What's new

Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection (Amazon Exclusive) - November 4, 2014 (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
The re-release train continues... :)

(No word on new transfers and no mention of the Stanley Kubrick's Boxes documentary)

---------

This 10-disc Blu-ray collection includes eight Kubrick classics as well as two newly-produced documentaries: Kubrick Remembered and Stanley Kubrick in Focus, plus three additional documentaries: Once Upon a Time…’A Clockwork Orange’, Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures, and O Lucky Malcolm! Also included will be a new 78-page hardcover photo book using film archive photographs.

Films in the collection will be Lolita (1962), Dr. Strangelove (1964), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), Barry Lyndon (1975), The Shining (1980), Full Metal Jacket (1987) and Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Kubrick Remembered offers a new look into the Kubrick archives, with special appearances by the director’s wife, Christiane Kubrick, as well as never-seen footage of Stanley’s works, his house and his film production facilities. Stanley Kubrickin Focus presents such directors as Steven Spielberg, Steven Soderbergh, Oliver Stone, William Friedkin and Martin Scorsese relating how Kubrick’s directorial style influenced them.

Disc 1 – Lolita (1962)
Humbert (James Mason), a divorced British professor of French literature, travels to small-town America for a teaching position. He allows himself to be swept into a relationship with Charlotte Haze, his widowed and sexually famished landlady, whom he marries in order that he might pursue the woman's 14-year-old flirtatious daughter, Lolita, with whom he has fallen hopelessly in love, but whose affections shall be thwarted by a devious trickster named Clare Quilty.

Disc 2 – Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
The cold war satire is a chilling dark comedy about a psychotic Air Force General unleashing an ingenious, foolproof and irrevocable scheme sending bombers to attack Russia, as the U.S. President works with the Soviet premier in a desperate effort to save the world. The film stars Peter Sellers, in multiple roles, as well as George C. Scott and Sterling Hayden.

Disc 3 – 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Kubrick’s dazzling Academy Award®-winning achievement (Special Visual Effects) is an allegorical puzzle on the evolution of man and a compelling drama of man vs. machine. Featuring a stunning meld of music and motion, the film was also Oscar®-nominated for Best Director, Art Direction and Writing. The director (who co-wrote the screenplay with Arthur C. Clarke) first visits the prehistoric age-ancestry past, then leaps millennia (via one of the most mind-blowing jump cuts ever) into colonized space, and ultimately whisks astronaut Bowman (Keir Dullea) into uncharted space, perhaps even into immortality.

Disc 4 – A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Causing major controversy when first released, the film garnered four Academy Award® nominations – Best Picture, Best Director, Best Film Editing and Best Screenplay. The film also introduced into popular culture the concept of “ultra-violence,” as singing, tap-dancing, derby-topped hooligan Alex (Malcolm McDowell) has a “good time” – at the tragic expense of others. His journey from amoral punk to brainwashed proper citizen and back again forms the dynamic arc of Kubrick’s future-shock vision of Anthony Burgess’ novel.

Disc 5 – Barry Lyndon (1975)
Redmond Barry (Ryan O’Neal) is a young, roguish Irishman who's determined, in any way, to make a life for himself as a wealthy nobleman. Enlisting in the British Army and fighting in Europe’s Seven Years War, Barry deserts, then joins the Prussian army, gets promoted to the rank of a spy, and becomes a pupil to a Chevalier and con artist/gambler. Barry then lies, dupes, duels and seduces his way up the social ladder, entering into a lustful but loveless marriage to a wealthy countess named Lady Lyndon (Marisa Berenson). He takes the name of Barry Lyndon, settles in England with wealth and power beyond his wildest dreams, before eventually falling into ruin.

Disc 6 – The Shining (1980)
From a script he co-adapted from the Stephen King novel, Kubrick melds vivid performances, menacing settings, dreamlike tracking shots and shock after shock into a milestone of the macabre. The Shining is the director’s epic tale of a man in a snowbound hotel descending into murderous delusions. In a signature role, Jack Nicholson (“Heeeere’s Johnny!”) stars as Jack Torrance, who’s come to the elegant, isolated Overlook Hotel as off-season caretaker with his wife (Shelley Duvall) and son (Danny Lloyd).

Disc 7 – Full Metal Jacket (1987)
A superb ensemble falls in for Stanley Kubrick’s brilliant saga about the Vietnam War and the dehumanizing process that turns people into trained killers. The scathing indictment of a film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Screenplay. ‘Joker’ (Matthew Modine), ‘Animal Mother’ (Adam Baldwin), ‘Gomer’ (Vincent D’Onofrio), ‘Eightball’ (Dorian Harewood) and ‘Cowboy’ (Arliss Howard) are some of the Marine recruits experiencing boot-camp hell under the punishing command of the foul-mouthed Sergeant Hartman (R. Lee Ermy). The action is savage, the story unsparing, and the dialogue is spiked with scathing humor.

Disc 8 – Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
Kubrick’s daring and controversial last film is a bracing psychosexual journey through a haunting dreamscape, a riveting suspense tale and a career milestone for stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Cruise plays a doctor who plunges into an erotic foray that threatens his marriage – and may ensnare him in a murder mystery – after his wife’s (Kidman) admission of sexual longings. As the story sweeps from doubt and fear to self-discovery and reconciliation, Kubrick orchestrates it with masterful flourishes. His graceful tracking shots, rich colors and startling images are some of the bravura traits that show Kubrick as a filmmaker for the ages.

Disc 9 – Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures / O’ Lucky Malcolm!

[*]Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures
[/list]Stanley Kubrick’s career comes into sharp focus in the compelling and revealing documentary narrated by Tom Cruise. A detailed picture of the cinematic legend emerges via fascinating footage of Kubrick in his early years, at work on film sets and at home, and via candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues, and family. From the music he chose to the cameras he used to his unrealized projects (including A.I. Artificial Intelligence, the much- anticipated Kubrick project directed by Steven Spielberg), you’ll uncover a treasure trove of film-buff information. Drawing on Kubrick archives, it offers for the first time a truly intimate portrait of his life among family and friends. There has never been a more essential visual companion piece to the man and his movies.

[*]O’ Lucky Malcolm!
Documentary about the life and career of actor Malcolm McDowell produced and directed by Jan Harlan.
[/list]

Disc 10 – Kubrick Remembered / Stanley Kubrick in Focus / Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange

[*]Kubrick Remembered – NEW
A new look into the Kubrick archives, with special appearances by Christiane Kubrick. Featuring never-seen footage of Stanley’s works, his house and his film production facilities.
[/list]

[*]Stanley Kubrick in Focus – NEW to Blu-ray
Spielberg, Soderbergh, Stone, Friedkin, Scorsese and others tell how Kubrick’s directorial style influenced them and how his unique style was developed.
[/list]

[*]Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange – NEW to the U.S.
[/list]Co-written by critic Michel Ciment and featuring interviews with a psychologist and a sociologist, Once Upon a Time … ‘A Clockwork Orange’ is a wonderfully unusual cine-documentary that focuses more on the titular movie’s historical context and philosophy than on its production and reception. The documentary benefits from archival audio commentary by the late Stanley Kubrick, who offers his rationale for making the controversial, devilishly prescient proto-punk cult classic: “Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.”

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
Even though I have every movie in this set on BD, I MIGHT consider selling them off to buy it IF Barry Lyndon is presented in the proper aspect ratio and Clockwork Orange was remastered. That's not asking too much, but I doubt if either will happen.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Same re-packing of previous other bluray,

2001: A Space Odyssey is the same re-mixed down all the directional dialogue panning mostly to centre channel. I only watch the Laserdisc or the MGM out of print DVD region 1, that has all the directional dialogue panning going on and makes the film way better sounding over bluray HD-DVD and the later DVD release or here in UK was released on 2001 lol, yet I noticed it back then and was so disappointed.

I would wait for a proper 2001 with the 70mm soundtrack not these dreadful re-mixes.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I have the bluray of 2001 and would swear that the aspect ratio is more like 1:85 not 2:20 as it should be.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
trajan said:
I have the bluray of 2001 and would swear that the aspect ratio is more like 1:85 not 2:20 as it should be.
You'd be wrong about that. It's definitely 2.20:1. If it was 1.85:1 it would basically fill a 16x9 TV.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
I recall a test trail of NICAM 725 on BBC2 around 1988? of 2001 and the aspect ratio was very WIDE!! It was so narrow on the tv I swear I was seeing a lot more of the film. Too bad NICAM test trail was in the upper regions of London, not the Southern region. I recorded it but think the tape got re-recoded over again. It had all the reel change over dots in full view with lot more image to the side rather than seeing the reel change over dots slightly cropped off on the upper right corner it was full oval shape.

Checked with IMDB
2.35 :1 on 35mm so what I was seeing was a 35mm print.

70mm 2.20:1 if it was 70mm the reel change over dots are round not oval shape.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Somebody please let me know when disc 10 is available separately and I'll pick it up.
I already have all of Kubrick's movies on Blu, including the 2 Criterions and the 1 Kino.
I don't need to buy everything all over again just to pick up the new documentaries.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Oh for the love of all that's cinematically holy WB...stop diluting the potential market for these films and remaster instead of recycling and reissuing! Just 2 of these titles, 2001 and Barry Lyndon, properly redone at 4k or better with archival-class workflow plus a new encode and 50GB footprint, could anchor a Kubrick über-box. If that means most of these titles would remain out of the market for a year or so, then so be it...you'll have a much improved product and stronger sales at the other end.

I swear this company has pools betting on how many times fans will re-buy the same legacy master.

Yeeeesh!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
ROclockCK said:
Not really Andrew. I read "2001", which was released in 1968.

It's the heat. ;)
Its been a heatwave over here for months. Its now cooling down. I know what you mean when your sweating like a hog, and we have Warner Bros, with this load BS re-issue of the same titles and some new extras that you can no doubt watch on youtube for FREE!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
ROclockCK said:
Oh for the love of all that's cinematically holy WB...stop diluting the potential market for these films and remaster instead of reissuing! Just 2 of these titles, 2001 and Barry Lyndon, properly redone at 4k or better with archival-class workflow plus a new encode and 50GB footprint, could anchor a Kubrick über-box. If that means most of these titles would remain out of the market for a year or so, then so be it...you'll have a much improved product and stronger sales at the other end.

I swear this company has pools betting on how many times fans will re-buy the same legacy master.

Yeee
I have 5 copies of 2001...2 laserdisc including the Criterion laserdisc box set and 2 dvd's and one blu-ray...so i will wait untill i get so crazy in the head to get a sixth copy!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
atcolomb said:
I have 5 copies of 2001...2 laserdisc including the Criterion laserdisc box set and 2 dvd's and one blu-ray...so i will wait untill i get so crazy in the head to get a sixth copy!
My pressings of 2001. "Still the ultimate trip"

995678_10151690857760149_370271511_n.jpg

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Disc 10 – Kubrick Remembered / Stanley Kubrick in Focus / Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange

[*]Kubrick Remembered – NEW
A new look into the Kubrick archives, with special appearances by Christiane Kubrick. Featuring never-seen footage of Stanley’s works, his house and his film production facilities.
[/list]
:lol: What, is she a movie or pop star now? A bit pretentious to say the least.

Anyway, WB wouldn't be WB if they weren't re-releasing something for at least the second or third time on blu-ray. It does give one a sense of consistency in an ever changing world.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
Wait a second, Andy.Where's the Criterion laserdisc????
I checked LDDB all are 2.20:1 none that I can see at 2.35:1. Hold that.

I found this pressing. That says its 2.35:1 I wonder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks