What's new

James Garner passed away at 86 years old! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Such a strong yet incredibly sympathetic and vulnerable leading man. He had the unenviable task of playing Audrey Hepburn's conflicted, doubting fiancee in "The Children's Hour". With that film about to debut on Blu I'm sure many will be discovering that fascinating performance, or rediscovering it. He is also tops in 2 of Doris Day's sparkling comedies, "The Thrill of It All!" and "Move Over, Darling". Equally charming opposite Julie Andrews in 2 very different films - "The Americanization of Emily" and "Victor/Victoria".

First Elaine Stritch and now James Garner. This is a very difficult week.

tumblr_n27bywNzgC1qjmn31o1_500.jpg

81886_full.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another article about him. I love the below quote in bold from him as it kinds of remind me of myself about the role of Bret Maverick and his fondness for being lazy. It's the main reason why I never got married. Wives put you to work too much for my taste.
The real boost to his career came in a role now indelibly associated with him, that of Bret Maverick in the comedic Western that ABC debuted in 1957; the role and the series fit his wry personality like a glove. Originally the story was to alternate between the Maverick brothers played by Garner and Jack Kelly, but “Maverick” quickly became all about Garner’s character, who used his wits to get out of trouble. Other actors revolved in and out including Clint Eastwood as a vicious gunfighter. “Maverick” led to a long relationship between Garner and its creator, Roy Huggins. The actor stayed with the series until 1960, when he quit over a dispute with Warners.
“I’m playing me,” Garner said about the role. “Bret Maverick is lazy: I’m lazy. And I like being lazy.”
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/james-garner-of-maverick-rockford-files-dies-at-86-1201265361/

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Should be added that Garner is also part of the Disney Universe, having voiced the role of Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke in "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" in 2001.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
classicmovieguy said:
Should be added that Garner is also part of the Disney Universe, having voiced the role of Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke in "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" in 2001.
He also made some live action films for them. Castaway Cowboy and One Little Indian are on DVD.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
JoeDoakes said:
He also made some live action films for them. Castaway Cowboy and One Little Indian are on DVD.
Oh how could I have forgotten those!? So many great films, such an impressive body of work. He was one in a million.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
James Garner passed in his LA home last night at age 86. Condolences to the family. He's leaving an amazing legacy for fans worldwide.

My favorite show's always been Rockford Files.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
He made some great films RIP.Grand Prix is on BBC2 this afternoon, always wanted to see this in Cinerama.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sad news for sure. I believe that leaves Sir Richard Attenborough as the sole surviving major star from that amazing cast of The Great Escape.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard V said:
Sad news for sure. I believe that leaves Sir Richard Attenborough as the sole surviving major star from that amazing cast of The Great Escape.
Isn't John Leyton still alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks