What's new

Mini PC as HTPC (1 Viewer)

troymachine

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
Hi guys, is anyone using a mini PC as an HTPC? I would like to install a HTPC in my living room but my wife has objected to the tower PC I was considering. I have permission for the Dell Inspiron Zino but have concerns if this has enough power for an HTPC. I will be watching movies through VLC, audio through iTunes and some gaming for the kids. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are a couple posts, found by search, about Zino pcs from 2010-2011. Nothing since then. Hopefully someone with experience will comment on current devices.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I didn't chime in...cause I don't game* on ours. I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre. Mine is the mini-PC intended to mount to the back of a TV on the VESA.

It works...for what I use it for, like every other computer I've ever owned.

*The only PC game I play is Civilization on Steam.

skuzemewoods

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Hi! Few questions on what you're trying to accomplish here.

What's the frontend you're trying to run? Are you putting it on top of a full blown OS? If so what's your flavor of choice?
What kind of games are you trying to play as well, as that would dictate what kind of setup you can use.

Currently I have a Zotac Zbox running to my tv. Comes with VESA mount attachment as schan1269 said about his setup, but I just leave mine out. I bought the barebones setup because i had HD and Ram lying around, plus all my files are networked.

Also, do you have a preference as far as controlling it goes? Do you want to use a cell phone, a harmony remote, keyboard, etc....

Just trying to help best I can.

Real Name
Mike
What kind of gaming do you want the kids to do on it? If it's old emulator stuff the Intel x4500 will handle it. Unless you were thinking of running steam on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks