Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Great Race Blu-ray via WAC - 9/9

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 of 103 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 31 2014 - 10:21 AM

Yep, that's what it's all about.  I watched the DVD a couple of years ago after having not seen the movie in quite a few years, and I thought it had aged perfectly, too.

#62 of 103 OFFLINE   bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 05:43 PM

I LOVE Professor Fate. Lemmon's hyperactive over-the-topness is essential to that role, IMO. Lemmon and Falk make a 'formidable' pair of bad guys.

#63 of 103 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 31 2014 - 06:17 PM

Lemmon himself was on the record as not liking his work in the film, but I've always found his performance side-splitting, and he's hilarious as the Prince, too, and adopting the Scottish brogue when in disguise in the automobile board room.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#64 of 103 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 06:50 PM

POPULAR

I love it when Lemmon as the prince turns to the dog on the bed and says" I hate you"  Let's not forget the great score by Henry Mancini.

• Randy Korstick, Matt Hough and ahollis like this

#65 of 103 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 31 2014 - 06:54 PM

From what I've read, the actual filming wasn't Natalie's best experience either.  Not that you could ever tell from her performance onscreen, which is simply joyous.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#66 of 103 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted July 31 2014 - 07:08 PM

If I was Warner Archive, I would included an episode or two of the Wacky Races, as the whole movie is basically the pilot of the 1968 Hanna-Barbera series. I was watching some clips earlier on YouTube and Professor Fate is Dick Dastardly, wouldn't it of been something if Paul Winchel was casted at Fate and not Lemmon.

#67 of 103 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 01 2014 - 04:40 AM

I love it when Lemmon as the prince turns to the dog on the bed and says" I hate you"  Let's not forget the great score by Henry Mancini.

Absolutely. Henry Mancini's music resonates from one wonderful sequence to the next, and I played his album of themes from the movie constantly. I was sorry that Jackie Ward's vocal for "The Sweetheart Tree" (dubbing for Natalie) wasn't on that album. Dorothy Provine's song, of course, was (in a rerecorded version; the album was not from the soundtrack of the movie.)

• Randy Korstick and ahollis like this

#68 of 103 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted August 01 2014 - 05:02 AM

Yes, I am one of those people who does not love this film. Even as a kid I remember getting annoyed with Jack Lemmon yelling all the time. But the production values are good and the music score is excellent! (And can be downloaded from ITunes.)

#69 of 103 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,477 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 06:04 AM

I showed the film to a cousin of mine and his wife back in the mid 90's on Laserdisc. Both were surprised they had never seen the film and both were shocked that Jack Lemmon didn't win an Oscar for the role especially after they saw the second role in the film. It is a great performance, definitely my personal favorite of his. Hollywood rarely gives Oscars for comedic roles which is a shame.

Lemmon himself was on the record as not liking his work in the film, but I've always found his performance side-splitting, and he's hilarious as the Prince, too, and adopting the Scottish brogue when in disguise in the automobile board room.

• Matt Hough likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#70 of 103 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 01 2014 - 06:56 AM

Ha, I thought I was the only one, I love that line (it helps that I don't like dogs), the film is chock full of great lines...& then there's Texas Jack!

I'd love it if the original soundtrack (as heard in the film) was released. I think it's one of Mancini's greatest. I wonder if the music tapes survived?

#71 of 103 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 01 2014 - 07:00 AM

Ha, I thought I was the only one, I love that line (it helps that I don't like dogs), the film is chock full of great lines...& then there's Texas Jack!

I'd love it if the original soundtrack (as heard in the film) was released. I think it's one of Mancini's greatest. I wonder if the music tapes survived?

Well, they've done real original soundtrack recording releases for Breakfast at Tiffany's and Charade (a dear friend made me aware of them by gifting them to me), so I don't see why it couldn't be done for The Great Race. I'd love to have them, too, especially to have Provine's complete song and the Jackie Ward version of the Oscar-nominated "The Sweetheart Tree."

#72 of 103 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 06 2014 - 11:50 PM

Review (& screencaps) up on Blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/56289/#Review

• frik likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#73 of 103 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 06 2014 - 11:52 PM

Well, they've done real original soundtrack recording releases for Breakfast at Tiffany's and Charade (a dear friend made me aware of them by gifting them to me), so I don't see why it couldn't be done for The Great Race. I'd love to have them, too, especially to have Provine's complete song and the Jackie Ward version of the Oscar-nominated "The Sweetheart Tree."

The soundtrack was reissued on CD but is OOP and commanding crazy prices:

http://www.amazon.co...race soundtrack

#74 of 103 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 07 2014 - 04:11 AM

The soundtrack was reissued on CD but is OOP and commanding crazy prices:

http://www.amazon.co...race soundtrack

Yeah, but that's not a soundtrack album. It's Henry Mancini's "Music from the Film Score" re-recording of themes from the movie. It's better than nothing, but it cuts out a verse or so of Dorothy Provine's song and doesn't feature the Jackie Ward vocal on "The Sweetheart Tree" that a REAL soundtrack album would have.

Mancini did that with most of his big film score albums in the 1960s. They weren't soundtracks but rather studio recordings that could be played as pop/jazz albums.

#75 of 103 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted September 07 2014 - 05:18 AM

You can buy the soundtrack on I-Tunes.  It might not be exactly what you want, but it still gives you the themes and Dorothy Provine and is quite well done.

#76 of 103 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 07 2014 - 06:26 AM

For myself, I have the LP in stereo so I don't need another version of that. What I'd like to see is some enterprising label like Kritzerland try to get the soundtrack masters and make a TRUE soundtrack album as was done with Breakfast at Tiffany's and Charade, CDs I now play much more frequently than Mancini's RCA pop score albums of those films' themes.

• Charles Smith likes this

#77 of 103 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 317 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted September 07 2014 - 06:29 AM

Legacy (Sony) is releasing a Henry Mancini box set. I am fairly certain that these are Mancini's "studio" versions, but it looks like there may be some interesting bonus tracks. (I, too, would love the actual movie soundtrack score of Great Race.)

In a career that spanned nearly half a century, Henry Mancini (1924-1994) became synonymous with catchy, jazzy, romantic music for film and television soundtracks. The Classic Soundtrack Collection, showcases all of Mancini s soundtrack albums for the RCA, Epic and Columbia labels, including several of his most iconic and beloved scores. 

The collection features 18 original Mancini soundtrack albums on nine discs plus rare bonus tracks, including a never-before-heard version of Nothing To Lose from writer-director Blake Edwards 1968 comedy The Party performed by Julie Andrews. Taken together, the albums in this collection underline the enduring popularity of Henry Mancini and his unique ability to create movie music that pop audiences could also embrace.

ALBUMS LIST
1. THE PINK PANTHER (1964) / THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER (1975)
2. BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY S (1961) / CHARADE (1963)
3. HATARI! (1962) / OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973)
4. WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY? (1966) / HIGH TIME (1960)
5. EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) / DARLING LILI (1970)
6. GUNN (1967) / WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE? (1978)
7. TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967) / ARABESQUE (1966)
8. THE GREAT RACE (1965) / ME, NATALIE (1969)
9. THE PARTY (1968) / VISIONS OF EIGHT (1973)

mancini.jpg

#78 of 103 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 07 2014 - 06:37 AM

Two for the Road, another glorious film with a masterpiece score by Mancini. For me, it's unthinkable that neither the title song nor the score were Oscar nominated that year. I guess the film's lack of box-office clout spilled over when the composers began their nominating process.

Yes, those definitely look like the studio albums for most of the films named, but they do represent a lot of spectacular music.

• bujaki likes this

#79 of 103 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 02:06 PM

Me Natalie...wow. It also has a song by Rod McKuen.    Too bad the film has never been released on DVD.  It features Al Pacino's first film.

Ken

#80 of 103 OFFLINE   Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 03:24 PM

With RAH's rave last week and today's new review, The Great Race's arrival on Blu is certainly shaping up to be one of the top releases of the year. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.
  • atfree likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users