What's new

KRULL Blu-ray on 9/30 (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm very surprised this is coming from Mill Creek (although that company has given us a few stunning Columbia releases). I'd have guessed Twilight Time (with an isolated score by James Horner) or Sony itself would have been more likely. But, hey, bring it on!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow.

At the time this film came out, it was very popular here on HTF.

I remember many members pushing for its DVD release.

Haven't seen the film in at least 20 years.

I wonder how it will hold up to a fresh viewing today.

For $10, its' worth a gamble. This will be my very first Mill Creek purchase.

My only concern is that, from what I have read here on the forum,
this distributor doesn't have a very good reputation for quality releases.
I am hoping this is a Sony authored transfer that was handed over to them.

Very surprised as well that Twilight Time did not get this release. How could
anybody turn this title down? It really was a very popular film in its day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow. At the time this film came out, it was very popular here on HTF. I remember many members pushing for its DVD release. Haven't seen the film in at least 20 years. I wonder how it will hold up to a fresh viewing today. For $10, its' worth a gamble. This will be my very first Mill Creek purchase.
The HTF was around in 1983? Wow. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, I love this film. Lotsa fun and still holds up with a great score and great cinematography. Have it on Vudu in 1080P and it looks good. Hopefully the blu will look better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tino,

Ooops. Thanks for thinking about that one.

I obviously didn't. :P

I just remember a push to get this out on DVD.

Now I am really trying to think about the circumstances around the release and
what all the "hubbub" was about from the membership.

I distinctly remember being introduced to KRULL on HTF. Once I saw it, I was
hooked. Just don't remember it anymore and wonder how it will hold up, for me, now.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
I just remember a push to get this out on DVD.
It was a big deal to get this on DVD, back during the first big '00 renaissance, when Sony was already getting Dark Crystal and Seventh/Sinbad on disk right off the bat. Everyone thought it was the coolest extra that they'd included a montage of the '83 Marvel comic, as tribute.

Always thought Sony kept Krull by as one of those "symbolic" catalog titles to prove they had "Kids" and "Sci-Fi" titles. But at this point, it was either this or Columbia MOD Archive.
It's still one of the five visually best looking 80's Summer of Love titles, and has that James Horner score.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I haven't seen "Krull" since I rented it out on VHS as a kid. Lovely Lysette Anthony with a mane of red curly hair. What's not to like?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
This is one of my most wanted Blurays!

Since it's Mill Creek I guess no extras at all (or a trailer at the most), but I won't mind if the transfer is outstanding, it's not in a BD-25, and it includes English subtitles!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Who says Twilight Time didn't at least TRY to license this film, lol.

TT (to Sony): Um, we'd like to acquire KRULL from your library.
Sony: Um, OK. But we have another distributor interested. Give us a week to look at their offer

24 hours later

Sony (to TT): Um, the other distributor offered us BIG money for this, plus they promised to saturate the market with product AND keep the MSRP low so that all those folks buying gas, filling their prescriptions or grabbing a few items at the supermarket can easily grab a copy
TT: Um, OK. What if we offer extras, a non-eco case and better artwork?
Sony: We've already made the deal. Sorry.
TT: Oh, well

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I really don't get the point on that "conversation". Krull is probably the last film that TT wants. This is one those films that I saw as a kid with my sister from the big screen. Such a great memories. Too bad that there are no extras, though.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Krull has got a really good music score, i remember enjoying this film, i sure hope it's 2.35:1, it should be decent as it's a Sony title but that all depends, the television broadcasts in the UK are always cropped to 1.78:1 and have excessive edge enhancement with halo's everywhere, if it's from an older 2K film scan and has no edge enhancement and is the original aspect ratio then it should be fine, if it's a new 4K scan then even better. I'm not that trusting of the Mill Creek label, hopefully they are improving.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I like how part of the end credits James Horner score sounds like STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN, at 4mins 13secs it sounds like the opening titles to STAR TREK II at the very start, don't listen to the choir/voices that fade in on the track a few seconds later, The pulse low end bit sounds a bit like.

Epilogue & End Title - Krull - James Horner

Listen between the two or play both parts at same time. lol

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I'm not that trusting of the Mill Creek label"Well yeah, this film went to the "wrong" lable.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Jari K said:
I really don't get the point on that "conversation". Krull is probably the last film that TT wants.This is one those films that I saw as a kid with my sister from the big screen. Such a great memories. Too bad that there are no extras, though

That's the same thing I thought when they announced MINDWARP. We can't presume to understand what's behind their decision-making process. What made Criterion decide to license ARMAGEDDON? We'll never know. Anyway, I was just having some fun - let no one get their panties in a bunch, please :)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
FoxyMulder said:
I'm not that trusting of the Mill Creek label, hopefully they are improving.
Mill Creek is just the distributor - they're only releasing whatever Sony gives them, so it should look great.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Worth said:
Mill Creek is just the distributor - they're only releasing whatever Sony gives them, so it should look great.
While this is true i recall reading how sometimes they dumb down the audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks