What's new

Official OS X Yosemite Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, cool, they are finally releasing the beta to the public.

I am on DEV 4 and everything runs pretty stable right now.

This is the first DEV that I can say it's about stable enough to use
as an operating system.

I would also recommend Sam's advice.

JeffPerrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Soooo tempting! Will have to look into installing on an external drive. (Can we still do that??)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not sure Jeff but I don't think so.I just installed public beta on my travel MBA, just finished. New dock is gonna take some getting used to. Very polished and professional looking tho!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really like Yosemite. Great operating system.

The Beta works well. So far no problems running it
as a major operating system.

JeffPerrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
JeffPerrin said:
Soooo tempting! Will have to look into installing on an external drive. (Can we still do that??)
FYI, for anyone else interested, you can install the beta on an external drive (which I did last week).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Beta still performing almost perfectly for me.

Once in awhile I will get a freeze-up with Photoshop or Chrome.

However, it's rare. I would expect the final release should be out
within the next few weeks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow.

Yesterday I installed the newly available Yosemite Beta 4.

All the betas have worked perfectly to date. It's stable enough to use as an
everyday platform.

So, imagine my surprise when I am sitting here and as my iPhone rings, a
banner pops up on my iMac desktop telling me that there is a caller (complete
with caller ID).

I click on the banner and answer the call from my desktop. I carry on a
conversation with a friend. It's clear and distinct.

This kind of compatibility is one of the big reasons why I switched back to
the iPhone from Android. Really enjoying my iPhone 6 Plus and features like
these.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've merged the two Yosemite beta threads together and declared it the official thread :)

Who's installing Yosemite? Thoughts? Reviews?

I'll read reviews this weekend. I'll try to hold out for the 0.1 update, but we'll see. The spirit is willing, but the app store updater is weak :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Installed it last night. So far so good. No problems. I love the new look and system font. Very clean.

I need to get a friend to call me so I can answer on my MBA, but it's a bit early to be calling people... :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I haven't updated yet but I did install the Mavericks security update and iTunes 12. To be honest, I don't like the new look of iTunes. I'll most likely update to Yosemite tonight or tomorrow morning.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and installed it. I had been beta testing as part of the dev program on a separate partition and while there are a few bugs to work out, it was pretty darned good with the GM candidates they've been releasing. The only things I knew were going to be a problem were with Adobe CC. However, I have come to the executive decision that I'm going to cancel my CC subscription because after 2 years on the program...I'm just not using it enough. The program I use the most I own the license to outside of CC: Lightroom. So I've uninstalled all my other CC, will send the cancel request today, and so far all the Apple programs work well with Yosemite, and Office for Mac and Lightroom do as well, which were my most-used non-Apple programs. So there was no need to wait for 10.10.1 or .2 as others may be doing. Since I've transitioned away from Pro Tools to Logic Pro X, I am now free to take advantage of OSX upgrades on or near release date. There are some small things I miss about Pro Tools (especially the virtual drummer from the AIR instrument expansion pack) it just wasn't worth the hassle of keeping a separate partition running an OS 1 year older than the current version.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yup, I went down to the $10 a month Lightroom/Photoshop deal. I'd like Illustrator to mess with but me, not worth another $40 a month to me.

For those like us who were in the preview program, just wait to 10.10.1 and we will be at exact parity, there is no reason to uninstall and reinstall from MAS just to get a few minor tweaks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Clinton McClure said:
I haven't updated yet but I did install the Mavericks security update and iTunes 12. To be honest, I don't like the new look of iTunes. I'll most likely update to Yosemite tonight or tomorrow morning.
Whoa, the icon is red! That messes up my field of blue Apple icons!

New UI! Awesome! Now I can't find anything! I'm getting too old for this. Get off my lawn you kids! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam - I had to install from MAS because my beta test version was on a separate partition. I wasn't going to subject my primary partition to the early betas from Apple, which were so buggy it would have driven me nuts in my day-to-day work.

Dave - I think Clinton has less of a problem with the color of the iTunes icon, and more with the overall UI. I'm a sucker for all things new, but even I think there's just a little too much "white space" in the new iTunes app. Especially since white is harder on the eyes than darker colors (or black) when viewed through computer screens.

I wish that Apple had succeeded in making a true "dark mode", as Cook announced when he first previewed Yosemite, rather than watering it down to dark menu bar and dock. That way the whole UI could be tweaked so that for those of us who suffer from computer eye fatigue could choose a darker color palette for the entire system. That's what true dark mode is, and I think what Cook and the programmers initially had in mind, until they realized how much work it would be to essentially create a second all-new profile, and backtracked it to just the dock and menu bar.

justinNeal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin Neal
Upgraded my 2009 Mac book pro last night. Runs great, mostly very slick, though having to relearn everything is getting annoying...but I'm finding the more I dig, the more I can set it back normal (like with itunes). The biggest shock for me was having to upgrade iPhoto and my library, it took a while but worked perfect and was free, so no complaints. That was the biggest surprise to me, the upgrade was completely free.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Justin - I think Apple has quickly realized that the money to be made isn't in the OS, but in the hardware (hence their high profit margins there). Also, it's in their best interest for as many people as possible to be running the latest OS/iOS. That means less iterations to have to support. In Apple's ideal world, they'd love for everyone to be running the latest version their device would support at all times, to minimize the amount of troubleshooting support (in terms of variants of OS) that they have to do.

That's Microsoft's issue: their revenue is tied largely to Windows and Office. Until the Windows Phone, they don't make their own hardware. So everyone has to pay for Office and Windows. And the experience is still notably poorer than Apple because MS doesn't control all the millions of hardware iterations their OSes can be put on.

justinNeal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin Neal
Carlo Medina said:
Justin - I think Apple has quickly realized that the money to be made isn't in the Hardware...
That makes total sense... It's just funny, because I still remember paying the $10 for the OS, which was crazy cheap for an OS. I guess it's inline with they charging less to keep you connected. The new prices for iCloud storage was surprising as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks