Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Christmas Carol (1938)- coming to BD 11/11/14

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,143 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 24 2014 - 05:37 AM

Just confirmed courtesy of Akijima at the other site:

w2bUwGF.jpg

• lukejosephchung likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:34 AM

I bet that this will look spectacular.  Of course, I always wonder about that scene where a 20 year old Ann Rutherford, in a long blond wig, shows up at Scrooge's bedside.

• Will Krupp likes this

#3 of 13 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm in

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,122 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 08:41 AM

I bet that this will look spectacular.  Of course, I always wonder about that scene where a 20 year old Ann Rutherford, in a long blond wig, shows up at Scrooge's bedside.

Hahah.  It's funny you mention that.  I've always said the only two things that bother me about this version are :

A)  It's length.  It's way too short (programmer length) and would be so much more satisfying if they hadn't neglected the middle part of Scrooge's life.

B)  The obviously man-made and "costumey" head piece they make poor Ann Rutherford wear on top of that blonde wig.

I love it though, and it's one of the last things I would have expected on blu-ray so I'm not complaining!

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 08:49 AM

While my favourite version is the 1951 Sim version, this adaptation is very charming and I'm thrilled that it's being released on Blu-ray the same day as "Christmas in Connecticut", another favourite. Both are day one purchases for me!

• Will Krupp likes this

#6 of 13 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 24 2014 - 12:37 PM

This is probably the only version I haven't seen. My favorites are 1951 and 1970. Should I go for it?

#7 of 13 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,625 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 24 2014 - 12:41 PM

Not a favorite version of the tale, but I'll consider adding it to the collection. I already have it on DVD from a Warners Christmas-related DVD box set that also contained Christmas in Connecticut.

#8 of 13 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,891 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 24 2014 - 03:13 PM

Never been much of a fan of this (or of the actual Dickens work, truth be told), but I'm excited to see Warners lifting their game again with this and "Christmas in Connecticut". 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 03:28 PM

Who said Warners were neglecting the pre-1050s classics. Jessie Matthews' dance partner in Evergreen(1934) & a couple others is, moreorless, the first actor you see in this film as it starts.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,413 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:37 PM

This is probably the only version I haven't seen. My favorites are 1951 and 1970. Should I go for it?

My favorite is still the George C. Scott version.

• Bob_S. and atfree like this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'll pick this up. Second favorite after George C. Scott.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,089 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 24 2014 - 09:16 PM

http://www.amazon.co...christmas carol

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 06:04 AM

I know I'm in the minority but this has always been my favorite version because it moves at a fast pace and the actors playing the cratchet family really capture the Christmas spirit for me in this version. I also love the skating in the snow scenes and scrooge left at school.

• David Weicker likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users