Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Gorky Park (1983) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,526 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 08:21 PM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

Second Unit

• 334 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted September 08 2014 - 10:31 AM

I just noticed that Intrada have re-released the score for this. That takes the sting out of the BD not being a Twilight Time release, as I really love Horner's work in this film. Happily, it looks as though the score is significantly expanded and re-mastered from original vault elements held by MGM, so this release should be fantastic. I can't wait to hear it, and it will be a great companion to the BD:

Posted Image

Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 289

For the 1983 film Gorky Park, composer James Horner brilliantly blended orchestral and synthesized textures, wielding an impressive array of stringed instruments (including balalaika, mandolin, guitar, oud, harp and cimbalom), and featuring such distinctive textures as accordion, the piercing otherworldly tones of Nyle Steiner’s EVI (Electronic Valve Instrument) and the cavernous groanings of Craig Huxley’s Blaster Beam. The miasma introduced during the main title is both brooding and clamorous, evocative of the institutionalized corruption that follows. During the film’s frequent chase sequences the music shifts gears, becoming a churning machine that drives the action relentlessly forward. The contrast between agile drum kit, serving up a funky urban vibe, and a weighty motif in fortissimo low brass—a potent combination of unison trombone, contrabass trombone and tuba—is particularly striking. This material builds on Horner’s score for 48 Hrs. and anticipates later works such as Commando, although each of these retains a unique palette and energy. In stark contrast to the score’s bleaker and more corrosive elements is Horner’s theme for Irina, an aching minor-mode melody that emerges from a dreamlike mist of vibraphone and shimmering strings.

To present James Horner’s complete music for Gorky Park, Intrada had access to the original recording session elements vaulted by MGM, including both 2˝ and ½˝ rolls of tape. Remixing was critical in that previous releases featured a unique anomaly. The array of gentle instruments such as the harp and vibraphone playing lengthy, exposed pianissimo passages (with long pauses built into the phrases) resulted in a noticeable degree of background noise, easily removed now, but not back in 1983 when the master was prepared. Perhaps in compensation, the original “stereo” mixes for these cues were essentially mono mix-downs with high strings (violins, violas) and low strings (cellos, basses) panned dead center. Some of the nuances— such as harp and vibraphone—were also focused in the center. The tracks played back with less noise, but lost almost all of their stereo separation as a result. With this new presentation, James Horner's score can be heard in beautiful, crisp stereo sound -- and the release features over twice as much music as the previous albums including additional music, alternates and film versions.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   bronson

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted September 08 2014 - 12:30 PM

I don´t like the cover.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

• 2,548 posts

Posted September 08 2014 - 02:42 PM

I believe the book had the same, or similar, cover. I do wish the BBC or some other entity would film more of the Renko books.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   atfree

• 2,035 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted September 08 2014 - 03:27 PM

Very similar cover to the novel....

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users