Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#301 of 482 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:12 PM

POPULAR

I agree, also Doctor Zhivago, some of these Warner Bros titles need new scans and higher bitrate releases to keep fine detail intact.

I have been in debates regarding bitrate and fine detail but at too low a bitrate, especially with VC-1, the fine detail is smoothed over, on certain sizes of display it might not be so noticeable but, when you get to projection size it can be seen and it matters.

What on earth is wrong with Doctor Zhivago? It's one of their best remasters to date. Scanned at 6K and restored at 4K. Any problems I noticed were inherent to the film like the dupes.

• Everett Stallings, Brandon Conway and davidmatychuk like this

#302 of 482 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:51 PM

What on earth is wrong with Doctor Zhivago? It's one of their best remasters to date. Scanned at 6K and restored at 4K. Any problems I noticed were inherent to the film like the dupes.

I'm glad you brought me to task on that post as i think i made a mistake and it's a different movie i am thinking of, maybe Mutiny On The Bounty, anyway's its a sixties film, i forget which, i apologize and recommend Doctor Zhivago on blu.

Memories, i swear as i get older i mix things up more and become more forgetful.

Okay 1.2.3.........hit it Barbra.

Mem'ries,
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? Could we?
Mem'ries, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

• atfree likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#303 of 482 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 544 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:51 PM

That's what I thought, or rather didn't think, because I just enjoyed the movie without even thinking about quality issues. I sure like when that happens.

• Jon Lidolt likes this

#304 of 482 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2014 - 06:03 PM

That's what I thought, or rather didn't think, because I just enjoyed the movie without even thinking about quality issues. I sure like when that happens.

I like when that happens too, shame it rarely happens when i watch a Universal back catalog title.*

Guys don't make me feel bad for getting it wrong, that's like once in 4338 posts that i have had to correct myself, twice if you include the other post and maybe six times if you include the rest, oh okay maybe a dozen times tops, fine you win i'll stretch it to 18.  :D

*Disclaimer, i have nothing against Universal, they have released some great looking catalog titles, indeed i am thankful to them that i only need one pair of hands to count all the great catalog titles they have put out on blu ray.

P.S.  Hurry up and fix Spartacus.

• JohnMor and davidmatychuk like this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#305 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 13 2014 - 06:13 PM

I like when that happens too, shame it rarely happens when i watch a Universal back catalog title.*

Guys don't make me feel bad for getting it wrong, that's like once in 4338 posts that i have had to correct myself, twice if you include the other post and maybe six times if you include the rest, oh okay maybe a dozen times tops, fine you win i'll stretch it to 18. :D

*Disclaimer, i have nothing against Universal, they have released some great looking catalog titles, indeed i am thankful to them that i only need one pair of hands to count all the great catalog titles they have put out on blu ray.

P.S. Hurry up and fix Spartacus.

All is forgiven.

I'm grateful for two things:

1- HTF lets me edit posts when I screw up a post

2- When I actually realize I've screwed up a post and can edit it before I get called out by other members.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#306 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 06:27 PM

Since this thread was started by RAH on Warner's plans for BD catalog releases in 2015........ What are your predictions for the total number of WHV/WAC catalog releases (I'll define that as pre-1970 releases for our purposes here) in 2015?

I'll start.... 30

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#307 of 482 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:12 PM

ince this thread was started by RAH on Warner's plans for BD catalog releases in 2015........ What are your predictions for the total number of WHV/WAC catalog releases (I'll define that as pre-1970 releases for our purposes here) in 2015?

I'll start.... 30

Pre-1970, 2 a month, let's say 24.

#308 of 482 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,461 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:35 PM

Pre-1970, 2 a month, let's say 24.

Yeah, that's what I think in terms of maximum.  But I'd love to eat those words.

#309 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 11:29 AM

Here's another one to add to my Warner's list (I believe they have the home video rights):

The Two Jakes (1990)

If for no other reason, as a companion piece to Chinatown......

#310 of 482 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 17 2014 - 07:24 AM

Some sixties releases for next year? A little list, only four titles & nothing obscure:

Robin & The 7 Hoods
Ride The High Country
Harper
Blow-Up

This thread will be worth checking a year from now.
  • Everett Stallings and ahollis like this

#311 of 482 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 17 2014 - 04:49 PM

Great to see Blow Up mentioned again. Yes please.

#312 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 12:06 PM

Some sixties releases for next year? A little list, only four titles & nothing obscure:

Robin & The 7 Hoods
Ride The High Country
Harper
Blow-Up

This thread will be worth checking a year from now.

Ride the High Country would be spectacular on BD.

• David Weicker and ahollis like this

#313 of 482 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 18 2014 - 02:55 PM

Ride the High Country would be spectacular on BD.

Yeah as I posted a while back, it was on the telly in HD looking very nice, only they zoomed in to 16:9 after the titles (that's TV for you), so the HD work has been done. I could be very wrong, & it's just a guess, but it would make sense for Warner to release this as part of a box set with other Peckinpah westerns (& a re-mastered Wild Bunch). Oh well, time will tell.

#314 of 482 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 18 2014 - 03:05 PM

Yeah as I posted a while back, it was on the telly in HD looking very nice, only they zoomed in to 16:9 after the titles (that's TV for you), so the HD work has been done. I could be very wrong, & it's just a guess, but it would make sense for Warner to release this as part of a box set with other Peckinpah westerns (& a re-mastered Wild Bunch). Oh well, time will tell.

Channel 4, they usually show OAR, that suggests to me it was an old master they used, thus it could be better.

#315 of 482 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 08:39 AM

Just throwing two more films into the pot.  As far as I'm aware neither has been released on DVD by Warner.  However, both are showing as available for UV Download in HD, and lists Warner as the studio.

The Seventh Victim (a Val Lewton box would be smashing, obviously)

From Beyond the Grave (nice little Amicus Portmanteau horror)

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#316 of 482 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 544 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted August 19 2014 - 01:22 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.c...t/s1765val.html

"The Seventh Victim" is on this very fine and most-upgradeable-how's-about-it-Warner-BluRay? DVD box set.

• Yorkshire likes this

#317 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts

Posted August 23 2014 - 04:56 AM

Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? a 1978 comedy mystery film starring George Segal, Jacqueline Bisset, and Robert Morley.

Great film written by Peter Stone (Charade).
  • Will Krupp and Jimbo64 like this

#318 of 482 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted August 23 2014 - 06:04 AM

I'm happy with the MOD of Great Chefs. It's always good to have Blus but when a decent rendition exists I'm ok with that.

#319 of 482 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,252 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'd also love a Val Lewton Blu set, but methinks the RKO elements are probably in really rough shape, thus the absence of THE HUNCHBACK F NOTRE DAME (1939) and GUNGA DIN, among many others.

#320 of 482 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:09 PM

I'd also love a Val Lewton Blu set, but methinks the RKO elements are probably in really rough shape, this the absence of THE HUNCHBACK F NOTRE DAME (1939) and GUNGA DIN, among many others.

If only RKO had taken more care of their masters. I can still remember the first time I saw The Hunchback Of Notre Dame on the telly in the late 50's, it made a huge impression, as did the same directors magical, All The Money Can Buy. And there's the 1952 Hawks western The Big Sky, & The Thing From Another World.

...& not forgetting, Farewell My Lovely 1944. For my money the best Chandler movie, with Dick Powell as the best ever Philip Marlow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users