Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ALIEN 35th Anniversary blu-ray

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 01:15 PM

'Ello, wot's all this, then?

10534635_10152571523666605_3027152037179

http://www.alienrevolt.com/

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted July 27 2014 - 01:30 PM

'ere, wot is all this?

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 01:34 PM

I guess this is just part of the bigger 35th anniversary plans from Fox:
http://dailydead.com...les-video-game/

But new transfer? New extras? These are the real questions. I have to assume that it's the transfer from the box set.
  • Johnny Angell likes this

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted July 27 2014 - 01:46 PM

I guess this is just part of the bigger 35th anniversary plans from Fox:
http://dailydead.com...les-video-game/

But new transfer? New extras? These are the real questions. I have to assume that it's the transfer from the box set.

Yes, the transfer was great. Maybe 4K? There can't possibly be more extras, can there?

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yes, the transfer was great. Maybe 4K? There can't possibly be more extras, can there?

I asked Charles de Lauzirika about that years ago, and he said they pretty much showed us every frame of footage they could find.

All I can think of that's missing is an interview with Yaphet Kotto. CdL said Ian Holm politely declined to be interviewed, but Yaphet was gung-ho. However, their schedules just couldn't align by deadline.

Still, I'll be watching closely! :)

• Dr Griffin likes this

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 01:54 PM

"There can't possibly be more extras, can there?"

Probably the only one I could think of would be the solo audio commentary from Sigourney (or perhaps from Ridley & Sigourney). Maybe some Alien fans have more ideas, though?
  • Dr Griffin likes this

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:32 PM

I don't know when it's coming but there's a new Alien video game (featuring the Nostromo characters) on the way so maybe this is just a re-release of the existing discs to tie-in with the game?

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:39 PM

I don't know when it's coming but there's a new Alien video game (featuring the Nostromo characters) on the way so maybe this is just a re-release of the existing discs to tie-in with the game?

That game (Alien Isolation, about which I'm very excited, even though I'm not a gamer) is coming out the same day as this blu-ray: October 7. So I bet you're right, until we get something to tell us otherwise.

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,735 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:41 PM

I know Kotto, Weaver, Skerrit, and Cartwright are all adding their voices to the new "Alien Isolation" video game releasing this October. Perhaps they could add some more input for new special features....or maybe they already have.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:46 PM

I know Kotto, Weaver, Skerrit, and Cartwright are all adding their voices to the new "Alien Isolation" video game releasing this October. Perhaps they could add some more input for new special features....or maybe they already have.

Also Stanton! 

"Right."  :P

• Jeff Robertson and andySu like this

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:54 PM

Also Stanton! 

"Right."  :P

"Right". ha, ha :P

So does mean re-packing ALIEN as same as the previous bluray release or another redo 4K. "What's the story mother?"

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 27 2014 - 03:07 PM

The studio's love their anniversaries, i can't see this being anything other than a re-packaging, the last release was from a 4K scan, maybe technology has improved a little but not enough to make me buy it again as i think the current release is good and already has a ton of extra content, mind you i should add never say never, maybe Fox can twist my arm again.  :D

• andySu likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 03:20 PM

The studio's love their anniversaries, i can't see this being anything other than a re-packaging, the last release was from a 4K scan, maybe technology has improved a little but not enough to make me buy it again as i think the current release is good and already has a ton of extra content, mind you i should add never say never, maybe Fox can twist my arm again.  :D

I'm inclined to agree with you. If Creative Assembly/Sega had been scrambling to have their game's release date match Fox's blu-ray, I might have thought otherwise. But in this case, it's the reverse.

Still, it's Alien. So, I'm all ears.  :D

• andySu likes this

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,100 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted July 27 2014 - 03:21 PM

Can't add much more to this discussion than what everybody else above already have -- the supplemental features on the Alien Anthology boxed set are already so exhaustive and comprehensive, there's probably very little new left to say at this point about this particular movie.

Predicting something tying into the upcoming video game, as well (which I'm completely stoked for, on a totally unrelated side-note).

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 03:44 PM

I can't see how they could improve the old transfer (it and Aliens were both remastered in 4k for the Anthology IIRC, Alien 3 and Res weren't because of the added effects). Seems pointless to me.

• andySu and Cremildo like this

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 27 2014 - 04:20 PM

POPULAR

So we get another unnecessary reissue but no Abyss or True Lies. Enough of this crap. 

• andySu, atfree and sonomatom1 like this

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 05:14 PM

Or maybe Fox, can put a kittyhugger on you, to change your mind?

For a short while then Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

10565032_10152587076970149_2616102480042

I doubt it will have the THX AC-3 70mm mag track version on bluray, That one is reserved for THX laseridisc. :P

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 05:24 PM

So we get another unnecessary reissue but no Abyss or True Lies. Enough of this crap. 

Yes my sentiment exactly.

Fox, should get serious and stop trying to buy Warner bros for $80 billion that was refused and release THE ABYSS  / TRUE LIES.

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 11:52 PM

The upcoming Isolation video game looks very promising. Let's hope that they record new interviews with the cast at least (for the BD).

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 28 2014 - 05:37 AM

I am so sick of reissues, not just from Fox but every studio. I know these reissues are apparently money-makers (and a lot of pure profit if all that changes is the packaging) but I sure wish they'd throw a few of the dollars generated by these reissues toward some NEW catalog releases, especially for new releases that are at , or approaching, important anniversary milestones. Sorry for beating a dead horse.....;

• Johnny Angell and andySu like this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users