Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#281 of 482 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 09:02 AM

so watching TCM tonight, and Around the world in 80 days is on, and I am wondering with the original indented Todd AO presentation  would have been a curved screen , if when this is released if we are going to get a flat / smilebox combo?  my fingers are crossed for a presentation as it was originally intended, some of this would work so much better that way

Todd-AO looked very distorted in its original deeply curved screen presentations. I know, I saw it projected this way. Smilebox would only add distortions to Around the World in 80 Days instead of enhancing it. 

#282 of 482 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 10:46 AM

Warner really needs to look into releasing LOCAL HERO on bluray. A best picture nominee and cult classic for many.While i'm at it. lets get a release of RYANS DAUGHTER.Come on Warner- its David Lean and a 70mm production that would look great in bluray.

#283 of 482 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 10 2014 - 11:56 AM

FIRECREEK IMO is a not a very good film.

Yup, Just watched it & have to agree, but what a great looking HD picture from Warner! Makes you wonder just how many HD goodies they have stacked up there. Roll on 2015.

#284 of 482 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted August 10 2014 - 12:13 PM

Agree about RYAN'S DAUGHTER.  Not the best film, but it is beautiful to look at!  I have been to Ireland and been to the beach outside of Dingle where they filmed much of it.  They even have signs to point the location out.  An incredibly beautiful place.  (Of course they also sneak in shots of the Cliffs of Moher in the film which is miles and miles away).

This is another film that got chopped.  I saw it the week it opened and it was L-O-N-G.  I remember people laughing at a couple of places where they definitely were not supposed to be.  Shortly thereafter it lost about 20 minutes.

Still, it is a beautiful film and the first hour, at least, is very well done.  The biggest problem is that people were expecting an epic, and that is what Lean tried to do, with something that is basically a rather simple romantic triangle in a small Irish village.

• trajan likes this

#285 of 482 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,045 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 10 2014 - 05:18 PM

Warner really needs to look into releasing LOCAL HERO on bluray. A best picture nominee and cult classic for many.While i'm at it. lets get a release of RYANS DAUGHTER.Come on Warner- its David Lean and a 70mm production that would look great in bluray.

I've been waiting FOREVER for Local Hero. What a great little movie. I want those Northern Lights .....

• trajan and davidmatychuk like this

#286 of 482 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 08:22 PM

I've been waiting FOREVER for Local Hero. What a great little movie. I want those Northern Lights .....

I just don't understand why this gem of a film has been overlooked. Are you listening Warner/?

#287 of 482 OFFLINE   Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone know if WHV has any BIG releases planned for the end of this year?
Seems like so far November and December is really lacking...
  • atfree likes this

#288 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 11 2014 - 04:23 PM

They are pretty tight on their release schedule....usually seem to announce 5-6 weeks prior to release and usually only one release a month (and that's being generous). Since we have "Out of the Past" this month and "The Great Race" in September, my hope is we'll get an October announcement next month and so on.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#289 of 482 OFFLINE   Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 04:35 PM

They are pretty tight on their release schedule....usually seem to announce 5-6 weeks prior to release and usually only one release a month (and that's being generous). Since we have "Out of the Past" this month and "The Great Race" in September, my hope is we'll get an October announcement next month and so on.

That's fine concerning the releases you mention are WAC releases.
But what about the main WHV distributing arm?
Sure we get a "Gone with the Wind" set and an extended edition of "Once Upon A Time in America", along with these "DiamondLuxe" releases, but last year they seemed to be putting out a lot more new to Blu-Ray films.

#290 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 04:45 PM

That's fine concerning the releases you mention are WAC releases.
But what about the main WHV distributing arm?
Sure we get a "Gone with the Wind" set and an extended edition of "Once Upon A Time in America", along with these "DiamondLuxe" releases, but last year they seemed to be putting out a lot more new to Blu-Ray films.

Based on RAH's comments, my guess is we'll see more WHV releases in 2015.....not sure if 2014 will see any BIG releases in terms of new-to-blu catalog titles. I'd love some but not getting my hopes up.

Sorry for confusing WHV with WAC but I don't differentiate between the two as I only buy BD's online, no brick and mortar purchases. As long as I can buy them, it doesn't matter if its WHV or WAC. And WAC is doing great work with its releases especially as they use BD-50's with higher bitrates vs the BD-25's WHV uses most of the time.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#291 of 482 OFFLINE   FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 05:01 PM

Wish they put out more New Line stuff...

