Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#1 of 482 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:10 AM

POPULAR

I have been reading seemingly constant complaints on line regarding Warner Bros. and presumed non-activity or lack of interest in bringing important catalog titles to the home video market.

Wrong.

Several weeks ago, I had a meal with friends from WB, and while I cannot report titles, I can report that things are alive and well at both Warner Home Video, as well as the Warner Archive Collection.

2015 portends to be their biggest year since the start of the format.

A quick overview.

Three-strip Technicolor.  Minnelli.  Bogart.  Flynn.  Davis.  Astaire.  Garbo.  Sinatra.

Hammer Horror is a high priority.

The immense amount of work (and expense) that must go into each film to make it right for Blu-ray can sometimes hold things up, but what's coming represents some of the finest productions from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I would start saving up now.  For those who love classic cinema, it's going to be an expensive year.

RAH

• Everett Stallings, Mark Walker, Adam Gregorich and 57 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 482 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:14 AM

Great news Mr Harris! :)

#3 of 482 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:17 AM

From my past conversations with Warner personnel, I know Warner's quality standards are high and some of these titles needed additional work from MPI before Warner would release them onto BD.

• MatthewA and ScottGros117 like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 482 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:18 AM

I have been reading seemingly constant complaints on line regarding Warner Bros. and presumed non-activity or lack of interest in bringing important catalog titles to the home video market.

Wrong.

Several weeks ago, I had a meal with friends from WB, and while I cannot report titles, I can report that things are alive and well at both Warner Home Video, as well as the Warner Archive Collection.

2015 portends to be their biggest year since the start of the format.

A quick overview.

Three-strip Technicolor.  Minnelli.  Bogart.  Flynn.  Davis.  Astaire.  Garbo.  Sinatra.

Hammer Horror is a high priority.

The immense amount of work (and expense) that must go into each film to make it right for Blu-ray can sometimes hold things up, but what's coming represents some of the finest productions from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I would start saving up now.  For those who love classic cinema, it's going to be an expensive year.

RAH

You had me at Flynn :)

• David_B_K and JoeDoakes like this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#5 of 482 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:24 AM

Robert, thank you for letting us know about the state of affairs at WB and their Warner Archives Collection program...given what you've told us, I'm looking forward to a VERY expensive next year or so of purchases from them!!! :cheers:

#6 of 482 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,395 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:24 AM

No 3D?

• phillyrobt likes this

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#7 of 482 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:25 AM

OK, awesome. I'm in. But can you say (or just hint) at a Blu for Summer of 42 ?

#8 of 482 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,257 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thank you sir!

:rock:

#9 of 482 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:26 AM

POPULAR

I'm hoping that Warner increases the usage of Warner Archive to release classic films onto BD similar to what other studios are doing with TT, Criterion, Kino and Olive.  That way, they're keeping control of their assets and reaping the profits.

• Peter Apruzzese, MatthewA, Suzanne.S and 4 others like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 482 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:29 AM

POPULAR

Wonderful news!

Here's hoping we see some Elizabeth Taylor on Blu from WB next year!

• Mark Walker, Ken Koc and Jon Lidolt like this

#11 of 482 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:29 AM

This sounds like good news as the list of areas of interest coincides with mine. I think the problem has been their lack of 'forward guidance' as titles seem to pop out of the ether seemingly at random.

#12 of 482 OFFLINE   AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:31 AM

I couldn't understand the complaines about the "non-activity" (which is nonsense) in the first place.

As far as I can tell were the Warner Brothers the studio, that was the one that put out older titles from day one and without pause.

• Suzanne.S likes this

Louise-Brooks_Sig_50.JPG

#13 of 482 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'm betting that this news means we'll be seeing a proper blu-ray release of "Raintree County" a lot sooner than we think...I'm salivating at the prospect of seeing this film properly and fully restored by George Feltenstein & Ned Price...

• Ed Lachmann and atfree like this

#14 of 482 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm just now getting off the floor after reading Mr. Harris' post (I typed my previous response as I was falling from my chair!). As any one who reads my posts around this forum knows, I am a HUGE Errol Flynn fan and was continually amazed that so few of his films have been released on BD. I had just about given up hope of getting more of his films on BD so this news has made my day, along with the hints about Bogart, Sinatra, et al.

Even though we are probably months away from start of these releases, I take any sliver of info as a cause for hope. Not only for Warner's library but hopefully for other libraries as well. I am saving my pennies starting today (sooooo glad my wife doesn't read these forums or she'd be taking the Amex away soon).

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#15 of 482 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:37 AM

Excellent news! This announcement will keep everyone busy guessing which of their favorite titles will be released until the official WHV/WAC press releases are sent.

#16 of 482 OFFLINE   Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Second Unit

• 338 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:57 AM

Looking forward mostly to the Flynn  too!

Thank you for the news!

#17 of 482 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:59 AM

Good to know the petition to WB re: Hammer titles worked!! Thank you, Robert!
  • Randy Korstick and David Steigman like this

#18 of 482 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 11:07 AM

I will try to be positive this time since this comes from Mr Harris,but it is hard since we have been let down so often.Anyway, thanks for this promising info.

#19 of 482 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 21 2014 - 11:08 AM

Wonderful news :-) Also hope for some great Liz Taylor classics. Hot summer day like today I want to watch Cat on a Hot Tin Roof but I will hold out for a BLU release possibly in 2015 :-)
  • Andrew Budgell likes this

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#20 of 482 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 11:10 AM

POPULAR

I will try to be positive this time since this comes from Mr Harris,but it is hard since we have been let down so often.

Mr. Harris is not only an esteemed HTF member, but an industry insider with a global reputation...his revelation of this news should be universally welcomed by ALL of us...remember how long it took for us to get a proper blu-ray of "Lawrence"...Mr. Harris was one of the key people behind the scenes who made sure Sony did it CORRECTLY!!!

• Mark Collins, atfree, AshJW and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users