-

Photo
- - - - -

Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray?

1. Yes (54 votes [73.97%])

Percentage of vote: 73.97%

2. No, I give it to my friends (11 votes [15.07%])

Percentage of vote: 15.07%

3. No, I give it to my family (6 votes [8.22%])

Percentage of vote: 8.22%

4. No, I burn it so no one else has to suffer SD-quality! (2 votes [2.74%])

Percentage of vote: 2.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 of 37 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,709 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 25 2014 - 09:01 PM

Yes and no. If I thought my mother would like it I gave it to her if not, I kept it.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 37 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts

Posted July 26 2014 - 07:09 AM

I often give them away to family members who have not gone Blu. It may not be hi-def, but it at least reflects my impeccable taste.

#23 of 37 Gipsy

Gipsy

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted July 26 2014 - 07:49 AM

I don't see the need to keep the DVD,so i either sell them or give them to a friend.

#24 of 37 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 26 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yes, it stays in the case, not doing any harm. I don't think I could sell it for very much, no case or cover, it's not worth the effort, & I don't know anyone who want's DVD's. I don't know why they do it, if I'd wanted a DVD I'd have bought one. I think it's a passing fad.

#25 of 37 Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted July 26 2014 - 11:19 AM

All the extra DVD's go straight to my local library, where they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

• gruagach likes this

#26 of 37 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,939 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 04:44 AM

i'm frankly shocked at the # of people keeping DVDs! lolz

to me... high-def quality should be what we should striving for (especially on forums like this). you can get BD players for home in any room, portable in cars, small laptops, pretty much anywhere. you can even remove the 'need it for the minivan' because they make BD players for the cars now... replacing the old SD DVDs. guess people just dont want to put that much $ into EVERYTHING.

#27 of 37 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,873 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:24 AM

I've got quite a few DVDs that came in combo packs lying around, mostly collecting dust on various countertops. Why don't I keep them in the original case, you might ask. Well, many of those combo packs were eco cases, which I hate with a passion. I've converted many BD/DVD combo packs into singles using normal cases, so that leaves me with a bit of a storage problem for the extra discs. I don't trust binders so they're not an option. I'm considering giving them away for free to any member here within the vicinity of my location (New York City) who would like them and are able to pick them up in person in Manhattan. Many of them are Shout Factory titles.

#28 of 37 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:42 AM

Noone cares about movies, DVDs, Blurays from my family/friends.

Also, even if I don't want the DVD, I don't throw it away, because I want to have the release as I bought it, without anything taken out, or making a custom cover etc..

The thing I do is trying to find a release that doesn't have a DVD if that's possible.

Exactly....if I HAVE to buy the BD/DVD set, I keep the DVD so the set is complete but I always try to find a BD only version.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#29 of 37 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,320 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:49 AM

I'll never get rid of my 2500 + DVDs. I have bookcases of movies covering two large walls. (grabs a DVD kisses it gently)

But alas it's my (nearly 1000) Blu-rays that get viewed most often.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#30 of 37 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:51 AM

to me... high-def quality should be what we should striving for (especially on forums like this). you can get BD players for home in any room, portable in cars, small laptops, pretty much anywhere. you can even remove the 'need it for the minivan' because they make BD players for the cars now... replacing the old SD DVDs. guess people just dont want to put that much $ into EVERYTHING.

I have 4 kids, 3 with Xbox 360's which they use for watching DVD's, my daughter has a dvd player. Plus we have a dual-monitor DVD for the car that mounts each screen to the headrest. 3 laptops which kids take on vacations, etc (only 1 has a BD drive). Our only BD player is in our living room with main TV/home theater system. So, we'd have to buy 4 new BD players, 3 new laptops (or replace DVD drives with BD drives), plus a new portable BD (with dual monitors) for the car to make ourselves "whole" in terms of converting from DVD to BD. My guesstimate is it would be over $1000 in costs.

Unfortunately, my kids could care less whether it's DVD, BD, or streaming as long as they can watch it wherever they want (yes, I have failed as a role-model).

DVD was (and still is) pervasive.....another reason BD has struggled in some ways.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#31 of 37 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 12:22 PM

I don't think I could do it!

I can't even bring myself to take the Skyfall Blu-ray disc from the standalone release and put it in the slot in the Bond 50 set that says "place reserved for Skyfall" - because then I'd have an empty "Skyfall" Blu-ray case.  And the disc art from the standalone Skyfall release doesn't match the Bond 50 disc art. 

Yeah, I'm definitely too OCD to break up existing packages.

+1! I have this exact same issue! I've contemplated buying a second Skyfall BD to fill that gap but I figure that would just be crazy. 

I've got BD players with all my TVs in the house however I still watch DVDs for various reasons (such as different transfers, sound options, titles not released on BD or titles released on BD that I have decided not to buy for some reason or another). I also like to "save" the best presentation for the home theatre screen. Plus my main television is a Pioneer Kuro and it makes standard definition look amazing.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#32 of 37 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,967 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 28 2014 - 01:19 PM

I generally hang onto my DVDs, but I have a 19 year-old daughter who likes to pilfer certain titles. Since she's in college and a "starving student", I usually let it slip, but in some cases (where the DVD includes the Digital Copy), I won't let her have it until I've successfully uploaded the DC to my cloud drive.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#33 of 37 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 05:45 PM

I usually hang on to the DVDs, but if it a title that my young niece would like I give it to her.

#34 of 37 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,498 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:47 PM

+1! I have this exact same issue! I've contemplated buying a second Skyfall BD to fill that gap but I figure that would just be crazy. 

Me too, and same conclusion!

• Dale MA likes this

#35 of 37 BRAD1963

BRAD1963

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 03:01 PM

Yes,  I keep them.  My OCD will not allow for an empty space where the DVD's would have been.  

• Josh Steinberg and Dale MA like this

#36 of 37 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 06:34 PM

I keep the DVD but throw away the digital copy disc out of general principle.
My DVDs

#37 of 37 WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted July 31 2014 - 12:55 PM

When I visit family members or friends who don't have a blu-ray player I find the dvd comes in handy!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users