Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Last Embrace (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Kino

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,747 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 08:33 PM

last.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted October 16 2014 - 05:10 AM

So I picked this up as it is my favorite film from Mr. Demme and personally had a great time watching this again as I have not seen it in over 25 years. This is an offbeat story and an obvious salute to Hitchcock which I think makes it a lot of fun. It sort of feels like a De Palma film because of the more salacious aspects of the story, nudity and language also being more graphic here. It features the sort of oddball characters you would find in a De Palma thriller too. A ride well worth taking if you are into this kind of thing. 

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,709 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 06:01 AM

I only saw this once in the theater when it came out, and quite liked it. Some really surprising twists and turns.

I always liked actress Janet Margolin, who is great in this. It's terribly sad that she died at such a young age.

#4 of 8 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,706 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted October 16 2014 - 07:23 AM

So I picked this up as it is my favorite film from Mr. Demme and personally had a great time watching this again as I have not seen it in over 25 years. This is an offbeat story and an obvious salute to Hitchcock which I think makes it a lot of fun. It sort of feels like a De Palma film because of the more salacious aspects of the story, nudity and language also being more graphic here. It features the sort of oddball characters you would find in a De Palma thriller too. A ride well worth taking if you are into this kind of thing. 

I've been sitting on the fence with this one.....how is the quality of the transfer, etc?

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

#5 of 8 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 16 2014 - 09:25 AM

I watched this one Tuesday evening. It was a bliind buy. The image starts out rough looking but as the movie progresses it gets better. I don't think it is bad, it has some flecks / dirt here and there.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted October 17 2014 - 01:50 PM

On the whole I would say it is an excellent presentation of an obscure, probably mostly forgotten film from 1979. I thought a lot of it looked fantastic. There is something about Janet Margolin in this film...she's just perfect for her part and at times absolutely luminous. Scheider is at his 1970s peak as a leading man and the other film released with him in it in 1979 was All That Jazz. 

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 07:29 PM

I watched this one Tuesday evening. It was a bliind buy. The image starts out rough looking but as the movie progresses it gets better. I don't think it is bad, it has some flecks / dirt here and there.

The "rough" portions seem to involve use of inferior film stock during portions that required heavy hand-held camera usage.  I'd say those shots, with heavier and less detail grain, are inherent to the film itself.

#8 of 8 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,706 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted October 18 2014 - 11:09 AM

On the whole I would say it is an excellent presentation of an obscure, probably mostly forgotten film from 1979. I thought a lot of it looked fantastic. There is something about Janet Margolin in this film...she's just perfect for her part and at times absolutely luminous. Scheider is at his 1970s peak as a leading man and the other film released with him in it in 1979 was All That Jazz.

My copy arrived today, a decision in part due to your recommendation :) I saw this about 10 years ago and found it very interesting. Now its almost forgotten. Hopefully others like me will rediscover (or discover) it.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users