What's new

A Christmas Carol (1938)- coming to BD 11/11/14 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just confirmed courtesy of Akijima at the other site:

w2bUwGF.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I bet that this will look spectacular. Of course, I always wonder about that scene where a 20 year old Ann Rutherford, in a long blond wig, shows up at Scrooge's bedside.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
JoeDoakes said:
I bet that this will look spectacular. Of course, I always wonder about that scene where a 20 year old Ann Rutherford, in a long blond wig, shows up at Scrooge's bedside.
Hahah. It's funny you mention that. I've always said the only two things that bother me about this version are :
A) It's length. It's way too short (programmer length) and would be so much more satisfying if they hadn't neglected the middle part of Scrooge's life.
B) The obviously man-made and "costumey" head piece they make poor Ann Rutherford wear on top of that blonde wig.

I love it though, and it's one of the last things I would have expected on blu-ray so I'm not complaining!

Reactions: PMF

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
While my favourite version is the 1951 Sim version, this adaptation is very charming and I'm thrilled that it's being released on Blu-ray the same day as "Christmas in Connecticut", another favourite. Both are day one purchases for me!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is probably the only version I haven't seen. My favorites are 1951 and 1970. Should I go for it?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not a favorite version of the tale, but I'll consider adding it to the collection. I already have it on DVD from a Warners Christmas-related DVD box set that also contained Christmas in Connecticut.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Never been much of a fan of this (or of the actual Dickens work, truth be told), but I'm excited to see Warners lifting their game again with this and "Christmas in Connecticut".

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Who said Warners were neglecting the pre-1050s classics. Jessie Matthews' dance partner in Evergreen(1934) & a couple others is, moreorless, the first actor you see in this film as it starts.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I know I'm in the minority but this has always been my favorite version because it moves at a fast pace and the actors playing the cratchet family really capture the Christmas spirit for me in this version. I also love the skating in the snow scenes and scrooge left at school.

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
This is my favorite version too. Can anyone comment on the picture and audio quality of the blu? I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade from dvd.

Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
KathyBeck said:
This is my favorite version too. Can anyone comment on the picture and audio quality of the blu? I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade from dvd.

Thanks.
You'll be very pleased with this BD.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The Blu-Ray has the usual improvements over the DVD, with better contrast and detail, and a much more stable image, but allow this laserdisc snob to point out that there's still no Tom & Jerry cartoon, and the colour Judy Garland clip is still black-and-white. Also, it's 1951 Alastair Sim all the way for me. I like my Dickens like I like my women - grim, dark, and Victorian.

IMG_1557.JPG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
davidmatychuk said:
The Blu-Ray has the usual improvements over the DVD, with better contrast and detail, and a much more stable image, but allow this laserdisc snob to point out that there's still no Tom & Jerry cartoon, and the colour Judy Garland clip is still black-and-white. Also, it's 1951 Alastair Sim all the way for me. I like my Dickens like I like my women - grim, dark, and Victorian.

attachicon.gif
IMG_1557.JPG
Well, there are others like me that prefer the 1938 version without the grim and dark.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Well... Dickens' story is originally grim and dark. Sure, it has a lot of happiness and celebratory scenes too, but the Marley haunting is darker than its been presented in any film, for instance. That's fine if there are fans of more sacchrine interpretations. I've gotten into squabbles with people online over my enjoyment of movies like Black Christmas, Don't Open Till Christmas, Silent Night, Bloody Night, etc. -- they think it's lunacy and disgusting to be able to enjoy movies like that at Christmas. I happen to think there are many feelings and moods that occur at Christmas and winter, and not everything needs to be sunny. Grim is ok too. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bgart13 said:
Well... Dickens' story is originally grim and dark. Sure, it has a lot of happiness and celebratory scenes too, but the Marley haunting is darker than its been presented in any film, for instance. That's fine if there are fans of more sacchrine interpretations. I've gotten into squabbles with people online over my enjoyment of movies like Black Christmas, Don't Open Till Christmas, Silent Night, Bloody Night, etc. -- they think it's lunacy and disgusting to be able to enjoy movies like that at Christmas. I happen to think there are many feelings and moods that occur at Christmas and winter, and not everything needs to be sunny. Grim is ok too. :)
Everybody is different and are entertainment choices are even more diverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks