What's new

International Reflections in a Golden Eye (Taylor, Brando) - France 10/8/14? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
There is a PAL DVD that has the colorized version!
Very good movie, glad it's being released and hope for a release in other English-territories too!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Wow! Hopefully, this bodes well for WB loosening up and allowing BDs of classic films to be released in Europe that they won't release here in the states a la Fox and other studios.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The gold version of "Reflections" is Huston's preferred version. The full color version totally diminishes the atmosphere of the Southern gothic aspect of the film. For me the color version is unwatchable ...not to mention it was of Warners imposed changes after release.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Huston experimented with color in Moulin Rouge, Moby Dick and Reflections in a Golden Eye. His color choices should be respected.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The cover art has arrived. I can't believe they referred to Elizabeth as "Liz Taylor" on the cover. And she had billing over Brando in the film, which this doesn't reflect. But I'm glad it's coming to Blu-ray, and I've already pre-ordered it.

reflections.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ken Koc said:
I find the color version boring....the gothic element of the story is lost...as well as John Huston's original vision.
I agree! The "gold" version is like watching a dream through that golden eye that Anacleto, the houseboy, refers to in his drawing of the peacock. A grotesque vision, he says. McCuller's characters are grotesque in their way and Huston tells his story using that peacock's golden eye. The ordinary color version makes the film prosaic.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
mikeyhitchfan said:
I love the film, but I hate the golden tinted version. It's so boring to look at. I doubt they'll include both.
Was the "gold" version ever shown other than initially for a few showings? I saw the film when first released and it had normal colour, although I was aware at the time that Huston had wanted it shown with its golden look.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Douglas R said:
Was the "gold" version ever shown other than initially for a few showings? I saw the film when first released and it had normal colour, although I was aware at the time that Huston had wanted it shown with its golden look.
The film was originally released as intended with the gold version. This was not a "few" showings. That's how the film opened. Apparently it confused audiences (which says more about the audience than the film) so Warners opted to pull the "gold" and give them the rainbow.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thomas T said:
The film was originally released as intended with the gold version. This was not a "few" showings. That's how the film opened. Apparently it confused audiences (which says more about the audience than the film) so Warners opted to pull the "gold" and give them the rainbow.
OK. Certainly didn't open in London like that.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Douglas R said:
OK. Certainly didn't open in London like that.
According to the IMDb, Reflections In A Golden Eye opened in London some six months (04-68) after its U.S. opening (10-67) so it makes sense that London got the color version. By that time, it was only being shown in the U.S. in full color too.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thomas T said:
I think it also shows that most people don't want to watch a whole movie tinted mostly sickly gold, director intended or not.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The gold tinted version played for one week only...hardly enough time for audiences to see it. I know as i worked at the Cinerama theater in San Diego when it opened.
I guess there are fans of colorization. The color version of NEBRASKA was recently shown on cable.....it was a different film and lessened greatly the cinematography and impact of the film.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
But the full colour version of Reflections isn't colourized. I only mentioned it would be nice to have both options because both were released theatrically, and that was the only version available for many years and the one many people are most familiar with. I prefer Huston's intended version and agree that it adds so much to the film.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ken Koc said:
The gold tinted version played for one week only...hardly enough time for audiences to see it. I know as i worked at the Cinerama theater in San Diego when it opened.
Ah! So I was right when I said it had few showings :) I always thought from what I read at the time, that that was the case.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Does anyone know if this will play in Zone A? I'm dying to add another Elizabeth Taylor film on Blu-ray to my collection, but I'm holding off until I know I can actually play it. Hopefully when/if it's released in North America it will include both version of the film on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks