-

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder

Warner

• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#261 of 410 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 08:53 AM

It is not an Amazon exclusive here in the USA. It is also available online at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, WBShop and Barnes and Noble.

#262 of 410 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted August 20 2014 - 04:08 PM

It would be really weird if there were only domestic Blu-ray sets. In most countries the DVD market is as big, if not bigger, than the BD one. I strongly suspect this is just Amazon reselling the US version - they're Amazon exclusive, at least they are here in the UK.

This is not the case. 

It is not an Amazon exclusive here in the USA. It is also available online at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, WBShop and Barnes and Noble.

Precisely, the set will have its own editions in the US/Canada, the UK, Germany, Italy and now Japan, with possibly others to come. The UK edition is exclusive to Amazon.co.uk, and the German edition is exclusive to Amazon.de, but the US/CA, Italian and Japanese sets will be available country-wide.

Having said that, the disc content in all versions of the set should be literally identical.

#263 of 410 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 09:01 PM

Amazon.com have added the back cover for the US edition. The specs here claim  English: Dolby Digital Mono audio.

Still no lossless mono audio. A crying shame, and only from WB.

Good thing they made sure I can have all 120 episodes as Digital HD downloads though, because that's the most important thing.

91UH41OwcfL._AA1500_.jpg

#264 of 410 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,995 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 02 2014 - 03:50 AM

From what I've read, it's basically impossible to tell the difference between a lossless and lossy mono track.

#265 of 410 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 05:16 AM

From what I've read, it's basically impossible to tell the difference between a lossless and lossy mono track.

I don't think that's true at all.  I've definitely been impressed with lossless mono audio on numerous releases, and I don't see why Batman, which was created and executed by professionals, should be any different. Dolby Digital 1.0 is 192 kbps. LPCM 1.0 at 24-bit is 1152 kbps, that's pretty large difference, and I think even for mono, the difference between lossless and lossy is audible. At least that's my opinion, from the discs that I've experienced.

Of course, once you have the set in hand, you could hypothesize that lossless audio would not make any difference, but you'll never know for sure without hearing it. I am assuming that when this release was put together, the audio was remastered as well, but either way, it should still be on the release. 

That's the major sticking point, whether lossless makes any practical difference or not, it should be on such a high profile release, eight years into the Blu-ray format.

And from any other studio, we would have gotten some kind of lossless audio. Just like the number of discs, this is just WB cutting corners with a high-def presentation again. It should be 18 BDs (like the DVD set) with lossless mono, not 13 BDs with compressed mono.

#266 of 410 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,201 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 05:19 AM

The back cover copy includes a reference to "Bat Rarities! Straight From the Vault." Has that listing been part of the publicity material before? Is it possible that some of the desired contemporary extras could fall into that category? It would certainly at least explain Mr. Furmanek's participation in the set.
  • Sam Favate likes this

#267 of 410 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,995 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 05:54 AM

POPULAR

I don't think that's true at all.  I've definitely been impressed with lossless mono audio on numerous releases, and I don't see why Batman, which was created and executed by professionals, should be any different. Dolby Digital 1.0 is 192 kbps. LPCM 1.0 at 24-bit is 1152 kbps, that's pretty large difference, and I think even for mono, the difference between lossless and lossy is audible. At least that's my opinion, from the discs that I've experienced.

Of course, once you have the set in hand, you could hypothesize that lossless audio would not make any difference, but you'll never know for sure without hearing it. I am assuming that when this release was put together, the audio was remastered as well, but either way, it should still be on the release. 

That's the major sticking point, whether lossless makes any practical difference or not, it should be on such a high profile release, eight years into the Blu-ray format.

And from any other studio, we would have gotten some kind of lossless audio. Just like the number of discs, this is just WB cutting corners with a high-def presentation again. It should be 18 BDs (like the DVD set) with lossless mono, not 13 BDs with compressed mono.

I agree that lossless audio should be standard on any release but given that the soundtrack in question is a nearly 50 year old mono track from a TV show, I'm not really worried about its exclusion either.

• Will Krupp, Sky Captain and moviebuff75 like this

#268 of 410 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,846 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 06:35 PM

The back cover copy includes a reference to "Bat Rarities! Straight From the Vault." Has that listing been part of the publicity material before? Is it possible that some of the desired contemporary extras could fall into that category? It would certainly at least explain Mr. Furmanek's participation in the set.

This could also mean there is great stuff in there like the PSA and/or Batgirl pilot.

• moviebuff75 likes this

#269 of 410 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 09:30 AM

The specs at WHV Japan have been altered to the 1.33:1 aspect ratio, and English: Dolby Digital Mono audio.

#270 of 410 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,232 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 10:52 AM

Why was there ever any doubt about the aspect ratio? The trailer for this set was 1.33:1. I'd believe that before a retailer site.

#271 of 410 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 11:29 AM

Here are the aspects from Amazon.com's website for the bluray set.  This is the correct aspect ratio for the series:

• Format: Multiple Formats, Blu-ray, Box set, Full Screen, Limited Edition
  • Subtitles: French, Latin Spanish
  • Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired: English
  • Region: All Regions
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
  • Number of discs: 13
  • Studio: Warner Home Video
  • DVD Release Date: November 11, 2014

#272 of 410 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,977 posts

Posted September 08 2014 - 09:16 AM

But what would be "Bat Rarities"?

There's "in-house" stuff like the pre-launch promo reel,the Batgirl Test Presentation (a/k/a "Batgirl Pilot), Network and Syndication promos, the Fall 1966 and 1967 previews,etc.  (and perhaps other Dozier pilots: "Dick Tracy","Wonder Woman" and  The two "Green Hornet" screen test pilots)

But there is other material beyond that - stuff that would need to be licensed such as the Merv Griffin appearances, The "Equal Pay" PSA (Both a 60 and 30 second versions), the Canadian Behind-The-Scenes footage (Which is priceless!), The 1989 Bat-"Marathon" Footage/Wrap Arounds/Interviews all come to mind.

#273 of 410 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,208 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 10 2014 - 11:48 AM

I'm passing on this set. I wasn't that excited but the fact WB is lazy enough to release one of the most requested shows of all time on BLU - HD and release it with DVD quality audio it is not impressive at all.

People bring up how old the show is. Who cares how old it is! Age should have nothing to do with having uncompressed audio. I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twlight Zone, Andy Griffith Show, and Little House on the Prairie get HD Audio releases! WB went cheap! I wish FOX could have released it themselves now that WB has went cheap.

butterfield.gif?w=560

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#274 of 410 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,421 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 11:53 AM

POPULAR

On a side note, and since we are talking about the classic TV series....

I saw this for sale at Hallmark last weekend. The new Christmas 2014 Dancing (Batusi) Batman ornament. :)

holy-hit-tv-show-batman-root-1495qxi2463

• Reed Grele, ScottDombrowski and Greg Chenoweth like this
WOOSAH!.

#275 of 410 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 12:05 PM

I cannot agree more, PowellPressburger. This should have been a banner release. Almost certainly, the video and audio have been remastered, and those elements should be presented in the highest quality possible.

300 minutes of restored film per disc with multiple dubs and subtitles is fine, IF you can also have lossless audio and supportive encoding. We can already surmise that one of those things will not be featured in this set, and to have a great video encode would only make the absence of lossless mono that much stranger.

This isn't about what "most people" care about, or whether you can perceive a difference between lossless and lossy mono, it is about what should be on the discs, period. As I've said before, the cost to do this release right would have been negligible. And clearly, WB has funds to jam the set with memorabilia and a toy car, so they had funds to produce the discs correctly.

#276 of 410 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,995 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 12:14 PM

POPULAR

People bring up how old the show is. Who cares how old it is! Age should have nothing to do with having uncompressed audio. I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twlight Zone, Andy Griffith Show, and Little House on the Prairie get HD Audio releases! WB went cheap! I wish FOX could have released it themselves now that WB has went cheap.

I bring up the age because that relates to its being a mono track and you can't tell a difference between a lossy and lossless mono track. Yes, WB went the cheap route and yes, it should have lossless audio and yes, most TV shows of the same and earlier era have lossless audio. That being said, if I (and probably no one else) can even perceive a difference between a lossless and lossy track mono track, I'm not letting that deter my purchase. Others can and do have a different view.

• Will Krupp, ScottDombrowski, Greg Chenoweth and 1 other like this

#277 of 410 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,421 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 12:16 PM

POPULAR

I'm always amused at the things people will b**ch about when it comes to stuff like this.

People get mad for years that the show never made it to DVD etc...then when a studio and all the lawyers etc. settle things, and finally release ALL episodes in a nice tidy set with some fun/nice extras after all these years, the same folks start whining and whining about what kind of M O N O sound it "should" have had and how dare a studio not do it the "right" way or the way these people want/expect.

Come on folks, get over it. Would you rather just gleam the same episodes the old fashion way, via the "MeTV (non-HD) channel in random episode fashion and save to a DVR (assuming you can) and just enjoy it as is, or do you want the re-worked, cleaned up "HD" FULL set with fun extras to sit in your "home theaters" to enjoy in all its Batty goodness?? I'm betting you all want the later...so can we quite whining about the "what ifs" or "they should have...!!" talk and just enjoy the fact that this awesome piece of nostalgia is FINALLY available at any local DVD/Blu Ray store for a fair enough price.

I know I've got this on my Santa list and couldn't care less what the heck kind of Mono sound it has! :)

• Scott Merryfield, Neil S. Bulk, Raul Marquez,MD and 5 others like this
WOOSAH!.

#278 of 410 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 12:26 PM

POPULAR

I'm always amused at the things people will b**ch about when it comes to stuff like this.

People get mad for years that the show never made it to DVD etc...then when a studio and all the lawyers etc. settle things, and finally release ALL episodes in a nice tidy set with some fun/nice extras after all these years, the same folks start whining and whining about what kind of M O N O sound it "should" have had and how dare a studio not do it the "right" way or the way these people want/expect.

Come on folks, get over it. Would you rather just gleam the same episodes the old fashion way, via the "MeTV (non-HD) channel in random episode fashion and save to a DVR (assuming you can) and just enjoy it as is, or do you want the re-worked, cleaned up "HD" FULL set with fun extras to sit in your "home theaters" to enjoy in all its Batty goodness?? I'm betting you all want the later...so can we quite whining about the "what ifs" or "they should have...!!" talk and just enjoy the fact that this awesome piece of nostalgia is FINALLY available at any local DVD/Blu Ray store for a fair enough price.

I know I've got this on my Santa list and couldn't care less what the heck kind of Mono sound it has! :)

I couldn't agree more and if this thread is going to turn into a "what they should have done" when no one has even had a chance to view/listen to it yet, then I'll gladly unfollow this topic and just wait to enjoy the set when it arrives in November. Once the set is out and available posters can complain all they want about what they are seeing/hearing rather than what they think they will be seeing/hearing. Thanks.

• Will Krupp, ScottDombrowski, Greg Chenoweth and 1 other like this

#279 of 410 OFFLINE   phenri

phenri

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 12:33 PM

I completely agree! This is on my Christmas list and once I receive it, I plan to enjoy it without complaint. I've waited too long for this release to worry about whether it has lossless audio or not (whatever that is). I'll be grateful to have remastered, uncut episodes to enjoy.

• Greg Chenoweth and gemad like this

#280 of 410 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,421 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 12:39 PM

Heck most of this show (sets etc) looks to be made with duct tape and cardboard, do ya think the audio folks set up a full on home theater/movie theater sound set up on stage back in the day? NO.  Especially knowing America was watching this show on a 19" Zenith TV with a little 5" mono speaker!!

• gemad likes this
WOOSAH!.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users