• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 of 90 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted September 29 2014 - 10:34 AM

And of course that makes sense that a kid would be in command of the flagship of the fleet, a ship where there are only 12 like it, that is supposed to be commanded by a very special person, as it takes a very special person to command a starship...not in this universe.  Give the kid a job and have him train on the job.

This timeline of Trek is rather silly to be honest.

That's because the makers of these films didn't give a rat's ass about things that make sense in the trek universe.  They just wanted younger actors in a movie with lots of Pow Bang Neato FX that would appeal to twenty and thirty somethings with no emotional connection to the original show.  And they succeeded.

#82 of 90 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 29 2014 - 10:36 AM

Chris Pine is hitting 35 next year, that's the same age as Shatner when he did the original series.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#83 of 90 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted September 29 2014 - 11:08 AM

POPULAR

That's because the makers of these films didn't give a rat's ass about things that make sense in the trek universe.  They just wanted younger actors in a movie with lots of Pow Bang Neato FX that would appeal to twenty and thirty somethings with no emotional connection to the original show.  And they succeeded.

I am neither a twenty-something nor a thirty-something. I have deep emotional ties to the original series and have been a fan of it all my life.

I rather enjoyed the 2009 ST reboot and fully embraced the concept of an alternate timeline and new trek universe.

I don't think fans or detractors of this movie (or any movie, for that matter) can be categorically placed into one of only two buckets of preferences and opinions.

To steer this discussion back to the point of this thread:

While I am attempting to remain as spoiler-free as possible, I have high hopes that some of the "big picture" story concepts I'm hearing about for the third film (namely: deep space exploration, no imminent threat to Earth, and hopefully a totally original antagonist) will indeed be the case.

As much as I enjoyed Trek '09, Into Darkness was IMO a missed opportunity to go in a new and different direction. It would be nice if they steered things back to a new course with the third movie. No doubt I'll be there to see it when it opens.

• Tino, dpippel and FoxyMulder like this

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#84 of 90 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,358 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 29 2014 - 12:21 PM

Oh my....

William Shatner says he may have a role in upcoming 'Star Trek' film

The original Captain Kirk has confirmed that he might be making a return to the franchise in the upcoming Star Trek film set to be directed by Roberto Orci. Appearing at Wizard World Nashville Comic Con Saturday, Shatner explained that he got a call from J.J. Abrams regarding the project. “He said, ‘I’m calling, Bill, because the director of Star Trek, the next movie, has had an idea where you might be involved. So I’m calling to find out whether you’d be interested,'” Shatner recalled Abrams saying. “I said, well, you know, if it’s meaningful.”

http://insidemovies....star-trek-film/

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#85 of 90 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,494 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 29 2014 - 12:43 PM

Denny Crane!  :biggrin:

• Neil Middlemiss likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#86 of 90 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,358 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 29 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have a feeling time travel may be involved in the next Trek. Otherwise how are they going to bring young and old Kirk together? The mirror universe? I thought this new Trek was the mirror universe. ;)

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#87 of 90 OFFLINE   Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted September 29 2014 - 03:07 PM

So what TOS episode are they going to rehash this time?

I'd love to see their version of the Gorn!  "Arena" is my third favourite  Trek episode after "City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Trouble With Tribbles".  The episode would make a good template for a movie with the opening battle sequence, the chase through space and the final fight between Kirk and the Gorn. Since the Gorn were only only used once on TOS,  I've always wanted to see more of them. I never got into Trek outside the original series and the movies up unto First Contact", so they don't feel so over used.

I'd like to see the original cast stay away from this series, let the new cast grow into the roles without reminders of what came before. 

#88 of 90 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,207 posts

Posted September 29 2014 - 03:09 PM

I'd like to see the original cast stay away from this series, let the new cast grow into the roles without reminders of what came before. 

I agree completely. "Spock Prime" has already been done once too often. We don't need Boston Legal Kirk mucking about as well. Let's leave Shatner out of this timeline completely.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#89 of 90 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 29 2014 - 03:11 PM

I have a feeling time travel may be involved in the next Trek. Otherwise how are they going to bring young and old Kirk together? 

Nooooooooooooo, that's my best Darth Vader no, not another Trek film featuring time travel, too much already.  :D

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#90 of 90 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted September 30 2014 - 01:19 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing the Gorn, so long as they respect the original design, and don't make it into a raptor on steroids like Enterprise, and the STID videogame tie in did. And it's got to be men in suits, with a few CGI tweaks if need be.

The TNG novel, The Gorn Crisis would have made a for a smashing film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users