Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Olive Films Press Release: Dragonfly Squadron (3D Blu-ray)

Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 of 97 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 05:03 PM

POPULAR

My copy came earlier in the week, and I had a chance to view it on Wednesday night.  I was really impressed with the disc.  Hats off to Bob Furmanek and everyone else at the 3D Film Archive who worked on this.

Watched on an Epson 5030 projector, the presentation was fantastic.  The popout on the main titles seemed to be at the limit of what the projector could do, but didn't present a problem, and that was about the only moment I can remember where the 3D appeared anything less than perfect (and I'd bet that's more of a display issue than a disc authoring issue).  The use of depth throughout the film wasn't gimmicky, but did help in making everything seem a little more realistic.  The movie itself was a solid "b" movie - in general I'm not a huge watcher of war movies, so I was probably not destined to be this movie's biggest fan in the first place, but I enjoyed it more than I expected.  The first half really flew by for me (pun not intended), I was surprised when the "intermission" card came up as I had lost track of time.  (I have to admit that I occasionally got so caught up in admiring the technical quality of the presentation that a couple of times I forgot to pay attention to what the actors were saying!)

The technical quality of the 3D presentation was great.  The alignment did seem flawless, I didn't notice any ghosting or anything else that would take a viewer out of the movie when watching it.  There was the occasional scratch or speck of dirt during the film, but absolutely nothing that would take away from the movie.  All things being equal, the work that Bob and Co did on the film's alignment was way more important to overall presentation quality than digitally scrubbing the film to be perfectly spotless would have been.  I would gladly run out and buy all of the other vintage 3D films if they were released on disc at this level of quality.

This is one blind buy I am super happy to have, one that has at the least lived up to my expectations, if it didn't exceed them.  A lot of us have different passions for different kinds of movies and genres and have at least one area where we'll blind buy or at least see anything - some people collect everything Criterion or Twilight Time put out, some people collect all of the Academy Award nominees, some people are into vintage formats like Laserdisc, some people collect silents or pre-code movies - and my area of blind buys is 3D.  This was a great one.

I'm eagerly awaiting "The Bubble" and whatever other tricks Bob has up his sleeve!

#82 of 97 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,157 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted October 17 2014 - 05:29 PM

Josh Steinberg wrote:

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"A lot of us have different passions for different kinds of movies and genres and have at least one area where we'll blind buy or at least see anything - some people collect everything Criterion or Twilight Time put out, some people collect all of the Academy Award nominees, some people are into vintage formats like Laserdisc, some people collect silents or pre-code movies - and my area of blind buys is 3D".[/color]

Amen to this statement, Josh. If only everyone else were so tolerant of our foibles and little vices...

#83 of 97 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,939 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 09:52 AM

The gentleman who complained of "pixelation" seems intent on posting his negative review everywhere.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B00M1CFYHE

If you good people don't mind, would you please post your honest reviews and ratings on Amazon? Greg and I would be most grateful.

Thank you!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

SAMSPACE_02_edited-1_zpse1008419.jpg

#84 of 97 ONLINE   revgen

revgen

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 10:31 AM

POPULAR

Also, make sure to click "no" when Amazon asks you if his review was helpful. :)

#85 of 97 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,185 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 18 2014 - 10:41 AM

POPULAR

Clicked no on was his review helpful. Will be picking this up soon. This is the type of guy who would probably rave about Transformers: Age of Extinction ( or is it Ex-stink-tion?).
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#86 of 97 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 11:51 PM

Just watched after days of anticipation; greatly + really enjoyed it. Funny thing, while watching this, my Mad magazine spoof mentality kicked in and I was thinking how plot devices work...the writer John Champion also wrote Zero Hour - the basis for Airplane! Will be rewatching this many times especially after reviewing the work of the actors..the only people I recognized was Chuck Connors (Tourist Trap..one of my favs!) and Benson Fong. The 3d really helps convey the atmosphere and tension of combat life and puts the viewer in Korea. 

To all involved...Great work and Thanks!      Spoiler: ?god eht ot deneppah tahW

#87 of 97 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Second Unit

• 273 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 19 2014 - 01:45 AM

The basis for "Airplane" is actually a novel called "Flight into Danger" by John Castle and Arthur Hailey. "Zero Hour" was the first film version. It was also filmed as "Terror in the Sky" in 1971.

The novel is one of my earliest reading memories and is quite gripping. Even "Airplane" couldn't ruin it.

I really should get out more.

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#88 of 97 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 402 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted October 20 2014 - 03:46 PM

My thoughts on the release:

http://todd3d.blogsp...-dragonfly.html

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#89 of 97 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,939 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 04:24 PM

That's wonderful, thanks Todd!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#90 of 97 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,939 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 06:45 AM

From Leonard Maltin:

http://blogs.indiewi...on-dvd-20141021

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#91 of 97 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Second Unit

• 273 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 24 2014 - 01:44 AM

It's not that I doubt anyone's word but all the suppliers I've asked (and who could actually be bothered to reply) have been quite adamant that "Dragonfly Squadron" is not region free. At the moment the vote is 2 from HTF in favour and 2 suppliers against.

Colour me baffled.

#92 of 97 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,939 posts

Posted October 24 2014 - 06:56 AM

It is region free. That's what we requested and several other reviewers have confirmed.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#93 of 97 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Second Unit

• 273 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 24 2014 - 11:49 AM

It is region free. That's what we requested and several other reviewers have confirmed.

OK I'm convinced. Ordered from Amazon. :)

#94 of 97 OFFLINE   SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted November 02 2014 - 03:33 AM

While I've had this since it released (I pre-ordered it of course) October's been a crazy work month for me so just last night was I able to sit down and finally watch this all the way through.

Just what I expected - an entertaining if not top-notch drama, and ABSOLUTELY top-notch 3D! Nary a ghost on my Epson 5020, bright and clear, with many great shots of vintage WWII era planes and explosions in full dimensional photography.

I knew Bob would do no less than a careful and excellent job! If only others who hold some of the vintage 3D titles would be willing to work with him on restoration and release! Can't wait for THE BUBBLE and especially 3D RARETIES.

#95 of 97 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Second Unit

• 273 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 03 2014 - 07:44 AM

Just in case any UK fans are in doubt, I can confirm that the "Dragonfly Squadron" 3D Blu-ray is, as promised, region free and plays perfectly on UK machines. :)

I just finished watching it and whilst it's a somewhat ropey film, the 3D is very good indeed.

Forward to "The Bubble"!

#96 of 97 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted November 03 2014 - 04:05 PM

Congratulations to Bob and everybody else involved at 3D Film Archive for the 'brilliant' restoration of this film.

The whole experience took me back to the fifties again and what a privilege to be able to view it for the first time in almost flawless 3D.

Again well done 3D Film Archive and Olive Films for having the guts and fortitude to venture into financially uncertain territory.

Let's hope that this dedicated and technically successful effort repays many times over and in doing so opens the door for more 3D treasures from the fifties. 

I just can't wait for "3D Rarities" Pre-orders to be announced.

Along with "Kiss Me Kate" 2015 promises to be something special for all 3D enthusiasts.

Doug.

#97 of 97 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,939 posts

Posted November 03 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thank you very much! I'm so glad that you're pleased with this release.

2015 promises to be a VERY exciting year for vintage 3-D. There are some projects in the works which will be quite a treat for 3-D connoisseurs.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users