Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Great Race Blu-ray via WAC - 9/9

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 of 103 ONLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,082 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:32 PM

I feel kind of left out since I could never get into this one despite loving all three of the stars. 

Nice to see it getting the treatment it deserves though. 

#22 of 103 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:38 PM

I'm extremely happy. This has been on my want list for a long time. I am convinced that Warner's does listen to the members of this forum. Thank you WAC.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#23 of 103 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:38 PM

Slightly OT - I think Natalie Wood was at her absolute loveliest in this film.  Her Edith Head costumes are a-ma-zing. 

Attached Images

• tumblr_mvewibSmHw1qdfdhao1_1280.jpg

• Ken Koc and Richard M S like this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#24 of 103 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:41 PM

I feel kind of left out since I could never get into this one despite loving all three of the stars. 

Nice to see it getting the treatment it deserves though. 

I never did, either, even with a close friend who LOVED it.  As with It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I plan on getting and revisiting this title to see if my opinion has changed over the three decades since I watched it.  I did enjoy IAMMMMW much more, so maybe the same will happen here.

• ahollis likes this

#25 of 103 OFFLINE   frik

frik

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:46 PM

Finally!

This announcement made my day!

sk

• Ken Koc likes this

tumblr_m6pkwrRRJH1qavb8jo2_250.gif

#26 of 103 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:51 PM

This is one of those that could definitely use the blu-ray boost. The DVD was kinda sub-par in overall detail.

#27 of 103 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:55 PM

For some reason I enjoy the first act more than the extended "Prisoner of Zenda" plot of the second half.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#28 of 103 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:17 PM

It is a great film and now it being available on Blu-Ray makes it even that much more satisfying.

#29 of 103 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 29 2014 - 12:16 AM

What a lovely surprise. Thank you Warner.

#30 of 103 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 12:19 AM

Thank you Warner at Last.

#31 of 103 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted July 29 2014 - 01:22 AM

Years after first seeing THE GREAT RACE in Cinerama I found out that I'd been misled in assuming it was a genuine 70mm film and not a blow-up from 35mm. Nevertheless the picture quality was so good that it totally fooled me (as it did later with DOCTOR ZHIVAGO). Thoroughly enjoyed the film although, like MAD WORLD, I think this type of epic broad comedy works best with a theatre audience.

#32 of 103 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 29 2014 - 01:38 AM

This is great news and I am pleased for the many fans on here (alas I am not one of them). Perhaps Around the World in 80 Days will also be announced soon.

#33 of 103 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 02:23 AM

Years after first seeing THE GREAT RACE in Cinerama I found out that I'd been misled in assuming it was a genuine 70mm film and not a blow-up from 35mm. Nevertheless the picture quality was so good that it totally fooled me (as it did later with DOCTOR ZHIVAGO). Thoroughly enjoyed the film although, like MAD WORLD, I think this type of epic broad comedy works best with a theatre audience.

When I saw a 70mm print in 2010 in Bradford on the Cinerama screen it looked as good as a 65mm production, one
of the best blow ups I have seen.
Also they had to frame the picture up to get the subtitles in when the song comes on because of the cropping of the picture in Cinerama.

#34 of 103 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 29 2014 - 02:24 AM

I suppose you'd bracket The Great Race with the other two epic comedies of the time, Mad World & Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines. I like Mad World (great Blu-ray), not so keen on Magnificent Men these days (didn't buy the TT release), but The Great Race has always been my favourite, it's the only one out of the three that still makes me laugh out loud these days. I went & saw it three times when it was released (the only film to beat that was Jason & The Argonauts). Warner never released the DVD in the UK, I imported it from Germany, & will import this from America (& it will probably work out cheaper than the DVD was).

#35 of 103 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 29 2014 - 04:14 AM

My brother and I used to have fights over which was the funnier film: Mad World or Great Race. The Great Race was and always has been my favorite.

#36 of 103 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 06:45 AM

Great news as this is one of my favorite films. I agree that Natalie Wood is at the peak of her beauty in this film. I also think this is one of Jack Lemon's finest performances and his most criminally underrated one with not one but two different great roles. This movie has a great supporting cast too. Should be a great blu. I like IAMMMW but Love The Great Race.

• classicmovieguy likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#37 of 103 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 06:52 AM

I think, on this forum, in anther thread about The Great Race, there was a discussion about an audio error during the credits on the DVD:  booing (when there should be cheering, and/or vice versa.

Is the expectation that the error will be fixed on the Blu-Ray?

#38 of 103 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:21 AM

I think, on this forum, in anther thread about The Great Race, there was a discussion about an audio error during the credits on the DVD:  booing (when there should be cheering, and/or vice versa.

Yeah, when Tony Curtis comes up on the credits there's cheers & with Jack Lemmon it was boo's. It was correct on my German DVD, but I understand it was switched on the American DVD, but I think Warner had corrected it, so on the latter DVDs it was right.

#39 of 103 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:21 AM

*-Well, it was fixed in subsequent DVD copies, so I am sure it is.

#40 of 103 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yeah it was corrected a few months after the DVD came out.

*-Well, it was fixed in subsequent DVD copies, so I am sure it is.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users