What's new

With WKRP, Wonder Years and Batman now a reality, what's the next holy grail? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Three releases I never thought I'd see due to the legal nightmares that entangled them are finally coming out the same year (whether they'll actually satisfy fans, we have yet to find out).

What's left that has that level of fan interest plus legal circumstances keeping it away from DVD?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, although some will argue there's not an appropriate level of fan interest. In the Heat of the Night (all episodes with all music) is another.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cold Case is another music rights nightmare.Burns and Allen have the misfortune of being a Sony show.Dragnet 5X is in the Universal vaults, with no easily converted to digital masters ready, IIRC.

Both B&A and Dragnet also have the whole public domain thing working against them, with enough episodes being out in cheap PD releases that the companies might not see any value in official releases, if you want to consider that "legal" problems.

Oh, and Saturday Night Live, seasons 6 and above. Horrible music problems.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'll go with the 2 preceeding posters:

1) Cold Case - too great of a recent series to not be released. The period music made it alot more riveting than CSI, Criminal Minds, and Without a Trace, although they are all great shows.

2) Sunset Strip (and Hawaiian Eye) - There is too great an outcry from fans and eventually Warner is going to have to give in and shell out the bucks for the music.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Mine would be any of the following -The DefendersMy World and welcome to itLassie The 60s episodesBurns and AllenRun for your Life

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Frank Soyke said:
I'll go with the 2 preceeding posters:

1) Cold Case - too great of a recent series to not be released. The period music made it alot more riveting than CSI, Criminal Minds, and Without a Trace, although they are all great shows.

2) Sunset Strip (and Hawaiian Eye) - There is too great an outcry from fans and eventually Warner is going to have to give in and shell out the bucks for the music.
If you notice on the "Instant Archive" only select episodes are available - I have a feeling that the clearance issue keeping some episodes unavailable. I guess WB is reluctant to issue "Best of" DVD MOD of the shows that ARE clearable.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
"Beavis and Butthead" unabridged and uncensored, with all the original music videos.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
MatthewA said:
What's left that has that level of fan interest plus legal circumstances keeping it away from DVD?
With the 3 shows you mentioned about to come out plus China Beach's recent release, I think there are still plenty of shows that people would like to see that may prove troublesome to release, but none with same high level of fan interest/pop culture icon status.

That said, the 5 troublesome shows I personally would most like to see get worked out and released are:

Burns & Allen (plus the post-Gracie season) - Issues: some episodes are PD; possibly some music issues from that season without Gracie
Dragnet (50s version) - Issue: some episodes are PD
Maude (Seasons 2 - 6) - Issue: music
Chico & the Man - Issue: music
WKRP (90s revival) - Issue: music (While Shout Factory has apparently been willing to try to get as much of the original music as possible for the upcoming release of the original series, I doubt they would be willing to make as much effort for the 2-season revival. It wasn't a great series, especially when compared with the original, but it had some good moments. Plus, the completist in me would like to have the full WKRP saga - if done right.)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
In the Children's Shows Department:

The Ken Snyder Duo - Hot Wheels and Skyhawks.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
rmw650 said:
What a nightmare THAT would be to clear musically! 25 seasons.....lol. I'm afraid the best we can hope for is the low-def episodes RFD-TV is showing weekly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks