Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Olive Films Press Release: Sands of Iwo Jima and Cauldron of Blood

Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 08:23 PM

887090081603.jpg

CAULDRON OF BLOOD (aka "Blind Man’s Bluff") (DVD & BLU-RAY)

STARRING:
BORIS KARLOFF
(Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Black Cat, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”)

VIVECA LINDFORS
(Stargate, Creepshow, The Exorcist III, The Sure Thing, Dark City)

DIRECTOR:
SANTOS ALCOCER

FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY!

PREBOOK: 9/9/2014
STREET: 10/14/2014

YEAR: 1971
GENRE: HORROR
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
LABEL: OLIVE FILMS
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 99 mins
RATING: NR (NOTE: This film was originally given the short-lived “GP” rating, equivalent to PG)
ASPECT RATIO: 1.78:1 Aspect Ratio; Color
AUDIO: MONO

SYNOPSIS:
In a clever twist on the sculptor/murderer theme that runs throughout horror film history, the legendary Boris Karloff stars as blind artist Franz Badulescu, who creates startlingly lifelike statues with the help of his protective daughter, Viveca Lindfors (Creepshow). Jean-Pierre Aumont (Day for Night) co-stars as a jet-setting photographer sent to photograph the reclusive artist at his Spanish castle, but unearths a horrible secret at the core of Badulescu’s haunting sculptures. Plotted like an Italian giallo, seasoned with American jazz and bursts of psychedelia, Cauldron of Blood (aka Blind Man’s Bluff) is among the more fascinating of Karloff’s Euro horror films of the period.

DVD ITEM# OF815
UPC# 887090081504
SRP: $24.95

BLU-RAY ITEM# OF816
UPC# 887090081603
SRP: $29.95

887090082006.jpg

SANDS OF IWO JIMA (DVD & BLU-RAY)

NOMINATED FOR FOUR ACADEMY AWARDS!
INCLUDING BEST ACTOR (JOHN WAYNE), BEST WRITING /SCREENPLAY, BEST SOUND, BEST EDITING!

STARRING:
ACADEMY AWARD WINNER JOHN WAYNE (The Quiet Man, Rio Grande, The Alamo,True Grit)
FORREST TUCKER (F Troop, Auntie Mame, Chisum)
RICHARD JAECKEL (Starman, The Dirty Dozen, Twilight’s Last Gleaming)

FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY!

PREBOOK: 10/7/2014
STREET: 11/11/2014

YEAR: 1949
GENRE: WAR
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
LABEL: OLIVE FILMS
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 109 mins
RATING: NR
ASPECT RATIO: 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio; B&W
AUDIO: MONO

SYNOPSIS:
John Wayne earned a 1949 Best Actor Academy Award® nomination for one of his most iconic roles, as the battle-hardened leader of a squad of recruits, in Allan Dwan's Sands of Iwo Jima.

Haunted by his personal demons, Marine Sgt. John Stryker is both hated and feared by his men, who see him as a cold-hearted sadist. But when their boots hit the beaches, they begin to understand the reason for Stryker's rigid form of discipline, as he leads them into one of the most treacherous battles in the Pacific.

Emotionally gripping, punctuated with intense battle scenes, all bound together by Wayne's larger-than-life performance, Sands of Iwo Jima is the quintessential WWII film.

DVD ITEM# OF819
UPC# 887090081900
SRP: $24.95

BLU-RAY ITEM# OF820
UPC# 887090082006
SRP: $29.95

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Kyrsten Brad likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 09:01 PM

Another cult movie, this time with Karloff.  Not sure if I'm going to get this one, even though I have a taste for schlock.

Seems this one has been seriously underrepresented on DVD, so fans should be pleased.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 05 2014 - 12:35 AM

POPULAR

Ron,

Have you ever seen Sands of Iwo Jima?  If not, I'm recommending this title.  One of Wayne's best acting performances and a fine film.

