-

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:11 PM

POPULAR

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

THE COMPLETE JACQUES TATI - Blu–ray & DVD Editions 
Though he made only a handful of films, director, writer, and actor Jacques Tati ranks among the most beloved of all cinematic geniuses. With a background in music hall and mime performance, Tati steadily built an ever more ambitious movie career that ultimately raised sight-gag comedy to the level of high art. In the surrogate character of the sweet and bumbling, eternally umbrella-toting and pipe-smoking Monsieur Hulot, Tati invented a charming symbol of humanity lost in a constantly modernizing modern age. This set gathers his six hilarious features—Jour de fête, Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, Mon oncle, PlayTime, Trafic, and Parade—along with seven delightful Tati-related short films.

JOUR DE FÊTE
In his enchanting debut feature, Jacques Tati stars as a fussbudget of a postman who is thrown for a loop when a traveling fair comes to his village. Even in this early work, Tati was brilliantly toying with the devices (silent visual gags, minimal yet deftly deployed sound effects) and exploring the theme (the absurdity of our increasing reliance on technology) that would define his cinema. Here, Jour de fête is presented in three versions: the original 1949 black-and-white release, a 1964 version featuring hand-painted color sequences and newly incorporated footage, and the full-color 1994 rerelease, which finally realized Tati’s original vision for the film.

1949 • 86 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In French with English subtitles • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

MONSIEUR HULOT’S HOLIDAY
Monsieur Hulot, Jacques Tati’s endearing clown, takes a holiday at a seaside resort, where his presence provokes one catastrophe after another. Tati’s masterpiece of gentle slapstick is a series of effortlessly well-choreographed sight gags involving dogs, boats, and firecrackers; it was the first entry in the Hulot series and the film that launched its maker to international stardom. We are presenting Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday in the 1978 rerelease version, reedited by Tati himself, along with the original 1953 theatrical version.

1953 • 88 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In French with English subtitles • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

MON ONCLE
Slapstick prevails again when Jacques Tati’s eccentric, old-fashioned hero, Monsieur Hulot, is set loose in Villa Arpel, the geometric, oppressively ultramodern home of his brother-in-law, and in the antiseptic plastic hose factory where he gets a job. The second Hulot movie and Tati’s first color film, Mon oncle is a supremely amusing satire of mechanized living and consumer society that earned the director the Academy Award for best foreign-language film. This edition features both the original French release and My Uncle, the version Tati created for English-speaking audiences.

1958 • 116 minutes • Color • Monaural• In French with English subtitles • 1.33:1 aspect ratio

PLAYTIME
Jacques Tati’s gloriously choreographed, nearly wordless comedies about confusion in an age of high technology reached their apotheosis with PlayTime. For this monumental achievement, a nearly three-year-long, bank-breaking production, Tati again thrust the loveably old-fashioned Monsieur Hulot, along with a host of other lost souls, into a bafflingly modern world, this time Paris. With every inch of its superwide frame crammed with hilarity and inventiveness, PlayTime is a lasting testament to a modern era tiptoeing on the edge of oblivion.

1967 • 124 minutes • Color • 5.1 surround • In French with English subtitles • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

TRAFIC
In Jacques Tati’s Trafic, the bumbling Monsieur Hulot, kitted out as always with tan raincoat, beaten brown hat, and umbrella, takes to Paris’s highways and byways. In this, his final outing, Hulot is employed as an auto company’s director of design, and accompanies his new product (a camper outfitted with absurd gadgetry) to an auto show in Amsterdam. Naturally, the road there is paved with modern-age mishaps. This late-career delight is a masterful demonstration of the comic genius’s expert timing and sidesplitting knack for visual gags, and a bemused last look at technology run amok.

1971 • 97 minutes • Color • Monaural• In French with English subtitles • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

PARADE
For his final film, Jacques Tati takes his camera to the circus, where the director himself serves as master of ceremonies. Though it features many spectacles, including clowns, jugglers, acrobats, contortionists, and more, Parade also focuses on the spectators, making this stripped-down work a testament to the communion between audience and entertainment. Made for Swedish television (with Ingmar Bergman’s legendary director of photography Gunnar Fischer serving as one of its cinematographers), Parade is a touching career send-off that recalls its maker’s origins as a mime and theater performer.

1974 • 89 minutes • Color • Monaural • In French with English subtitles • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

TATI SHORTS
Jacques Tati’s career, which stretched from the mid-thirties to the late seventies, encompasses more than just the six features for which he’s best known. The charming short films he wrote or directed are essential parts of his filmography as well. Collected here, they include three wacky 1930s comedies he wrote and starred in—On demande une brute (1934), Gai dimanche (1935), Soigne ton gauche (1936)—and the two later films he directed and starred in: L’école des facteurs (1946), which introduces the postman character reprised in Jour de fête, and Cours du soir (1967), made during the filming of PlayTime. We’re also pleased to present Forza Bastia (1978), a soccer documentary begun by Tati and completed by his daughter Sophie Tatischeff after his death, and Dégustation maison (1978), Tatischeff’s César-winning short, shot in the town from Jour de fête.

SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES
• New digital restorations of all six feature films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays of Jour de fête, Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, Mon oncle, Trafic, and Parade and uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray of PlayTime
• New digital restorations of all seven short films
• Two alternate versions of Jour de fête, a partly colorized 1964 version and the full-color 1994 rerelease version
• Original 1953 theatrical release version of Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday
• My Uncle, the version of Mon oncle that director Jacques Tati created for English-language audiences
• Introductions by actor and comedian Terry Jones to Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, Mon oncle, and PlayTime 
• Archival interviews with Tati
• In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot, a 1989 documentary about Tati’s beloved alter ego
• Five visual essays by Tati expert Stéphane Goudet
• New interview with film scholar Michel Chion on the sound design of Tati’s films
• “Jour de fête”: In Search of the Lost Color, a 1988 documentary on the process of realizing Tati’s original color vision for that film
• Once Upon a Time . . . “Mon oncle,” a 2008 documentary about the making of that film
• Everything Is Beautiful, a 2005 piece on the fashion, furniture, and architecture of Mon oncle
• Selected-scene commentaries on PlayTime by Goudet, theater director Jérôme Deschamps, and critic Philip Kemp
• Tativille, a documentary shot on the set of PlayTime
• Beyond “PlayTime,” a short 2002 documentary featuring on-set footage
• An Homage to Jacques Tati, a 1982 French TV program featuring Tati friend and set designer Jacques Lagrange
• Audio interview with Tati from the U.S. premiere of PlayTime at the 1972 San Francisco International Film Festival
• Interview with PlayTime script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot from 2006
• Tati Story, a short biographical film from 2002
• Professor Goudet’s Lessons, a 2013 classroom lecture by Goudet on Tati’s films
• Alternate English-language soundtracks for Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday and PlayTime
• New English subtitle translations
• PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics David Cairns, James Quandt, Jonathan Rosenbaum, and Kristin Ross

TITLE: THE COMPLETE JACQUES TATI (7-BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2401BD
UPC: 7-15515-12831-5
ISBN: 978-1-60465-904-7 
SRP: $124.95                          
PREBOOK:  9/30/14
STREET: 10/28/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Mark Walker, Suzanne.S, phillyrobt and 1 other like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:21 PM

Let's hope that Playtime comes from the correct large format negative this time. I heard that the previous Criterion was from 35.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:26 PM

Although I already have Jour de Fete, Mon Oncle and  Hulot in  the BFI blu rays, I think I'll be compelled to sell those and start all over again! Especially since this edition includes the original black-and-white Jour de Fete, which the BFI couldn't include in their edition.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:04 AM

I only have a few old DVDs and Playtime BD from Criterion, so this one is a must!
  • Mark Walker likes this

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,210 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 16 2014 - 04:09 AM

I have everything that's been available from Criterion and BFI...

And this is still the greatest news and a day one purchase.   :banana:    I will find good homes for my others.

• Mark Walker likes this

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:13 AM

Let's hope that Playtime comes from the correct large format negative this time. I heard that the previous Criterion was from 35.

You are correct, the earlier Criterion was mastered from a 35mm reduction source.  And it is my understanding that this new version was masteredin 4K from large format elements, though it is not clear if they worked from the camera neg, master elements or preservation elements.  Regardless it should look far better than the last release.  This title has easiliy been one of Criterion's most troubled, but it looks like the third time will be the charm.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted July 16 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, a new Playtime would be nice. The old one was also riddled with some nasty EE.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,170 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 09:23 AM

So cool that Criterion is releasing this. I was about to order the UK set (with, I think, the same content), but assuming Barnes and Noble will be having an annual November 50% off sale, I'll wait.

• lukejosephchung likes this

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:28 AM

So cool that Criterion is releasing this. I was about to order the UK set (with, I think, the same content), but assuming Barnes and Noble will be having an annual November 50% off sale, I'll wait.

You won't have to wait long...this baby's not coming out till Oct. 28th!!! :D

• Mark Walker likes this

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Grady Reid

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:06 PM

Do you think Criterion will offer a trade-in or small discount for those of us that already have the BD of Playtime?

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 764 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:25 PM

No. This is a whole new transfer of an entirely different element than what you have on your old BD. An upgrade, rather than a duplicate disc. The whole set's only going to be $63 in November!

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:26 PM

All the extras from the original BD are included?

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 764 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:29 PM

Maybe:

http://criterionforu...t=13283#p487609

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 903 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:50 PM

The only new Criterion announcement worth the time and money. Looking forward to it! I adore PLAYTIME and M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY.

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:38 PM

"Later on, we'll be showing a film by Jacques Tati, a film by Jacques Chabi, and one by Jacques Absolutelyfallingapart."

- Ronnie Barker

(No offense, just that the pun got stuck in my head ever since I was a kid.)  :)

The only new Criterion announcement worth the time and money. Looking forward to it! I adore PLAYTIME and M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY.

I'd get Mon Oncle or Holiday as singles, but not a whole box.  A little too much static whimsy for me.

(Although I always liked the Hulot's Holiday homage Terry Jones did in the Monty Python sketch: )

Spoiler

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 16 2014 - 03:52 PM

Who are you speaking for here?  I hope yourself, although it seems like you're saying something you think is universal.  I'd say La Dolce Vita is worth the time and money for any serious lover of cinema.

• Suzanne.S and ahollis like this

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 04:00 PM

What an idiotic statement. All October titles are great.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 11:40 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 19 2014 - 06:52 PM

Do you think Criterion will offer a trade-in or small discount for those of us that already have the BD of Playtime?

Probably not, but the box set costs the same as only four films on Amazon and will cost as much as three in the next B&N sale. Even at Criterion.com pricing, $100 is a bargain for this set considering the content.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 903 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 07:57 PM

Who are you speaking for here? I hope yourself, although it seems like you're saying something you think is universal. I'd say La Dolce Vita is worth the time and money for any serious lover of cinema.

Naturally I'm speaking for myself. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users