black Friday and is its current price.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#22 of 27 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 21 2014 - 01:02 PM

To be fair to other HTF members, I didn't see any of them advocating that price point.  From my personal perspective, I won't be purchasing that 3-D release at that price which I can easily afford, but will not do so because I can wait it out.

Some of the comments:

Im getting it..

Good News I've been waiting for this.

Sounds great, but I'll be waiting for the box set...

And not one comment about the price till mine.  I'm not saying anyone has to be a price-sensitive as me.  But $40 and no one else has any concerns about that?  This falls right into the category of Hollywood driving another nail into the coffin of 3D.  I suspect this will not sell well and then the bean-counters will say "3D doesn't sell."

PS: I hate the 3D TAX and think that $29 is still way to high.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#23 of 27 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,300 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 21 2014 - 01:27 PM

Frankly, for what is included, I don't think it's that bad. I paid $40 for the first film's 3D EE release and the bonus content alone made it worth it. Everyone has their own sense of value. Some people won't spend more than $10; for others they happily spend $70 for a film they love if it comes with a statuette.
  • TravisR likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#24 of 27 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,302 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 21 2014 - 01:53 PM

Frankly, for what is included, I don't think it's that bad. I paid $40 for the first film's 3D EE release and the bonus content alone made it worth it.

Yeah, considering the level of extras and that there's a 3-D version, I don't think $40 is outrageous. How many 3-D discs that are fairly light (especially in comparison to this) cost $30 or $35?

#25 of 27 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,681 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 02:05 PM

I don't think it's that bad either, and I'll be getting it most likely, but..

I just looked and noticed that the suggested retail price for the 2D Extended Version is $35.99, and for the 3D Extended Version is $54.98.  Given that all of the bonus material is the same on both sets, I think it's a little much to ask for an extra (almost) $20 just to include the extra disc with the 3D version of the film.  If you go by what Amazon's currently offering, it's $19.96 for the 2D, $39.96 for the 3D, so it actually does work out to be an extra $20 exactly.

I personally think all 3D titles should cost the same as their 2D counterpart.  There are a lot of functions and features on a Blu-ray disc that not everyone has the ability to access or chooses to access, but they charge the same price for the movie anyway.  Until a couple months ago, I didn't have surround sound, much less lossless audio.  But the studios charge the same for a movie whether it has lossy audio or lossless audio, and they charge the same whether the movie is in mono or stereo or surround sound.  3D is the only tech spec that we're charged extra for.  But I accept that the ship has probably sailed on 3D versions being sold for the same price.  But when you go to the movie theaters, they charge you $3-6 extra, depending on the theater.  Most 3D Blu-rays sell for about $5 extra than the 2D version; some sell for closer to $10 more (Hello, Disney!).  But $20 extra?  That seems excessive to me.

• Johnny Angell and cafink like this

#26 of 27 OFFLINE   KeithDA

KeithDA

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 11 2014 - 07:55 AM

Some of the comments:

Im getting it..

Good News I've been waiting for this.

Sounds great, but I'll be waiting for the box set...

And not one comment about the price till mine.  I'm not saying anyone has to be a price-sensitive as me.  But $40 and no one else has any concerns about that?  This falls right into the category of Hollywood driving another nail into the coffin of 3D.  I suspect this will not sell well and then the bean-counters will say "3D doesn't sell."

PS: I hate the 3D TAX and think that $29 is still way to high.

At least you get the choice over whether to buy the extended 2D or extended 3D versions - here in the UK the only way to get the extended versions is to buy the 3D sets (which includes a 2D version) - expensive and wasteful in that I don't have 3D capability....

#27 of 27 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 11 2014 - 04:21 PM

At least you get the choice over whether to buy the extended 2D or extended 3D versions - here in the UK the only way to get the extended versions is to buy the 3D sets (which includes a 2D version) - expensive and wasteful in that I don't have 3D capability....

At the prices they're charging, I don't think it's much of a choice. And in the UK, you still get Disney 3D.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users