Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tales From The Crypt / Vault Of Horror (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,602 posts

Posted July 08 2014 - 07:07 AM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 08 2014 - 11:15 AM

So is "Vault" the uncut UK version? I believe the older US DVD was PG-13.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 08 2014 - 11:38 AM

I'm almost positive that Scream said on Facebook that VOH was uncut.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,602 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 03:48 AM

104994_large.jpg

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 04:50 AM

I'm almost positive that Scream said on Facebook that VOH was uncut.

Yes, they've confirmed that.  They said:

"1972’s TALES FROM THE CRYPT and 1973’s VAULT OF HORROR These two classic British anthology films will be a housed together as a double feature on blu-ray (both for the first time) and Vault will be presented in its uncut form."

Tales... will almost certainly be uncut (it usually is, unlike Vault...), but in the unlikely event that it's cut there's a Blu-ray Disc of Tales... out in Australia which is uncut and which looks/sounds great.

Steve W

• TravisR likes this
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 06:46 AM

I am happy to stick with the cut version.  I don't need more gore.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 09 2014 - 08:14 AM

Soooooooooold! (though for some reason I think I've seen these ages ago on VHS and thought them dry.)

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 04:26 AM

I wish that they were getting more love in the Special Features department but I'm realistic and know that they're pretty niche, even by Shout Factory standards. Just glad to be getting them on Blu-ray.

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,261 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 11:17 AM

Two features for the price of one isn't a good enough special feature for you?

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 04:37 AM

I'm not saying it isn't a good deal. Like I said, I'm glad to be getting them on Blu-ray. I just know that this will likely be the only R1 release of these films and it would have been nice to have some quality supplements for them. It didn't stop me from ordering the disc. :)

Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 06:16 AM

Kind of hard to have supplements when some of the cast and crew are either deceased or maybe don't want to be part of any supplement. the older the film the more challenging it is to have a boat load of extras :)

Im sure the Scream will have some kind of supplement but Id rather them look HD .. 

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 12 2014 - 08:47 AM

I just know that this will likely be the only R1 release of these films and it would have been nice to have some quality supplements for them.

It'd require spending money to license the comic books but I'd like to see the stories that were adapted as a supplement.

• Brian Kidd likes this

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottGros117

ScottGros117

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted July 12 2014 - 08:57 AM

Two features for the price of one isn't a good enough special feature for you?

The fact that Vault is being presented uncut is enough incentive. The fact that we're getting a double feature is even better. I don't need gore to be satisfied, but if this is the first time the film has been available uncensored, that's a huge milestone.

I hope we'll be seeing some British horror from Scream in the near future, such as The Quatermass Xperiment (currently held by MGM/UA) and the two sequels if they can wrestle the rights from Anchor Bay. The sequels (Enemy from Space and Quatermass and the Pit) have been OOP in region 1 for ages and command outrageous prices on ebay, whereas all are readily available in the UK.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 01:18 PM

Shout will be attempting to splice-in the previously cut footage to VAULT. Fox does not have uncut film elements.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottGros117

ScottGros117

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:44 AM

Shout will be attempting to splice-in the previously cut footage to VAULT. Fox does not have uncut film elements.

So they've acquired uncensored elements from either collectors or film archives?

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 03 2014 - 02:03 PM

Here's some good news, from SCream Factories facebook:

**VAULT OF HORROR Update**

For all of you waiting patiently for our double feature blu-ray release of TALES FROM THE CRYPT / VAULT OF HORROR on 12/2, we have some very good news to report to you on VAULT...

When we found out that the Fox HD master we licensed was the theatrical cut, we went searching for an uncut film element. This was a challenge since the film is over 40 years old and somewhat obscure. At some point we started to accept that that we were going to have to splice DVD footage of the uncut footage (lifted from a prior UK release) into the theatrical cut to be able to present it uncut, as promise when we announced. We tried that and the results were not great. Still, we thought this was the best we were going to be able to get.

Thankfully, there was rumor that the British Film Institute had done a restoration on the film years ago. We contacted them and, sure enough, BFI had done an HD transfer from a film print--and it was the UNCUT version! We quickly had a clone made of their master and then removed dirt and scratches from it to the best of our resources.

The release is now a 2-disc set. The first disc will include TALES and VAULT's uncut widescreen. The 2nd disc will include VAULT's theatrical cut (from the Fox master) and a rare open-matte version of the BFI master.

We thank you for your patience on the delay of this release and hope you will find that our presentation of these films will have been worth the wait!

• ScottGros117 likes this

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted October 03 2014 - 03:38 PM

Great news, and a very worthy purchase.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottGros117

ScottGros117

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted October 27 2014 - 01:13 PM

Here's some good news, from SCream Factories facebook:

**VAULT OF HORROR Update**

For all of you waiting patiently for our double feature blu-ray release of TALES FROM THE CRYPT / VAULT OF HORROR on 12/2, we have some very good news to report to you on VAULT...

When we found out that the Fox HD master we licensed was the theatrical cut, we went searching for an uncut film element. This was a challenge since the film is over 40 years old and somewhat obscure. At some point we started to accept that that we were going to have to splice DVD footage of the uncut footage (lifted from a prior UK release) into the theatrical cut to be able to present it uncut, as promise when we announced. We tried that and the results were not great. Still, we thought this was the best we were going to be able to get.

Thankfully, there was rumor that the British Film Institute had done a restoration on the film years ago. We contacted them and, sure enough, BFI had done an HD transfer from a film print--and it was the UNCUT version! We quickly had a clone made of their master and then removed dirt and scratches from it to the best of our resources.

The release is now a 2-disc set. The first disc will include TALES and VAULT's uncut widescreen. The 2nd disc will include VAULT's theatrical cut (from the Fox master) and a rare open-matte version of the BFI master.

We thank you for your patience on the delay of this release and hope you will find that our presentation of these films will have been worth the wait!

This is better than anything I could have dreamed! 

• Mark Cappelletty likes this

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   youworkmen

youworkmen

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 27 2014 - 02:33 PM

There seem to be several posts missing from this thread including one that detailed the confirmation that the BFI did indeed have an uncut version available which was posted after Shout initially said the BFI search had proved fruitless.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottGros117

ScottGros117

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted October 27 2014 - 02:48 PM

There seem to be several posts missing from this thread including one that detailed the confirmation that the BFI did indeed have an uncut version available which was posted after Shout initially said the BFI search had proved fruitless.

I guess if Shout says that they now have it, they have it. Also, old information that is no longer accurate may have been deleted to avoid causing confusion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users