• Everett Stallings, Adam Gregorich, Randy Korstick and 3 others like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 498 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted August 05 2014 - 02:05 AM

Brad here.  Guess its safe to assume that Olive will not be including that muddled colorized version of Sands Of Iwo Jima that appeared on VHS some years ago.  Oh the colorization job was awful.

Now if someone were to do a modern digital colorization for a Blu release, I'd be down with that.  As long as you also get the pristine B&W original as well.

Anyway a must-have for my Blu-ray Library.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 05:44 AM

Have you ever seen Sands of Iwo Jima?  If not, I'm recommending this title.  One of Wayne's best acting performances and a fine film.

Never saw it.  It will be preordered.  Thanks as always.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:04 AM

A bit bummed that they are seemingly doing just three titles total for Oct-Nov (these two plus Dragonfly Squadron 3D).

29 Paramount licensed titles remaining

23 BD/DVD titles:

The Adalen Riots (1969)
Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)
The Beat Generation (1959)
Beware, My Lovely (1952)
Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
The Eternal Sea (1955)
Flying Disc Man from Mars (1950)
Hell's Five Hours (1958)
The Invisible Monster (1950)
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)
Man of Conquest (1939)
Outrage (1950)
The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)
The Quiet Gun (1957)
The Shanghai Story (1954)
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)
Stranger at My Door (1956)
Track the Man Down (1955)
Try and Get Me (1950)

The Weapon (1956)
Woman They Almost Lynched (1953)
World for Ransom (1954)

6 DVD-only releases that need Blu-ray upgrade:

The Buccaneer (1938)
The Lawless (1950)
No Man of Her Own (1950)
Pony Express (1953)
Something to Live For (1952)
Tropic of Cancer (1970)

Edited by Brandon Conway, August 05 2014 - 11:25 AM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:36 AM

A bit bummed that they are seemingly doing just three titles total for Oct-Nov (these two plus Dragonfly Squadron 3D).

Yeah, I'm thinking this might be it for 2014, save for maybe 1 more.  December will likely be skipped entirely like they have been doing in the past.  Hopefully the new 2015 releases start in January or February instead of April.

Also, you forgot one more upcoming Republic/Paramount film : Try and Get Me (1950) making the total 29 remaining.

• Brandon Conway likes this

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 05 2014 - 11:25 AM

Also, you forgot one more upcoming Republic/Paramount film : Try and Get Me (1950) making the total 29 remaining.

Thanks!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 11:45 AM

Still waiting on Beware My Lovely and *Dr Terror* 

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:29 PM

Cauldron of Blood is now available for preorder.  Sands of Iwo Jima has 

an Amazon listing but not yet available.  Probably in a few hours.  Will keep

you all posted.

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,895 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:31 PM

Ron,

Agreed!  Will order this one.  Now we just need They Were Expendable (MGM)

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:54 PM

Agreed!  Will order this one.  Now we just need They Were Expendable (MGM)

WB has control of that title.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 03:37 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,041 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 06 2014 - 04:08 AM

post-269895-0-06632900-1407212617.jpg

Now Available for Preorder

Done! As always, thanks for the pre-order link Ron!

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 04:09 AM

Alex, thank YOU (and everyone else) for the support by ordering through the links.

I just preordered myself.  Looking forward to this first-time watch.

Ronald J Epstein

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,041 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 06 2014 - 04:24 AM

Alex, thank YOU (and everyone else) for the support by ordering through the links.

You will not be disappointed. Maybe The Duke's best performance and overall a great WWII film.

• Randy Korstick likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 06 2014 - 05:33 AM

You'll really like it!

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 498 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted August 06 2014 - 11:18 AM

Sands of Iwo Jima now in my Amazon cart, via your link.

Should be a lot better than that crappy colorized version on VHS they did some years ago.

Still wouldn't mind seeing a well-done digital colorization done of this film.  Of course now I'll have the "Film Heretic" label tossed my way but what the heck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olive Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users