Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection (Amazon Exclusive) - November 4, 2014

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 of 48 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 12:23 AM

I wish they'd make a better DCP of "2001" for theatrical use. The current one looks flat and lifeless to me. Got to see a 70mm print a couple weeks ago and it was breathtaking. Wouldn't mind a new scan at all.

If Stanley was still alive the new release of 2001 would be a 8K scan of the 65mm Neg.
  • WilliamMcK likes this

#42 of 48 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted August 01 2014 - 12:41 AM

If Stanley was still alive the new release of 2001 would be a 8K scan of the 65mm Neg.

If Stanley was still alive...don't you just wish.

• WilliamMcK likes this

#43 of 48 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 04:25 AM

There is already a black market for the Kubrick figurines...

stanley action figure.JPG

#44 of 48 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'm not sure I agree with that.  While Mr Kubrick was clearly an obsessive perfectionist in many aspects of his life and career, the evidence suggests that he didn't care anything about home video versions of his work.  He may also have been the only major cinematic artist who sought to destroy one of his own films (Fear and Desire) and suppress another (A Clockwork Orange).

I think that once a film had outlived its first-run theatrical life he lost all interest in it, apart perhaps from the residuals. 

• cafink likes this

#45 of 48 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,297 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 08:00 AM

There is already a black market for the Kubrick figurines...

attachicon.gifstanley action figure.JPG

THAT is just hideous... ;)

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#46 of 48 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm not sure I agree with that.  While Mr Kubrick was clearly an obsessive perfectionist in many aspects of his life and career, the evidence suggests that he didn't care anything about home video versions of his work.  He may also have been the only major cinematic artist who sought to destroy one of his own films (Fear and Desire) and suppress another (A Clockwork Orange).

I think that once a film had outlived its first-run theatrical life he lost all interest in it, apart perhaps from the residuals. 

Kubrick was heavily involved with many video versions of his films.  He supervised and approved the Criterion DR. STRANGELOVE and several early WB digital transfers, as well.  I think some people mistake his dislike for letterboxing his open-matte films on 4:3 home video as "not caring".  

Actually, the fact that he switched to shooting open-matte pretty much negates the idea that he "didn't care" about home video.  

Vincent

• WilliamMcK likes this

#47 of 48 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 03:54 AM

The old Kubrick aspect ratio debate, let's go! :) Kubrick wanted "open matte 4:3" on home video in a time when 16:9 tv sets were not very common. Same thing with Storaro with his 2.20:1 obsession. People watched ws films mainly from the 4:3 tv sets so some filmmakers felt that "more height is better" on home video.

Case closed! ;)

#48 of 48 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted December 02 2014 - 03:07 PM

If anyone sees a deal for this set like Amazon just did for The Sopranos BD ($109 !), let us know. I hate to be a sucker for double-dipping on most of these titles, but I do like the idea of all my Kubrick's in one spot like the Hitchcock collection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users