What's new

sony BDV-N590 speaker upgrade advice? (1 Viewer)

Michael Williams

Auditioning
I have only owned this sony BDV-N590 HTiB a few months, whilst on holiday my son decided to have a party and has possibly blown the magnetic fluid front l&r surround speakers. The dialouge is distorted all the time and the sound is awful now. Sony can`t replace the speakers as I have been told. Could anyone advise me on a similar speaker 5.1 package I could buy here in the UK of similar spec or an upgrade. I was very happy with the sony SS-TSB111 speakers. I have a budget of up to $350 dollars. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Choochoo.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I like Yamaha, so here's one in your price range:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-amplificatore-htr-2064bl-ns-b20bl-ns-swp20/dp/B005O08NVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405774607&sr=1-1&keywords=YHT-196
Although I would push you to this for the speaker auto-calibration:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YHT2910-Receiver-Speaker-Package/dp/B00JRST052

Whatever you wind up getting, this time around avoid getting a home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB), which has proprietary speaker connections, limited component connections, typically runs at 2-3 ohms, and generally suck. By getting a true receiver and speakers, you can upgrade/replace pieces of the system when you need to, and the internals are generally better.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Al.Anderson said:
I like Yamaha, so here's one in your price range:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-amplificatore-htr-2064bl-ns-b20bl-ns-swp20/dp/B005O08NVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405774607&sr=1-1&keywords=YHT-196Although I would push you to this for the speaker auto-calibration:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YHT2910-Receiver-Speaker-Package/dp/B00JRST052Whatever you wind up getting, this time around avoid getting a home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB), which has proprietary speaker connections, limited component connections, typically runs at 2-3 ohms, and generally suck. By getting a true receiver and speakers, you can upgrade/replace pieces of the system when you need to, and the internals are generally better.
+1And, a real AVR and speakers has real power, not made up bull crap.No, that system was not 1000 watts. Try 50.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Thankyou very much AI. Will have a look at the yammy. Schan I don't know what you are on about "1000w and the 50" comment. Like I said I was very happy with the supplied speakers and in general the whole system. I do appreciate the flexibility and futureproof of seperates. But for now can we just stick to the the original topic and not get sidetracked. Pardon the pun being a train driver!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My "1000w and the 50" was not a sidetrack. That HTiB says it had 1000 watts. No it didn't. None of those, "please don't ever buy one again" proprietary throw-it-all-away when something goes wrong, systems is any good.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Michael Williams said:
Could anyone advise me on a similar speaker 5.1 package I could buy here in the UK of similar spec or an upgrade. I was very happy with the sony SS-TSB111 speakers. I have a budget of up to $350 dollars. Many thanks in advance for your help.Choochoo.
Reading your post carefully, I get the sense that you may be asking for ONLY replacement speaker options - meaning you intend to continue using the existing HTiB receiver unit.If this is correct, chances are it's a bad idea. As others have indicated, these sorts of systems are not built with expandability in mind. You generally cannot use mainstream speakers with HTiB "receivers" nor can you use a mainstream receiver with HTiB speakers.Any equipment upgrade for you will need to be a complete system. The systems recommended above are better than bargain basement HTiB because they are composed of real components that offer an upgrade path. Onkyo and Denon offer decent systems as well as Yamaha.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Jason I do not think either you read my post carefully or do not understand my situation. You will read that I have only just bought this unit, therefore YES I do intent to carry on using my system (I am not in a situation where I can afford to throw away a $300+ system because 2 speakers do not work! If you are in that position i`d be glad to accept a new system from you) Carrying on, you will also see that I was perfectly happy with my choice and speakers that sony supplied and I am looking for replacement speakers of similar spec or a slight upgrade. I am NOT looking to expand my system as you indicate. I would also like to point out that I have spoken to a few Home theater/hifi suppliers and have not once been told that my HTiB will not be compatible with any 5.1 speaker package. I again would like to reiterate can we please stick with my query.
Again many thanks for taking the time to comment.

2 of my favourite quotes:
1. If you got nothing better to say "facebook it"
2. Never argue with an idiot, he/she will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way....

Love how Sony is dredging up "Invented by NASA" in the speaker tech.

They invented it in 1963.

