Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Small bookshelfs - BIC vs Infinity Primus

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   SonicSC

SonicSC

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 08:45 AM

Anybody got a quick recommendation for me? I'm on the verge of buying the BIC DV62sis for my small home theater room mains to replace a pair of 7" tall Boston Acoustics that came in my 5.1 set, but are sounding very tired to me. (No, I don't *think* it's the fact that I just turned 50.) Posted Image I would also swap out the center channel for the DV62CLRS, but I would keep the BA surrounds and sub.

I'm not really interested in going to the trouble of modding the DV62sis, but I'm a bit shy of the high end that I've heard about. The other speakers I'm considering are the Infiniti Primus P153s, along with a complementary center channel.

Other specs - Denon EV-300 amp

Suggestions for BIC or Infinity? Or something else?

Also interested to hear recommendations for wall mounts for these new speakers. Thanks!

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,235 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 11 2014 - 10:36 AM

but are sounding very tired to me

A speaker's sound doesn't change with age unless there is a component failure.  If your caps in the crossover are leaking then it is a few dollars to replace them.  If your woofer foam is deteriorating, that's pretty easy to replace as well.  Outside of those two things, there is no wear and tear on a driver.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   SonicSC

SonicSC

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for that info. Well, maybe it is my age then. In which case I should go for the BICs which have a very bright sound. I think I'll wait to see if there are any other responses that address the actual speaker comparison first, though.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 11 2014 - 08:38 PM

These

http://www.hometheat...-system-review/

I compared the P163 directly to the BS22LR (the 153 would have been a closer comparison, but the BS22s were the same price as the 163s).  I found the BS22s handled more things better and were just more pleasing overall.  We can only offer our own opinions, ultimtely you need to try to listen to the speakers in question because everyone's preference is different.  No brightness with them, but they're a bit laid back so to speak; not a super warm speaker, just forgiving.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   SonicSC

SonicSC

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 02:43 AM

Thanks, John, I appreciate the recommendation! I'm a bit torn about the phrase "no brightness". What I'm currently missing is top end, but at the same time, I don't want harshness.

I'm also thinking about HTD Level 2s if anyone has experience with those.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,125 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 12 2014 - 09:11 AM

If you go HTD...Level 3. Yes...that tweeter is sweet(no it isn't the best one, but it is a big improvement over their 2 tweeter).

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 12 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thanks, John, I appreciate the recommendation! I'm a bit torn about the phrase "no brightness". What I'm currently missing is top end, but at the same time, I don't want harshness.

I'm also thinking about HTD Level 2s if anyone has experience with those.

You should be able to listen to the Infinitys and the BS22s at most Best Buys to get a feel for them to decide if you need more top end.  Since my idea of bright is likely different than yours, I'd say you'll definitely need to go listen.  When I say no brightness, I mean they don't do things wrong, they are detailed but not harsh.  Not going to blow away a much more expensive speaker, but they easily hold their own for sure for the price.

Another consideration might be the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE.  These are a very neutral speaker with a slight lean toward bright and are generally good with every type of listening IMHO.  Small, a little more expensive, but a long time solid contender in the bookshelf arena.

When you say "tired" about the old bookshelf speakers, perhaps you have dead tweeters?

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,125 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 11:03 AM

Energy Veritas/CB20

Jamo C601

All good choices...not much more money. Unless $115-$190 is a hard limit.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   SonicSC

SonicSC

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 11:05 AM

I didn't realize the BS22s are available at Best Buy. I think your recommendation is a good one. I should go listen for myself. Those Ascends look great, but a bit out of my price range. The HTD Level 2s are right at the top of my range.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,125 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 11:11 AM

HTD has B-stock Level 3 for $254.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   SonicSC

SonicSC

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 11:27 AM

Wow, I didn't know about B-stock, thanks for that tip. The other thing is that the Level 3s are a bit big - for the wife's appearance specifications, don'cha know. (Towers are out of the question.) I'm even more seriously considering the Level 2s now that I could get them in B-stock. But I'm definitely going to Best Buy first to hear what I can hear of what's there.

Oh, and I don't think the tweeters are blown, I just think that I'm only now fully realizing that I've never really gotten all I can get out of my system with a pair of little metal BA fronts. (Sounds obvious when I put it that way.)

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,125 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would recommend BA but all of their bookshelves are $200/pair and up.

The CS23/26 and A23/26 would all be my first choice...to keep the BA timbre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users