What's new

Peter Pan Live! on NBC 12/04/14 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
After last year's huge ratings success for Sound of Music Live!, NBC is staging a live production of Peter Pan this December, much like the network did with Mary Martin in 1955, 1956, 1963, 1966 and 1973.The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that Christopher Walken will play Captain Hook in the live musical. No word as to whether Walken will also be playing Mr. Darling as in most stage productions of the musical.The network has not yet found its Peter Pan, but NBC has confirmed that the title role will be played by an adult female rather than an adolescent male. Kristin Bell was in early talks, but her shooting schedule for Showtime's "House of Lies" meant that she just wouldn't be available.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
They've got Christopher Walken, why not go all the way and have John Travolta do Peter Pan. Who says it needs to be a blond, petite woman. Might take a few more cables to lift him, but could be fun. Edna Turnblad/Peter Pan, close enough. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am very disappointed by the decision not to cast Peter with a young man. They'd really be doing something different there and make this new version very distinct from the ones with Mary Martin and Cathy Rigby.

Walken spent his early career doing theater (including musicals) and we saw him dance in Pennies from Heaven, so he could make an entertaining Captain Hook (and I'd be shocked if he doesn't play Mr. Darling, too).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Walken is a great choice. There are a lot of fine actors with musical experience that goes to waste these days on TV and film.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'd love to see Taylor Swift in a remake of Grease.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ockeghem said:
I'd love to see Taylor Swift in a remake of Grease.
Nah...Ke$haShe is great on that singing show(Rising Star??).Her comments during the show with the triplets (they were godawful)."Just wanna see them with their shirts off...and check something off my bucket list."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
I am very disappointed by the decision not to cast Peter with a young man. They'd really be doing something different there and make this new version very distinct from the ones with Mary Martin and Cathy Rigby.
I just hope whoever they cast is an actress who can sing, and not a singer that can her hit marks. I really enjoyed Carrie Underwood's musical performances in the live Sound of Music, but she was a huge drag on the production the rest of the time.
mattCR said:
Radcliffe has the stage chops, having done not just Equus but he also did another UK play base, and so I know he's got the skillset.
He can act, but can he sing?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
schan1269 said:
Nah...Ke$haShe is great on that singing show(Rising Star??).Her comments during the show with the triplets (they were godawful)."Just wanna see them with their shirts off...and check something off my bucket list."
Schan,Which person made the comments you quoted above?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Adam Lenhardt said:
He can act, but can he sing?
He opened the revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying a couple of years ago (the one that Darren Criss was his replacement after six months).

I'll bet YouTube has his "Brotherhood of Man" number from that year's Tony Awards. He's IMPRESSIVE.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
classicmovieguy said:
Wouldn't they have to transpose the entire score if a boy was cast as Peter?
It depends on the boy's voice, but that wouldn't be a problem. It's done all the time to accommodate stars going into shows.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I'll watch anything with Christopher Walken in it.

I've been a big fan of his since I saw him and Jeff Goldblum in small parts in Next Stop Greenwich Village.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Matt Hough said:
Me too. Peter is a boy, and there are plenty of young male actors that can play younger than their actual age. I'm sure a few can sing and dance, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks