-

Photo
- - - - -

Did anyone catch Frank DeCaro's Interview With George Feltenstein today?

Warner

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,087 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:32 PM

I can't seem to find a way to watch/play this after the fact, so perhaps a member here can relate to us what transpired during the show. Thanks!

#2 of 28 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,235 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:47 PM

If you have a SiriusXM subscription you can play it back on demand. But for those who can't here's what they talked about.

He was there to promote the Grace Kelly DVD collection that came out today.

He talked briefly about the upcoming Blu-rays for Out of the Past and The Great Race.

They talked about the reason that Norman... Is That You? is not out is because it was shot on videotape and transferred to film. The film elements look like garbage so they are trying to track down all the original videotapes because the the videotapes they have were unfortunately edited for television.

They talked some about the loss of James Garner and the legacy of his work that is available through Warner. He mentioned that The Americanization of Emily Blu-ray became a bestseller as a result of the news.

And of course, due to Frank's bizarre interests, they talked about Gilligan's Planet.

There were no exclusive announcements.

• Brian McP and phillyrobt like this

#3 of 28 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,510 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thanks, Mark!

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#4 of 28 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,160 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 29 2014 - 08:31 PM

The moderator didn't ask about Blu releases of any of Grace's films?  Like High Society?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 28 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:11 PM

If you have a SiriusXM subscription you can play it back on demand. But for those who can't here's what they talked about.

He was there to promote the Grace Kelly DVD collection that came out today.

He talked briefly about the upcoming Blu-rays for Out of the Past and The Great Race.

They talked about the reason that Norman... Is That You? is not out is because it was shot on videotape and transferred to film. The film elements look like garbage so they are trying to track down all the original videotapes because the the videotapes they have were unfortunately edited for television.

They talked some about the loss of James Garner and the legacy of his work that is available through Warner. He mentioned that The Americanization of Emily Blu-ray became a bestseller as a result of the news.

And of course, due to Frank's bizarre interests, they talked about Gilligan's Planet.

There were no exclusive announcements.

To promote the DVD release of the Grace Kelly collection?  It is to laugh.  Seriously.  And they want to expend all this effort for Norman… Is That You because there's - demand?  Really?  I have never met a single person in forty years who has ever actually mentioned the film let alone desired to have it. Beyond outré.

#6 of 28 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,596 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:20 PM

I would have hoped we'd be getting "High Society" or "The Swan" on Blu-ray before this 'Collection', which is a yet another recycling job with the exception of Grace's final recorded interview.  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#7 of 28 Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:21 PM

"Gilligan's Planet" -- well, considering it is coming up to the 50th anniversary of the show in September, at least it's better than nothing. What I wouldn't give to have Warner Bros come out with a "Gilligan's Island" bluray box set with the complete series, four movie sequels and two cartoon series -- similar to the design and presentation they are giving to the upcoming "Batman" set -- here's hoping one day this might happen.

• JoeDoakes likes this

#8 of 28 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,235 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:29 PM

The moderator didn't ask about Blu releases of any of Grace's films?  Like High Society?

No. And I really didn't expect Frank to ask the kind of questions that HTF members would be interested in. It's not his agenda.

• Mark Walker and Mark_TB like this

#9 of 28 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:47 PM

POPULAR

To promote the DVD release of the Grace Kelly collection?  It is to laugh.  Seriously.  And they want to expend all this effort for Norman… Is That You because there's - demand?  Really?  I have never met a single person in forty years who has ever actually mentioned the film let alone desired to have it. Beyond outré.

George Feltenstein is primarily (solely?) involved in the Warner Archive, which specialized in the extreme niche titles.  In other words, they focus on catering to small core fandoms, and I'm sure this one is no different.  It may surprise you how many closet fans there are for these kinds of films.  I mean, we're talking about a label that bothered to do a new remaster of The Phynx.  The label is gain a pretty good rep from these sorts of fans, thanks to them actually going through the trouble of putting together a credibly home video release, unlike a lesser label that would grab a 20+ year old video master and dump it onto a disc.

Norman… Is That You?  will undoubtedly be an MOD title, so "demand" isn't much of an issue.

• Mark Cappelletty, Randy Korstick and Brian McP like this

#10 of 28 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,990 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 30 2014 - 04:22 AM

Norman...Is That You? is a dreadful film, and I'm certainly in no hurry to see it released. I'm sure there are those who are hungering for it, however.

#11 of 28 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 30 2014 - 04:34 AM

Norman...Is That You? is a dreadful film, and I'm certainly in no hurry to see it released. I'm sure there are those who are hungering for it, however.

I actually had the misfortune of seeing this in a theater in 1976. Redd Foxx was at the height of his popularity from "Sanford and Son" and it was written and directed by George Schlatter, the producer of "Laugh-In". It was based on a play that ran for all of 12 performances in 1970 (a review said "It was a comedy, not a tragedy except, perhaps, for those who bought tickets").

Absolutely one of the worst films I ever paid to see.....

