Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 of 52 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:04 PM

Thankfully here in Australia we're all Region B so this is at least one title I won't have to play on my Region A machine (and I got "Under the Sea" from the recommendations on HTF and it is a wonderous sight.

Shall watch it on my Sony 3D headset and let the whole thing wash over me -- looks like a great, quirky movie.

#42 of 52 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,513 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 11:43 AM

OK, Ron, on your recommendation I have ordered this. I hope it looks decent on my Panny 55".

#43 of 52 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted September 09 2014 - 12:13 PM

I too took the plunge after seeing this review. Thanks Ron for bringing it to my attention. Looking forward to seeing it!

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#44 of 52 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,185 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted September 09 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just the other night I had some friends over for pizza and a movie. I showed them T.S. Spivet in 3D. Everyone enjoyed it.

This was only the second time I had watched it, and I can truly say that it holds up extremely well to repeated viewings.

It really is deserving of being in the #1 spot on the HTF top 30 3D list.

#45 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted March 13 2015 - 06:19 PM

FYI: Found a T.S. Spivet  two disc Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray set that will play on Region A only players. (The included DVD (Gratis DVD sticker was on cellophane wrapper) is not region 1 compatible)

From the Netherlands: The Young And Prodgious T.S. Spivet Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray, the set I just received with EAN# 5412370828897 has been verified to play as REGION A for both the Blu-ray 3D & the 2D BD without using an adapter.

The 3D menu has an initial choice: "Francais or Nederlands"  

Choosing Francais, the movie defaults to French audio and French subtitles.

Choosing Nederlands, the movie defaults to English audio and Dutch subtitles.

Disc alternatives:

Subtitle choice selections: OFF, Dutch, French 1 or French 2.

Language choice selections : English DTS HD MA 5.1 or French DTS HD MA 5.1.

This Blu-ray 3D only has two trailers and one 3D MVC movie encode stream for the highest 3D bit-rate on one disc.  

Edit update: (Note* It also has the same uncensored English audio as the French release.)

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#46 of 52 OFFLINE   hstieglitz

hstieglitz

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 14 2015 - 06:44 AM

Thank you so much for the update. I could not find this on Amazon.NL Do you have a link to the site you purchased this from which will ship to the US?

#47 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted March 14 2015 - 07:53 AM

Screen shot 2015-03-13 at 8.52.30 PM_zpsfobxikxw.png IMG_0002_zpsmhkpah1k.jpg

Disc ID informaton encoded on the Netherland's discs:

T.S. Spivet 3D Blu-ray 3D Disc ID:9E2EBA429DA0C28A [SPIVET BD3D] Dual Layered. (Region A,B Tested)

T.S. Spivet 2D Blu-ray Disc ID:93AE4F8C0EBA6A27 [SPIVET 2D] Dual Layered. (Region A,B Tested)

The free included DVD: Disc ID:4E6BB2300E7B5D8A [T.S. SPIVET DVD FILM] Dual Layered Netherlands (Holland) DVD Region 2 code (PAL B/G)

Thank you so much for the update. I could not find this on Amazon.NL Do you have a link to the site you purchased this from which will ship to the US?

Please note: The place I order Netherlands "T.S. Spivit" is very cautious after receiving many orders to import "The Hole 3D" single layered 25gb, which I discovered and announced could also play in Region A.

After I made the order they sent the following email:

Once again thank you for your order (see below) and visit to our website.
Because DVD’s and Blu-Ray’s have region codes to protect local markets against too much import, we’ve immediately checked this for the ordered item.

Unfortunately it was not mentioned on our website, so we immediately contacted our wholesaler.

According to them this blu-ray disc can only be used in region B and that includes the following areas: B:Europe, Greenland, French overseas areas, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand;

Can you let us know if you have a region free blu-ray-player, for we want to prevent sending you an item that will never play!?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,

CD-Artline / CDenDVD.nl

Marcel Verdurmen

Partner / Webmaster

Email: shop@CD-Artline.nl / orders@CDenDVD.nl
Address: Traaij 1-c , 3971 GB, Driebergen, The Netherlands

The process of back and forth correspondence emails and the order coming from their wholesaler this time around took from February 5, to receiving it in the U.S. on March 13.

*Here is the requested CDenDVD.nl Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet link where the barcode matches the set I tested for both A,B regions with available international shipment.  (My Google Chrome browser has a feature that automatically helps translate the Dutch into English.)

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#48 of 52 OFFLINE   Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted March 16 2015 - 11:12 AM

POPULAR

*Here is the requested CDenDVD.nl Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet link where the barcode matches the set I tested for both A,B regions with available international shipment.  (My Google Chrome browser has a feature that automatically helps translate the Dutch into English.)

Many thanks for providing that direct link.  I was able to order the Blu-ray set using PayPal, and I look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.  When I watch HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER, and KISS ME KATE I cry to think of what could be possible with 3D titles today and what lackluster stereo images we receive instead.  I will be tickled to add another title to my collection that demonstrates what 3D is supposed to do.

You would think that filmmakers would have an inherent understanding of the process considering the way specialty stereo films presented at Disneyland, Universal, and other such venues exploit the process to its greatest visual potential. I would rather have home versions of IT'S TOUGH TO BE A BUG, HONEY I BLEW UP THE AUDIENCE, or TERMINATOR 3D than practically any of the major studio 3D films that have been released in the past 5 years.

#49 of 52 OFFLINE   hstieglitz

hstieglitz

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 17 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thank you Paul. I just ordered it through the link you sent. I am really looking forward to watching it.

#50 of 52 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,513 posts

Posted March 17 2015 - 07:44 AM

Now that I have reset my t.v. for 24 fps/48 hz, I am seeing this movie as it was meant to be seen - very little ghosting now. The first half is as good as a movie (regardless of dimensions) gets. The second half, while still excellent, is a bit less enchanting. But Jeunet uses 3-D beautifully, and I love the film (if only we could finally get CITY OF LOST CHILDREN). Thanks, Ron, for recommending this.

#51 of 52 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted March 22 2015 - 04:29 AM

This is scheduled to be hitting the theatres here in Canada in May... in 3D no less.

#52 of 52 OFFLINE   hstieglitz

hstieglitz

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 09 2015 - 07:25 AM

I just watched the film on my oppo bdp-103 player. It played flawlessly and was definitely worth purchasing. Thanks to Paul Hillenbrand for all the updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users