-

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: F For Fake (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,897 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:08 PM

ffront.jpg

fback.jpg

F FOR FAKE - Blu–ray Edition
Trickery. Deceit. Magic. In F for Fake, a free-form documentary by Orson Welles (Citizen Kane), the legendary filmmaker (and self-described charlatan) gleefully reengages with the central preoccupation of his career: the tenuous line between illusion and truth, art and lies. Beginning with portraits of the world-renowned art forger Elmyr de Hory and his equally devious biographer, Clifford Irving, Welles embarks on a dizzying journey that simultaneously exposes and revels in fakery and fakers of all stripes—not the least of whom is Welles himself. Charming and inventive, F for Fake is an inspired prank and a clever examination of the essential duplicity of cinema.

1975 • 87 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.66:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 
• New, restored digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• Audio commentary from 2005 by cowriter and star Oja Kodar and director of photography Gary Graver
• Introduction from 2005 by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
• Orson Welles: One-Man Band, a documentary from 1995 about Welles’s unfinished projects
 Almost True: The Noble Art of Forgery, a fifty-two-minute documentary from 1997 about art forger Elmyr de Hory
• 60 Minutes interview from 2000 with Clifford Irving about his Howard Hughes autobiography hoax
• Hughes’s 1972 press conference exposing Irving’s hoax
• Extended, nine-minute trailer
• PLUS: An essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

TITLE: F FOR FAKE (BLU-RAY EDITION)                 
CAT. NO: CC2409BD
UPC: 7-15515-12911-4
ISBN: 978-1-60465-924-5
SRP: $39.95                                               
PREBOOK: 9/23/14
STREET: 10/21/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,555 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:38 AM

Sold!

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 306 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:12 AM

Saw this once, in 1981, on the BBC. They had a series on Welles, and along with this also showed Chimes at Midnight and a documentary on Welles' life. So impressed by both, and have been waiting since then to see them again. Anyone know if Chimes is going to get the Criterion treatment?

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:15 AM

Damn expensive end to the year...Who's not getting a Christmas gift...(checking my nice list...)

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:43 AM

YES!!! I've been waiting for this one on BD for what feels like ages. Massive Welles fan. Hopefully we'll see more BDs from his filmography in the near future.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,886 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've been waiting on this one for ages too. Nearly pulled the trigger on the DVD during the past couple B&N sales. The only way this could of been better is if they did a Welles boxset with Mr. Arkadin and any other titles they can get their hands on.

• SAhmed likes this

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:55 PM

I just saw this timely story: http://news.yahoo.co...-140121335.html

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted July 16 2014 - 03:18 PM

One of my first Criterion laserdisc was this and still have this great film.  Hope one day Criterion will release Chimes At Midnight but do have a good region 2 PAL dvd with a good print of the film for now.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,555 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 09:28 AM

I've never seen Chimes At Midnight -- I really need to.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 09:55 AM

I've never seen Chimes At Midnight -- I really need to.

It's definitely one of Welles's best (it helps that he found a good writer).

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,555 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 09:58 AM

Is there a decent edition worth checking out?  I've got a region free player so can get it from outside the States if the better options are from overseas.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 01:05 PM

Is there a decent edition worth checking out?  I've got a region free player so can get it from outside the States if the better options are from overseas.

Yes, I'd be interested to hear opinions on the best version available also. Don't actually own Chimes on any format.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's definitely one of Welles's best (it helps that he found a good writer).

Also on the short list of best pre-Zeferelli/Branagh Shakespeare movies ever made.   :)

Although that was 50's Welles, back when he was still struggling for independent art, without the safety net of RKO.  

F For Fake is the fat, cynical, uppity "Marlon Brando years" 70's Welles, where he was more interested in being a Mysterious Troublemaker and doing wine-soaked voiceovers than producing anything of lasting value.

The Criterion writeup is deliberately trying to play up the maddening ending as "Welles' ingenious prank, philosophically exploring the boundaries of artifice", as a sort of He-meant-to-do-that warning for a positive spin.  Without fair warning, a first time viewer would pitch the disk out the window after one viewing.

(And before anyone brings up the radio War of the Worlds, no, that wasn't a "Halloween prank", Welles just tried to make a PR statement that would cover the network and his actors without piling unpopularity about pre-war isolationism onto the headlines.  THIS is a "prank", and whether it goes over, YMMV.)

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 17 2014 - 07:02 PM

Actually, CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT/FALSTAFF is '60s Welles.

As for F FOR FAKE, I think it's quite original and most enthralling.  Glad I held out for the Blu-ray; I very nearly bought it at the beginning of the current B&N sale before I heard the news.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,491 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 05:40 AM

I have owned several versions of Chimes at Midnight. The best one I have seen is an ITALIAN REGION 2 RELEASE It is anamorphic and has the best picture and sound I have yet experienced for this film (it does include the English soundtrack).

As to F for Fake, I have to confess to not being a big fan of it. I think it is worth seeing once or twice, and I think Welles was clever in making something new out of something else; but I see it as sort of a 1-joke film. The re-enacted conversation near the end between Welles and Kodar is laughable, IMO.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,555 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 08:53 AM

Do you know how this one ranks with the Italian?  It claims to have been a version that was restored in 2011 (also mentioned in Wikipedia, though I take that with a grain of salt until I see it confirmed somewhere).

http://www.amazon.co...mes at midnight

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 09:31 AM

As to F for Fake, I have to confess to not being a big fan of it. I think it is worth seeing once or twice, and I think Welles was clever in making something new out of something else; but I see it as sort of a 1-joke film. The re-enacted conversation near the end between Welles and Kodar is laughable, IMO.

Errol Morris could have done a fantastic real quirky-teasing documentary on art forgery and/or Clifford Irving, since he's a little more caught up in the big-picture of his story subjects and doesn't have his head so far up his reputation.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,491 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 09:44 AM

Do you know how this one ranks with the Italian?  It claims to have been a version that was restored in 2011 (also mentioned in Wikipedia, though I take that with a grain of salt until I see it confirmed somewhere).

http://www.amazon.co...mes at midnight

I have read good things about the Mr Bongo version you are referencing, though I have not seen it. That one, and the sinister Films version (the Italian one) are the only two that are anamorphic. I would not be surprised if they are the same. If you can get a good price, I'd go for either. Just stay away from the Suevia Films Spanish version and the American version with the cartoonish cover.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 18 2014 - 02:20 PM

One of Welles' best films. I picked up the DVD years ago just because of his name. What I wasn't prepared for was how thrilling it would be in terms of editing and overall wit. Easily my favorite film of his and of any filmmaker.

In one of my film classes, we had to do a shot by shot breakdown of a scene from any film. I picked the opening to F for Fake. My excel document took up ten pages.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,897 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 06:26 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users