What's new

Looking for Surround Sound ideas for older TV? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jade
I just picked up a 60'' or so Panasonic TV that is about 12 years old, a box TV to be specific.

Anyone have any ideas on moderately priced surround sound setup i could use for this TV in my mancave?*Edit* I'm looking for a 2.1 set-up, cheap but efficient.

What brand would be best for something like this, pioneer? If anybody remembers some of the surround sound systems they had with their older tvs please help me out with a suggestion.

*edit* would this do the trick?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/supersonic-2-1-home-theater-system-11-w-rms-dvd-player/1304694605.p?id=mp1304694605&skuId=1304694605

It would at the very least be an upgrade over the facotry speakers on this thing right?

Thank you

Real Name
Jade
schan1269 said:
If it has DVI, you can connect HDMI to it.
The hookups my TV has are

''' To Audio Amp L-R''

S-Video

and your standard Audio and Video hookups.

What is '' To Audio Amp''?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It means...Connection to an audio amp.Typically, TV back then had variable audio out. Being(as you say) 12 years old, I find it odd not having DVI.My three RPTV of the era(Mits, Hitachi and a Samsung) all were 1080i capable with DVI.Yes, pre DVI, HD RPTV exist. I wouldn't have bought one. I'd have gutted it and started a bonfire with the cabinet. There are people that still have them...as original owners.

Real Name
Jade
schan1269 said:
It means...

Connection to an audio amp.Typically, TV back then had variable audio out. Being(as you say) 12 years old, I find it odd not having DVI.My three RPTV of the era(Mits, Hitachi and a Samsung) all were 1080i capable with DVI.Yes, pre DVI, HD RPTV exist. I wouldn't have bought one. I'd have gutted it and started a bonfire with the cabinet.There are people that still have them...as original owners.
Yea this thing definitely isn't an HD TV, of any kind. I'm just looking for a passable audio experience in my rec room.
There were HD TVs back in 2002, news to me, i was only 14 at the time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anyway, with that TV, you have other options...Connect your sources to it(DVD player, STB etc...)Then feed the TV to powered speakers (computer speakers, AudioEngine...etc) or some "amp" and speakers.

Real Name
Jade

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It all depends how much money you have.I would purchase a $30-40 DVD player(go to goodwill. Last I was there perusing...DVD players were $5-$12...)Then get a $25-ish T-amp(Amazon has tons of them).Then any pair of speakers you want(Sony SS series is good and inexpensive)

Real Name
Jade
schan1269 said:
It all depends how much money you have.I would purchase a $30-40 DVD player(go to goodwill. Last I was there perusing...DVD players were $5-$12...)Then get a $25-ish T-amp(Amazon has tons of them).Then any pair of speakers you want(Sony SS series is good and inexpensive)
I have a pretty nice $50 Sony DVD player, what does it need for me to be able to hook these things up specifically though?

Can i please get a link to a T-Amp and Speaker set you would recommend? I'd be very grateful for the help!

Real Name
Jade
How do i even know if this TV supports surround sound? If it didn't, would my DVD player support it more than likely?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All DVD players support surround sound(that is why it has toslink or digital coax).If you have that already, buy anything made since 1991 that supports DD and 1996(I think) that supports DTS.Older non-HDMI AVR(and ever older pre-component) can be had for $75(I bet you could find somebody giving away a pre-component AVR).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Go to Ebay. Look for Technics SA DA(DA indicates digital).Everything will be cheap...and the later stuff will decode DTS. (On the front, they'll had DD stickers and the ones that do DTS will say so)Picking Technics because Panasonic killed Technics consumer right when component came along...so there aren't any.Panasonic component AVR are SA HE.

Real Name
Jade
schan1269 said:
All DVD players support surround sound(that is why it has toslink or digital coax).If you have that already, buy anything made since 1991 that supports DD and 1996(I think) that supports DTS.Older non-HDMI AVR(and ever older pre-component) can be had for $75(I bet you could find somebody giving away a pre-component AVR).
I'd like to purchase a set that comes with everything included that will hook right up to my DVD player or Satellite box.

Will be DVD and satellite player have all of the hook ups for this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-1000W-5-1-HDMI-Home-Theater-System-With-AV-Receiver-RT2911-/301244777552?pt=Home_Theater_in_a_Box&hash=item4623968450

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want surround sound from the STB, the audio system you buy has to have (repeating...HAS TO HAVE) a digital input.None of the systems you linked have that.You already have a DVD player. Why are you looking at bargain bin HTiB?

Real Name
Jade
I'm more of a noob that you know you i think! This is literally my first time looking at home theater audio equipment. I picked up a 60 inch TV for 10 bucks that was good as new and need a decent stereo system for it.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but it's a new language. What is STB and as far as digital input goes, where do i cover that? Does my DVD have that and the Technics cord is what allows me to access it? HTIB is also lost on me, i can only apologize for being such a noob.

I'm willing to buy whatever you recommend, seeing as you seem to have a pretty damn good knowledge of this equipment, even as far back as this TV dates. All i got on my Ebay Watchlist so far is this cord, i still need a T-Amp and some Speakers right? Any suggestions on a T-Amp?

Now if i want a 5.1 set up, how do i got about picking out speakers?

Real Name
Jade
What piece of equipment will i need to ensure has DD (Dolby Digital?) and DTS capabilities, i'd like to be able to enjoy both. Plenty of my Disney DVDs have DTS, so it's relevant to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks