Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: La Dolce Vita (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,673 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:05 PM

lafront.jpg

laback.jpg

LA DOLCE VITA - Blu–ray & DVD EditionsThe biggest hit from the most popular Italian filmmaker of all time, La dolce vita rocketed Federico Fellini (812) to international mainstream success—ironically, by offering a damning critique of the culture of stardom. A look at the darkness beneath the seductive lifestyles of Rome’s rich and glamorous, the film follows a notorious celebrity journalist—played by a sublimely cool Marcello Mastroianni (812)—during a hectic week spent on the peripheries of the spotlight. This mordant picture was an incisive commentary on the deepening decadence of the European 1960s, and it provided a prescient glimpse of just how gossip- and fame-obsessed our society would become.

1960 • 174 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In Italian with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New 4K digital restoration by the Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray • New visual essay by : : kogonada• New interview with filmmaker Lina Wertmüller, who worked as assistant director on the film• Scholar David Forgacs discusses the period in Italy’s history when the film was made• New interview with Italian film journalist Antonello Sarno about the outlandish fashions seen in the film• Audio interview with Mastroianni from the early 1960s, conducted by film historian Gideon Bachmann• Felliniana, a presentation of ephemera related to La dolce vita from the collection of Don Young• PLUS: An essay by critic Gary Giddins

TITLE: LA DOLCE VITA (BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2407BD
UPC: 7-15515-12891-9
ISBN: 978-1-60465-922-1
SRP: $39.95  
PREBOOK: 9/23/14
STREET: 10/21/14 

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,021 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:14 PM

Day 1 pre-order.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:26 AM

Yeah, this is really a necessary purchase. Criterion's October slate is just brutally great.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,021 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:28 AM

Yeah, this is really a necessary purchase. Criterion's October slate is just brutally great.

I want this title, but I'll wait on B&N sale in November.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:39 AM

I want this title, but I'll wait on B&N sale in November.

Nothing wrong about waiting for a Sale!

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,021 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:41 AM

Nothing wrong about waiting for a Sale!

Based on the release date it might be just a couple of weeks wait time.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,273 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:44 AM

"I want this title, but I'll wait on B&N sale in November."Sale is still on. But these upcoming titles are probably not included?

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,021 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:50 AM

"I want this title, but I'll wait on B&N sale in November."Sale is still on. But these upcoming titles are probably not included?

They're not which is why November's sale is the next option.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,603 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 16 2014 - 10:19 AM

I have the Italian disc with this transfer and it's fantastic.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:55 AM

I'm on the fence with this one. I watched this and 8 1/2 in highschool, and both left me flat and put me off Fellini. I'm thinking I'm more sophisticated in my viewing 20 odd years later, but don't want to pull the trigger. the next B&N sale with put me to the test ha ha

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 04:10 PM

I have the Italian disc with this transfer and it's fantastic.

I have the Australian disc and it is gorgeous, too, plus it has all of the Lorber DVD extras. This one will be nice for the Region A only folks, not so much for us international buyers.  Still hoping for FELLINI SATYRICON and NIGHTS OF CABIRIA, which would have me rushing to pre-order.  I seem to already have everything Criterion is putting out these days.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,307 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:51 PM

I have the Italian disc as well and it's terrific. I opted out of the Australian disc (though I'm in Australia) as it's from an earlier transfer. The Italian disc shares the same transfer as the Japanese edition.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 12:58 PM

I have the Italian disc as well and it's terrific. I opted out of the Australian disc (though I'm in Australia) as it's from an earlier transfer. The Italian disc shares the same transfer as the Japanese edition.

Must be a really good earlier transfer, since on my system the Australian disc is sharper and cleaner than Criterion's 8 1/2 or any Kurosawa BD of theirs I have in my collection.  The visuals are as close to perfect as in any blu-ray I've ever seen.  Can't imagine it looking any better.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,673 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 06:27 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the link, Ron...pre-ordered!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users