• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   karenlrn

karenlrn

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 09:36 PM

20140711_213354.jpgAnyone know what the six tiny wires are under the blue wrapping there? 

We bought a house prewired for surround sound. I assume the typical red white black and green in the top right are for the outdoor speakers as all of the speaker wire inside was labeled. 

However, when you actually look outside, both speakers have black and red wires. We were thinking maybe the 6 smaller wires seen in the pic above are to put in a volume control knob by the patio door as there is another end to it behind a faceplate by the door. If that's the case, where to I hook it up to on the receiver.

I went to Best buy and lowe's and called the Geek Squad but nobody seemed to know what those wires were for. Thanks in advance.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,713 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 13 2014 - 07:22 AM

You would have to know where they are connected on the other ends. My guess is the only one who knows what they were for is the person who wired the house.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 14 2014 - 01:30 PM

Almost looks like an unused CAT5 cable that was run at the same time or some signal wires for a speaker distribution amp for other zones?  AWG looks too small for long runs for a typical speaker wire.

As mentioned, nobody is going to "know" what those wires are except the previous owner or installer.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users