#292 of 482 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 05:06 PM

Robert Mitchum walked out of the NYC premiere of Ryan's Daughter, saying, "My ass is chapped." I lived near the bar that bore the movie's name, on 1st and 85th
  • GlennF likes this

#293 of 482 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 12 2014 - 12:51 AM

POPULAR

Still hoping for a Sam Peckinpah Westerns box set before the end of the year (it would be a good release for the Christmas market), or at least the remastered, The Wild Bunch. I'm sure they'll be something of interest.
  • SAhmed, atfree and Ryan Talbot like this

#294 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 06:15 AM

As you can tell from my Avatar.....I would welcome a WHV re-release of a remastered "Where Eagles Dare" :) ...... but not holding out any hope of that actually happening. I know there's a ton of yet-to-be-released-on-BD films that would (and should) take priority over a re-release of MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE WWII MOVIE!!!!

#295 of 482 OFFLINE   Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 07:44 AM

Still hoping for a Sam Peckinpah Westerns box set before the end of the year (it would be a good release for the Christmas market), or at least the remastered, The Wild Bunch. I'm sure they'll be something of interest.

Yes a new remaster/reissue of "The Wild Bunch" is much needed IMO.
Not that impressed with the original Blu-Ray release.

#296 of 482 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 12 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yes a new remaster/reissue of "The Wild Bunch" is much needed IMO.
Not that impressed with the original Blu-Ray release.

I agree, also Doctor Zhivago, some of these Warner Bros titles need new scans and higher bitrate releases to keep fine detail intact.

I have been in debates regarding bitrate and fine detail but at too low a bitrate, especially with VC-1, the fine detail is smoothed over, on certain sizes of display it might not be so noticeable but, when you get to projection size it can be seen and it matters.

• atfree likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#297 of 482 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,045 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 12 2014 - 04:58 PM

I thought the existing release of 'Where Eagles Dare' was OK .. colours are appropriately bleak for the film's setting and I doubt if we'll see a better transfer my lifetime...... which admittedly may not be saying much!

• ahollis likes this

#298 of 482 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 06:58 AM

I'd still like to get Where Eagles Dare on Blu for an upgrade but a lot of the Amazon reviews mention the Blu being overly dark. A lot more than the DVD. Any comments on that.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#299 of 482 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 13 2014 - 07:14 AM

I'm kind of surprised that I have never find anyone mentioning the (generally) unseen Bela Lugosi movie, "Genius at Work."

With Warner having released their other Lugosi RKO films on well transfered standard def DVD's

("You'll Find Out," "The Body Snatcher," "Zombies on Broadway),

and with so many awestruck Lugosi fans looking at poor transfers of other films just to get a glimpse of him, 

why does "Genius at Work" (even if it's not a very good film) seem to be forgotten?

I'd buy Genius At Work. I've never seen it all the way through, only part of it on TMC a few years ago.  It looked like a fun movie . With Brown And Carney if I remember correctly.

Update: I checked IMDB and it was with Brown And Carney. I've always liked Zombies On Broadway. Maybe , WBA should look into doing a Brown And Carney package. Those guys have become totally lost with the passage of time!

#300 of 482 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 04:11 PM

POPULAR

I'd still like to get Where Eagles Dare on Blu for an upgrade but a lot of the Amazon reviews mention the Blu being overly dark. A lot more than the DVD. Any comments on that.

OK here's my take. The BD is an upgrade on the DVD but it wasn't "restored". The clarity and sharpness are better and the audio is much better. But WED is a dark film (a lot of day for night filming was done) and the color palette is mostly white, blue, black and gray so its not a film that has color to blow you way. As my all-time favorite WWII movie, it was a no-brainer to upgrade. Your mileage may vary .

WED was a roadshow release (mostly in Europe) shown in both 35mm and 70mm (blown up) with 4-track stereo sound. It also had an intermission and entr'acte in some releases. Here's a great article on its history:

http://in70mm.com/ne..._dare/index.htm

I would dearly love to see a release of the roadshow version on BD but doubt it will ever happen.
  • FoxyMulder, AnthonyClarke and davidmatychuk like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users