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#12 of 28 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,681 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 30 2014 - 05:54 AM

Funny as dreadful as it is Warner Archive Instant is playing it now. I watched about 10 minutes of it, for I had never seen it, and turned it off for Dark Victory as more humor than this did, even though there was talent behind and in front of the camera. The transfer that is streaming looked pretty good though.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#13 of 28 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,162 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 30 2014 - 06:05 AM

It would be nice if the effort expended in finding the original tapes for Norman..Is That You? could be undertaken in finding the original tapes to a tape-to-film job people actually want, such as Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#14 of 28 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,990 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 30 2014 - 06:30 AM

Even though Norman had a very brief run on Broadway, it was a huge staple of dinner theaters and the straw hat circuit in the early 1970s which, I suspect, is why it was finally made into a film. I figured a film with Redd Foxx and Pearl Bailey couldn't be all bad, but I was certainly wrong.

• ahollis and ROclockCK like this

#15 of 28 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,874 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 07:04 AM

"Gilligan's Planet" -- well, considering it is coming up to the 50th anniversary of the show in September, at least it's better than nothing. What I wouldn't give to have Warner Bros come out with a "Gilligan's Island" bluray box set with the complete series, four movie sequels and two cartoon series -- similar to the design and presentation they are giving to the upcoming "Batman" set -- here's hoping one day this might happen.

Yes, and a Hot Wheels model of the S.S. Minnow!

• Steve...O and Brian McP like this

#16 of 28 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,497 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 07:45 AM

POPULAR

So strange...

I was just thinking of Norman...Is That You?  the other day.

I don't know why.  I think it was because I was thinking of Wayland

and Madame -- which is something I am not certain I am comfortable

admitting here.

I saw the film during its release.  Thought it was awful.  

Still, every bad film seems to be getting its due sooner or later so why not 

this one.

Would have liked to have heard the interview with George.  He's a good 

friend of this forum.  I personally love the guy to death -- one of my favorite

people in the world.  His personality is larger than life, and as thus, he must

have been very entertaining to listen to.  

You can call me a shill all you want, but I'm proud to say there's no better

person in this industry than George Feltenstein.   

• Reed Grele, Suzanne.S, JohnMor and 4 others like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 28 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 30 2014 - 07:53 AM

Shill all you want.....especially if it will charm Mr. Feltenstein into giving us some specifics on Warner's upcoming catalog BD's :)

• Suzanne.S likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#18 of 28 JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted July 30 2014 - 07:54 AM

So strange...

I was just thinking of Norman...Is That You?  the other day.

I don't know why.  I think it was because I was thinking of Wayland

and Madame -- which is something I am not certain I am comfortable

admitting here.

I saw the film during its release.  Thought it was awful.  

Still, every bad film seems to be getting its due sooner or later so why not 

this one.

Would have liked to have heard the interview with George.  He's a good 

friend of this forum.  I personally love the guy to death -- one of my favorite

people in the world.  His personality is larger than life, and as thus, he must

have been very entertaining to listen to.  

You can call me a shill all you want, but I'm proud to say there's no better

person in this industry than George Feltenstein.   

I couldn't agree with you more! In the prehistoric days before the internet I sent George Feltenstein letters praising the lasers WHV was releasing at the time and asking a lot of questions. I received personal responses from him every time within a week. Even through the written word Mr. Feltenstein's passion and enthusiasm for film came through loud and clear. A true professional and fine gentleman.

• MatthewA and davidmatychuk like this

#19 of 28 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 30 2014 - 08:01 AM

POPULAR

George Feltenstein has been my hero for about twenty-five years, going back to the MGM/UA laserdisc days.  His love for classic Hollywood filmmaking is second to none in the industry and we fans of films from the studio era will be forever grateful for his work and his passion.  It's not hyperbole to say that home video would not be what it is today if it weren't for him.

• MatthewA, Suzanne.S, JohnMor and 4 others like this

#20 of 28 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,497 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 08:01 AM

POPULAR

I couldn't agree with you more! In the prehistoric days before the internet I sent George Feltenstein letters praising the lasers WHV was releasing at the time and asking a lot of questions. I received personal responses from him every time within a week. Even through the written word Mr. Feltenstein's passion and enthusiasm for film came through loud and clear. A true professional and fine gentleman.

That's so very cool to hear and sounds like George.

He's extremely personable.  I think he knows and cares about his studio's

catalog titles more than anyone anywhere else in the industry.

He definitely is not in the position to make the final decision on what gets

released, but I know he pushes hard on the side of fans/collectors.

He's a dying breed as far as I am concerned.  

George Feltenstein has been my hero for about twenty-five years, going back to the MGM/UA laserdisc days.  His love for classic Hollywood filmmaking is second to none in the industry and we fans of films from the studio era will be forever grateful for his work and his passion.  It's not hyperbole to say that the home video industry would not be what it is today if it weren't for him.

Just read your reply, Rob, after I posted mine.

Agreed.   He's my hero as well.

• Rob_Ray, ahollis, Brian McP and 3 others like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users