-

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a new 4K restoration of "Vertigo"?

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 of 46 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 312 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted August 03 2014 - 05:55 PM

In the early days of CD those complaints were accurate - they sounded horrible because they just slapped any old master onto a silver disc without doing any work..

That's no doubt correct, but there was many an audio enthusiast that just knew music couldn't sound right when the waveform was reconstructed from periodic samples.

---------------

#42 of 46 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 11:12 PM

This reminds me so much of complaints in the early days of CDs.  Of course, there are still those who listen to their music from vinyl LPs.

---------------

There are indeed, and I'm one of them. Mind you, as I'm now growing old and my hearing is deteriorating, I don't find CD nearly as unpleasant as I used to. 

#43 of 46 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 12:29 AM

I can't even respond to this.  Heaven bless the Home Theatre Enthusiast.      :)  

You can't respond because you have no experience in this matter or because you are too polite to tell me I'm delusional? :laugh:

It's a fact that with some of today's digital home cinema projectors you get blacker blacks and more on off contrast than with any film or digital projection in cinemas of today or the past. It was already true with analogue CRT projectors for home cinemas 20 years ago. And of course it has been true and is true for monitors/TVs with suitable technology, for professional use or for at home.  There is more to an image than black level and contrast of course but without good blacks and contrast the rest is severly degraded, no matter how good it is otherwise.

#44 of 46 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 12:31 AM

That's no doubt correct, but there was many an audio enthusiast that just knew music couldn't sound right when the waveform was reconstructed from periodic samples.

---------------

Not knew, erroneously believed. :)

#45 of 46 OFFLINE   Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted August 04 2014 - 01:38 AM

Back in those early days of CDs I met an EMI executive who had been subjected to ill informed criticism from Yehudi Menuhin, who knew JUST enough to understand that what one heard was a stream of samples.

'So it's not continuous'

'There are 44.1 thousand samples every second. Can you hear the space between them?'

Malcolm Blackmoor

#46 of 46 ONLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 05:45 AM

Back in those early days of CDs I met an EMI executive who had been subjected to ill informed criticism from Yehudi Menuhin, who knew JUST enough to understand that what one heard was a stream of samples.

'So it's not continuous'

'There are 44.1 thousand samples every second. Can you hear the space between them?'

With the early 16 bit straight transfer from old RIAA masters, you could hear the cumulative effect. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users