Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Los Angeles Area HTF Members Invited to Fox Screening of ALIENS

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 09:29 AM

POPULAR

Aliens_InviteV1.jpg

We set up this screening program to introduce our friends and colleagues to the movies we love. It's also a great way for us to revisit the films on the big screen that are ingrained in the history of 20th Century Fox. We hope you'll join us next Tuesday, July 29th for ALIENS.

The location is kept secret, but we can tell you it's at a very notable location in a private screening room.

HTF members are encouraged to bring family and friends to this event.  There is a total of 30 slots available.  All we ask is that if you commit to the event, please be certain you can attend.  When you cancel, you may be taking away a space that could have gone to someone else.

Here is how you can attend....

1. Send a private message to Ronald Epstein.  You will find the private message link below my name on the upper corner of this post

2. Please send me the names of all the individuals attending in your party as they appear on their drivers license.  There will be a security check.

You can always see how many slots are remaining by checking back on the number below!

SEATS AVAILABLE

• Ashly Yeo, RayJr, andySu and 1 other like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 01:00 PM

I can't make it but I have seen ALIENS on its first day release 1986 and a few more times at late night double bill show of ALIEN / ALIENS Dolby Stereo A-type, summer of 1990 at  show time 11pm. 

Thought I'd listening to the isolated score by James Horner for ALIENS (1986) theatrical bluray tonight the THX AC-3 laserdisc is a kicker! As well.

If I had another disc of the film I could sync the isolated Dolby 5.1 with dtsHDMA 5.1 and beef up level of the film as parts of the score have to give way to sound effects that is parts of the thumping bass on the scoremight go a bit unnoticed.

Its an idea I've had for many years,

It would require extra matched speakers and subs and testing to get it right.

10527373_10152578468420149_6198275436158

10552576_10152578468650149_5152709169695

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,280 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 23 2014 - 04:00 PM

Ron, do you know which cut is being screened?

#4 of 22 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 04:02 PM

Ron, do you know which cut is being screened?

Is it digital or is it 35mm Dolby or 70mm Dolby?

In-70 doesn't show any 70mm screenings internationally so can't be ALIENS in 70mm. Ether 35mm or digital.

http://www.in70mm.com/now_showing/

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,280 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 04:05 PM

Andy, I've been to these screenings in the past, and they are always from a digital print.

#6 of 22 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 04:14 PM

Andy, I've been to these screenings in the past, and they are always from a digital print.

Todd, Well hope you get treated to the theatrical. Oh I see where the location is (shh) but still can't make it over there. Someone Pvt, will be there. :P If it was local to me ticket cost is fair £6.16 why can't they just show these ALIEN films 1 to 4 back-to-back in one night?

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,280 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 10:13 PM

I'm actually hoping they screen the director's cut.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 04:42 PM

POPULAR

I'd love to go to this, but next week is already filled with screenings (first world problem, I know). I console myself to the fact that 5 years ago I got to view James Cameron's own 70mm print.

• Neil Middlemiss, Josh Steinberg and andySu like this

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted July 26 2014 - 05:08 AM

You cant beat the 70mm print the 6-Track Dolby Stereo is one of the best, I have seen it in many cinemas in London. I once went to 2 all nighters

one at the BFI Imax and one in the Picturehouse Cambridge which was THX which sounded fantastic .

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,412 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 26 2014 - 09:23 AM

I'd love to go to this, but next week is already filled with screenings (first world problem, I know). I console myself to the fact that 5 years ago I got to view James Cameron's own 70mm print.

Ok, we've got the Like button.  Can we have an Envy button?  I need it for this post.   ;)

• Josh Steinberg and TravisR like this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 10:51 AM

POPULAR

It was a public screening at the Aero in 2009. It was a double feature of Aliens and The Abyss. Both were Cameron's 70mm prints. He spoke between the two movies. Most of the audience didn't stay for The Abyss, but I did. It was one of the best looking presentations I've ever experienced.

• Johnny Angell, Neil Middlemiss and Josh Steinberg like this

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,412 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 27 2014 - 11:24 AM

It was a public screening at the Aero in 2009. It was a double feature of Aliens and The Abyss. Both were Cameron's 70mm prints. He spoke between the two movies. Most of the audience didn't stay for The Abyss, but I did. It was one of the best looking presentations I've ever experienced.

Sigh. I still need that Envy button.
  • Adam Gregorich and Josh Steinberg like this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 29 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'm actually hoping they screen the director's cut.

It will be the directors cut!

• Todd Erwin likes this

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 05:15 PM

Both cuts are the "director's cut" as Cameron has final cut on his movies. Will it be the theatrical or the special edition?

• cafink likes this

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 05:33 PM

Special edition from what I understand

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,371 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 10:10 PM

Everyone that was there had a great time at the Aliens screening.  We were treated to a 2k resolution drm digital projection presentation of Aliens (Directors Cut/Special Edition), in Dolby 5.1.  It was believed that may have been the first time the directors cut of Aliens was shown in a theater.  I could swear that they said something about the 2K master being done in 2010 and no word on when we might see a 4K master done for these films.  And the Blu-ray was taken from that 2K master so I guess it is a matter of time before we see new editions of the Blu-rays released from a future 4K master and 4K UHD presentations hopefully on a disk format sooner rather than later.

So who else was able to attend the screening?

• Adam Gregorich and Todd Erwin like this
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,778 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 04:17 AM

Everyone that was there had a great time at the Aliens screening. We were treated to a 2k resolution drm digital projection presentation of Aliens (Directors Cut/Special Edition), in Dolby 5.1. It was believed that may have been the first time the directors cut of Aliens was shown in a theater. I could swear that they said something about the 2K master being done in 2010 and no word on when we might see a 4K master done for these films. And the Blu-ray was taken from that 2K master so I guess it is a matter of time before we see new editions of the Blu-rays released from a future 4K master and 4K UHD presentations hopefully on a disk format sooner rather than later.

So who else was able to attend the screening?

Aliens has been my favorite film since I first watched it (on VHS) when I was 12 I believe. I would have so loved to have attended last night. But alas being on the east coast makes that hard. I am living vicariously through those who had the pleasure to be there, so please do gush about the experience....it will sustain me :)
  • Todd Erwin likes this
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 06:57 AM

I missed being in town by two days. Worst one was I flew home the day they were showing Big Trouble in Little China!

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,280 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 09:55 AM

I was there, and it was a great evening, fun to see it with an audience that truly appreciates the movie experience. It was almost like seeing it opening weekend, that is how much the audience was into the film. And for a 2K presentation on a screen that size, it looked pretty darn good!!

• Dave Moritz and Neil Middlemiss like this

#20 of 22 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 04:05 PM

I was there, and it was a great evening, fun to see it with an audience that truly appreciates the movie experience. It was almost like seeing it opening weekend, that is how much the audience was into the film. And for a 2K presentation on a screen that size, it looked pretty darn good!!

Did you take pictures the the evenings event of ALIENS? You must have 100 pictures to share. :P

2K. Proves we don't need 4K for the home at such shorter distances and 1080i fine for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users