What's new

International The Big Sleep (1946) coming to Blu-ray Disc in January (France) (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ill wait for Region A, actually Warners are Region Free but I want a US release. I did get the steelbook for the Maltese Falcon and Grand Hotel from overseas.. I doubt Warner will do that here..

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yorkshire said:
My bet would be for both cuts, but the preview version in SD.

Steve W
Yup, expecting this. Hope to be wrong.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Traveling Matt said:
There's a preview cut a few minutes longer than the theatrical cut. Both versions were on DVD.
The "preview" cut is different from the release print with different sequences. I prefer the "preview" cut.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Traveling Matt said:
There's a preview cut a few minutes longer than the theatrical cut. Both versions were on DVD.
I believe the difference between the 'preview' cut (shown to the armed forces) and the regular release isn't defined so much by running length, but by the fact that the producers dediced after preview to focus more on scenes which emphasised the erotic link between Bogart and Bacall. I can't remember for sure, but I think new scenes may have been shot to do this.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
AnthonyClarke said:
I believe the difference between the 'preview' cut (shown to the armed forces) and the regular release isn't defined so much by running length, but by the fact that the producers dediced after preview to focus more on scenes which emphasised the erotic link between Bogart and Bacall. I can't remember for sure, but I think new scenes may have been shot to do this.
You remember correctly.

The trailer for To Have And Have Not is fascinating because it shows that prior to that film reaching an audience, Warner Brothers were not sure which of the two new actresses, Lauren Bacall and Dolores Moran, would make the stronger impact. Dolores Moran, who I think is excellent in the film, has only a supporting role but the trailer suggests she plays a bigger role.

The Big Sleep was in preparation before To Have And Have Not found its audience and before Warners and Howard Hawks realised that Lauren Bacall was now a hot property. The original screenplay does not give Lauren Bacall much chance to shine. By the time the film finished shooting, it was clear the general public was interested in Lauren Bacall and her agent went to bat for her, insisting The Big Sleep be changed to show her off better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AnthonyClarke said:
There were new scenes shot for the final version. Per Robert Gitt of UCLA, who talks about the film changes in an excellent 1997 featurette. The Big Sleep started filming in Oct, 1944 and was concluded Jan, 1945. However, the finish film sat in Warner's vault for a year before Warner decided to reshoot some scenes in Jan. 1946. The film finally opened in Aug. 1946. By the way, the film delay wasn't just about Bacall, but moreso Warner's desire to get all all of their WW II theme films released before WW II ended.

What I really find interesting about this film is that Bacall was only 20 during the filming of that film except for the few scenes they shot when she was 21 and already married to Bogart. Martha Vickers, who played Bacall's sister was only 19 years old.

Also, the final version with new scenes is actually the shorter version by two minutes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
My personal favourite of the Bacall/Bogart films is "Dark Passage", but I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on that.
Another one of my personal favorites. However, I love The Big Sleep a little bit more because of the entire cast of characters while Dark Passage has a much limited cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks