Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Into the Woods

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 of 71 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,894 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 25 2014 - 11:24 PM

I've yet to muster the courage to see "Sweeney Todd".  The soundtrack album (which I unloaded a while ago) was too 'horrific' for me. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#62 of 71 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,875 posts

Posted December 26 2014 - 12:35 AM

Isn't A Little Night Music approachable? The film was terribly botched, but it works beautifully on stage, and I saw the original production, plus countless others. It would take a real butcher to "ruin" Smiles of a Summer Night.

It's.....okay, if you like Bergman set to music, but it's easy to see why Harold Prince didn't move on to film.

I guess "A Funny Thing/Forum" would count as Sondheim too, but that's going too far back.

#63 of 71 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted December 26 2014 - 06:03 AM

There's a far better movie in A Little Night Music but I don't see it ever happening.
  • JohnMor likes this

#64 of 71 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 26 2014 - 11:29 AM

I was quite happy with the film version of Sweeney Todd, although I would have preferred a different Mrs. Lovett, at least musically.  Bonham-Carter's voice was a too wan for the role, although I do realize that in a film it's less necessary than on stage. 

• Mark Walker and Adam Lenhardt like this

#65 of 71 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,237 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 26 2014 - 12:54 PM

I've always felt Company was an accessible Sondheim play.  About as straight-forward as you'll get.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#66 of 71 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted December 26 2014 - 01:10 PM

And the version of Company with Neil Patrick Harris, Patti LuPone, Martha Plimpton, Christina Hendricks, Jon Cryer, Stephen Colbert and others is excellent!  If you are a fan of Sondheim and have not seen this yet - check it out!

• Mark Walker likes this

#67 of 71 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,402 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 26 2014 - 10:05 PM

I wish they would have just hired Bernadette Peters to play the Witch. She's only a year older than Ms. Streep and I liked her take on the character a lot better.

Chris Pine was the real suprise for me, especially when it came to the singing. Very well done.

You'd expect Anna Kendrick to be terrific as Cinderella, and she was.

Christine Baranski was brilliant casting as Cinderella's wicked stepmother. The other Broadway vets were very good in their supporting roles as well. I thought Molly Ephraim did a marvelous job balancing the wholesome quality of Little Red Riding Hood with the humor in the 2002 revival. Lilla Crawford's take on the character was a bit more cutting, but it worked well for the film.

I thought on the whole Act I worked really well. Act II was more problematic, especially the loss of "No More". And Rapunzel's story just kind of ends.

I was quite happy with the film version of Sweeney Todd, although I would have preferred a different Mrs. Lovett, at least musically.  Bonham-Carter's voice was a too wan for the role, although I do realize that in a film it's less necessary than on stage.

I agree. The Tim Burton film was a very effective telling of the tale, with all of the energy and pathos and Victorian melodrama intact. It's not the version you want to own the soundtrack for, but the movie holds you in the story from beginning to end. I do like my Mrs. Lovetts a bit older.

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, December 26 2014 - 10:09 PM.

• Mark Walker and Tim Glover like this

#68 of 71 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,688 posts

Posted Today, 08:40 PM

I loved it...Really creative and captivating. My crush on Emily Blunt has increased! She was awesome and can sing! Did feel the 3rd act was a little bit of a letdown. Not huge. The first 2/3 is so full of life and wonder that I figured there had to be a little letdown. But it recovers and it's a quite enjoyable experience. 

Is there anything Meryl Streep CANT do? Wow she's amazing. The greatest actress we've ever seen. 

Solid 9.5/10. Want to see again. Wonderful wonderful surround sound by the way. Tremendous dynamics. 

• Cameron Yee likes this

#69 of 71 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,675 posts

Posted Today, 09:16 PM

Follies, Company, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum aren't approachable???

#70 of 71 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,875 posts

Posted Today, 09:33 PM

Follies, Company, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum aren't approachable???

Company, with its bored unhappily-mating 70's urbanites straight out of a New Yorker cartoon, is just about the LEAST danged mainstream/approachable Sondheim this side of Sunday in the Park with George.

Follies, I can't speak for, but it's from the same era.

And while Funny Thing at least has Richard Lester add the burlesque touch to the movie version, it's sort of in the opposite direction, but still nothing you'd put on the same table as Sweeney and Woods.

#71 of 71 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts

Posted Today, 09:39 PM

I greatly enjoyed this movie but agree that the last third was a bit weak.

I think it would have been better if they kept more of the mysterious man plot and the song No More.

As to why cast Streep instead of Bernadette Peters?  Meryl has a tendency to get academy awards nominations just for appearing in a halfway decent movie that opens in November/December.   Of course, Meryl was excellent in this role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users