Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad/Fun and Fancy Free Blu-ray Review

Blu-ray Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,895 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:34 PM

POPULAR

I love the released by RKO pictures logo on the fronts of the titles.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 28 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 07:22 AM

Wow...I just saw RELUCTANT DRAGON on netflix streaming in HD, my GOD does that look good!  Now I want to order the set but I may wait to see if the price drops from its current high of $33.

It's really gorgeous!

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   DanH1972

DanH1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted August 17 2014 - 07:25 AM

Wow...I just saw RELUCTANT DRAGON on netflix streaming in HD, my GOD does that look good!  Now I want to order the set but I may wait to see if the price drops from its current high of $33.

It's really gorgeous!

It was at Best Buy for 22.99.  However, now that it's Sunday it may have jumped back up. 

#24 of 28 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 07:31 AM

It was at Best Buy for 22.99.  However, now that it's Sunday it may have jumped back up. 

Thanks, I'll check!

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,895 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 17 2014 - 12:09 PM

Great review that I agree with 100%. This is the first Disney Blu that I have purchased in a long time. It is fantastic in that all three features look great with out the Disney scrub. Hope this will be the norm for the future.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted August 28 2014 - 06:59 AM

Are all three films uncut and uncensored? 

It seems that they are all uncut -- except Disney is up to their style of smearing everything clean of any grain and original texture.  It is especially evident in the color sequences of FUN AND FANCY FREE.  The scenes with Edgar Bergen have that smooth waxy look.  However, THE RELUCTANT DRAGON has a surprising grain structure -- especially in the black and white sequences.  Getting all three of these films together at a very reasonable price is a nice surprise!  Keep up the good work, Disney, and let's continue this with maybe -- POLLYANNA -- my favorite, as well as BLACKBEARD'S GHOST.

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   DanH1972

DanH1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted August 28 2014 - 07:45 AM

It seems that they are all uncut -- except Disney is up to their style of smearing everything clean of any grain and original texture.  It is especially evident in the color sequences of FUN AND FANCY FREE.  The scenes with Edgar Bergen have that smooth waxy look.  However, THE RELUCTANT DRAGON has a surprising grain structure -- especially in the black and white sequences.  Getting all three of these films together at a very reasonable price is a nice surprise!  Keep up the good work, Disney, and let's continue this with maybe -- POLLYANNA -- my favorite, as well as BLACKBEARD'S GHOST.

More than likely Ichabod and Mr. Toad is from an older transfer.  The Reluctant Dragon is probably from a fresher restoration.  Maybe sourced from 4k. 

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,106 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 28 2014 - 09:01 PM

The previous DVD releases for all 3 of these were uncut so I would image the Blu-Rays are as well. These are not the films that were previously edited. Those are Fantasia, Melody Time and Saludos Amigos.

You forgot Make Mine Music, where the entire The Martins and the Coys segment was deleted.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users