Speaker manufacturers have been using it since 1977.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Schan I appreciate your recommendation but please stick to the subject matter or just don't comment anymore. We all have opinions and maybe I could be critical on your choices on things if I had time to waste but I believe that is rude and not subject relevant. Again thanks for all your relevant replies.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm giving you prudent advice.You bought a 1000w pmpo system(look up "pmpo").It also sounds like you want to replace the sub while you are at it.That, is never going to happen.HTiB are "anything breaks, at all, you throw the entire thing away".I can't believe Sony won't warranty replace the two blown speakers. Unless you blurted out "it was turned up too loud".If that thing only has(had, by now) 90 days warranty...that is a complete joke.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
I would just like to make this clear as some people can't read or understand. I'm looking to replace 2 speakers that have blown on a 5.1 surround system. Just a cheap replacement nothing too fancy, I appreciate that you probably can't just buy 2 surround sound speakers so will have to buy a whole set of 5.1?. I'm not looking to upgrade beyond what I have already have. If you can't help/advise or just want to give your opinion on my system then please don't waste your time or make yourself look stupid replying to this post as some clearly are. Al I am seriously looking at the yammy but am restricted to space and cable management and the amp and 3d does me fine on the Sony and I do like the apps readily available on the sony xmb system. But that is another discussion for another day! Just a note I am not looking for a subwoofer as some is making out to believe! I'm pretty sure my posts are clear and concise for the educated minds out there. I really do appreciate your feedback on the subject matter.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those Sony speakers are 3 ohm (the center is 6 ohm). The lower the ohm rating of speakers the higher their volume will be given the same amount of power.

Those htib type systems use low ohm speakers in ordrer to get the highest volume output from it's internal amp as possible. That's why car stereo's use 4 ohm speakers. They have small amp sections due to space limitations in the dashboard.

Unfortunately, those htib's also use very low quality amplifiers in order to keep the prices low. These low quality amps produce an enormous amount of distortion (10 %). It's this high level of distortion that damages speakers, not too much power.

The biggest issue with replacing the front speakers is they use a proprietery connection. I suppose you could cut the wires at the speaker end and they should work, but you won't know for sure unti you hook the replacement speakers up.

I would look for used speakers that came with a different htib system that are rated 3-4 ohm as "regular' speakers might put too much load on the Sony's amp section. Same with 6-8 ohm speakers. You would have to crank the volume up, introducing all that distortion again, in order to get a normal amount of volume out of higher ohm "regular" speakers.

Or, replace to whole system and start over.

Not what you wanted to hear, but's it's the price you pay with these all-in-one systems.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. You are the one in your original post that says..."Could anyone advise on a similar 5.1 package..."2. $350 will buy better than what you had.3. The beginning sentence of your last post..."We" are the asshats that can't read? Try telling us what you want.PS. You are the one that bought the "throw it all away when something breaks" system. Just because you CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT. Doesn't mean WE can't read.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Wow thankyou very much. I've learned more in 2 mins than over 2 weeks of posing. I've bought the system and have to keep it. I owned a (hcib as we call it in the UK) sony dav s500 I think it was 10yrs ago and the sound was amazing in my view and I believe that is what counts. But the dvd only played reg dvd that's why I got this. Again many thanks for your very helpful insight as to my needs. I think this is the kind of reply opinion this site was truly meant for and you are a credit along with al for your help.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Schan this is the last time that I will reply to you as my post states I never argue with an idiot! I never stated in any post about throwing away a system once it's broken or anything like that. I would also point out I asked in my original and latter posts that I was looking for a replacement speaker package not a system. Lastly English being my second language I could advise you on some good English grammar and language therapy as you clearly need them after reading your posts. Hope this helps you! Mike (from the Uk)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the mean-time, you could move the surround speakers to the front (they appearto be the same) and then look for some small low-ohm speakers to put in the back. And use caution when turning that volume knob to the right.

"Thank you Gene for bringing a rubber mallet to the party."

I used a sledgehammer in the past but kept hitting myself in the head on the back-swing :wacko: . A rubber malet and a batting helmet have kept my replies a little less painfull....for everyone :) .

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Gene I will give it a go. Am off to Antigua wed so will leave it till after then. All I want is a set of speakers I replace, I didn't think it would have been such a hard task. As for the mallet I can assure you that if i'm ever in the USA I know where and what I'll be smashing and it's not stone or granite!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
In the mean-time, you could move the surround speakers to the front (they appearto be the same) and then look for some small low-ohm speakers to put in the back. And use caution when turning that volume knob to the right. "Thank you Gene for bringing a rubber mallet to the party."I used a sledgehammer in the past but kept hitting myself in the head on the back-swing :wacko: . A rubber malet and a batting helmet have kept my replies a little less painfull....for everyone :) .
That explains a lot. Language barrier.The OP bought(repeating again) a throw it away "package"(system, same difference).AI and I (Jason as well) assumed the OP knew what he bought...was crap.Then we wants to spend $350. Leading us even more down the path "he knows he bought crap and doesn't want to buy crap again".Then AI, Jason and I are called idiots for assuming he wanted something good this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks