What's new

CBS October Releases Announced Tuesday 7/8/14 (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Predictions?

Since the next seasons of Bonanza and Gunsmoke are on their way, I think we shouldn't expect much classic wise. Since the next seasons of Hillbillies and Petticoat have not been remastered, I don't think they are relalistic possibilities at this point. I feel the only possible release could be Happy Days Season 6. Hoping for a surprise.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hopefully they'll re-launch their MOD program for the classics, if they think it's not worth it as standard DVD release. The studios should always expect less profit from MOD releases anyway, they're not the same as standard pressed releases, so selling fewer copies must be calculated with thus making it strange (if) studios lament less turnover for something that's cheaper and easier for them to produce. I know it's all a business and they want to make money, but MOD is still another beast and process altogether.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
A CBS Mod program may be the only way for them to release their classic 50's and 60's material. At this point, the standard releases have just about dried up.
I wish they would remaster Cannon properly, and do a complete series release, or allow another company to do it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
CBS does appear to be at a bit of a crossroad with their older titles.
- Do they continue finding new shows, or un-stall other shows, to remaster, or just finish what is in the pipeline?
- Do they move into mainly blu-rays releases of there more popular titles?
- Do they revive their MOD program and take it to the next level like WB?
- Do they do all of the above?
- Do they do a mix of the above?
- Do they call it a day (other than maybe some continuing Star Trek series)?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
How do we know we're hearing anything next Tuesday? Going back, the threads I saw similarly to this one, the deadline appeared to come and go with no announcements such as this thread last Fall.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/326175-next-tuesday-910-will-tell-a-lot-about-cbs/

More Blu-Ray rereleases of previously remastered content would make sense. Especially if they're released at a more appropriate price point.

I think it's rather obvious with the unstalling of Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley having been wrapped up, and Joanie Loves Chachi having been released, that the last season of Mork is a given one of these days for them as well. So there's another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet.

And then there's the Phil Silvers Show, likely licensed out, which hopefully happens relatively soon for North America as well. CBS could decide to handle it directly in North America although I suspect we'll be seeing it from an independent like Shout Factory.

And I think they could restart My Three Sons as an experiment one of these days like they've done with other classic programs, now that they seem satisfied about the status of the Capitol cues judging by the Fugitive.

Ideally, it would be with a fixed combined season 1 & 2 release along with a standalone season 3 release that's new to DVD. Season 3 of Petticoat Junction was accompanied by a combo pack of 1 & 2 last Fall at Wal-Mart so it's not out of the realm of reasonable possibilities.
Frank Soyke said:
Since the next seasons of Hillbillies and Petticoat have not been remastered, I don't think they are relalistic possibilities at this point.
With how it worked out last year, they're completely possible. Their remasterings weren't reflected in the syndication bible until approximately September 1st of last year, the same month that their October 1st release at Wal-Mart was announced a few days later.

There's no reason why they couldn't follow it up similarly this year.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
smithbrad said:
CBS does appear to be at a bit of a crossroad with their older titles.
- Do they continue finding new shows, or un-stall other shows, to remaster, or just finish what is in the pipeline?
- Do they move into mainly blu-rays releases of there more popular titles?
- Do they revive their MOD program and take it to the next level like WB?
- Do they do all of the above?
- Do they do a mix of the above?
- Do they call it a day (other than maybe some continuing Star Trek series)?
It seems like that to me, too (at a crossroads). Where does CBS/P go from here?
Are they going to continue to release the remaining 10 seasons of Gunsmoke over the next several years? Same with Bonanza with seven seasons to go. How likely is that? I've got big concerns there.
Then stalled shows like One Step Beyond and Cannon. I hope they at least find a way to get their stalled shows finished up.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I would like to see an announcement for:

1) Matt Houston-Season 2

2) Cannon-Season 4

3) Barnaby Jones-Season 2

4) Jake and the Fatman-Season 3

But I know it won´t happen.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
LeoA said:
How do we know we're hearing anything next Tuesday? Going back, the threads I saw similarly to this one, the deadline appeared to come and go with no announcements such as this thread last Fall.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/326175-next-tuesday-910-will-tell-a-lot-about-cbs/

More Blu-Ray rereleases of previously remastered content would make sense. Especially if they're released at a more appropriate price point.

I think it's rather obvious with the unstalling of Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley having been wrapped up, and Joanie Loves Chachi having been released, that the last season of Mork is a given one of these days for them as well. So there's another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet.

And then there's the Phil Silvers Show, likely licensed out, which hopefully happens relatively soon for North America as well. CBS could decide to handle it directly in North America although I suspect we'll be seeing it from an independent like Shout Factory.

And I think they could restart My Three Sons as an experiment one of these days like they've done with other classic programs, now that they seem satisfied about the status of the Capitol cues judging by the Fugitive.

Ideally, it would be with a fixed combined season 1 & 2 release along with a standalone season 3 release that's new to DVD. Season 3 of Petticoat Junction was accompanied by a combo pack of 1 & 2 last Fall at Wal-Mart so it's not out of the realm of reasonable possibilities.

With how it worked out last year, they're completely possible. Their remasterings weren't reflected in the syndication bible until approximately September 1st of last year, the same month that their October 1st release at Wal-Mart was announced a few days later.

There's no reason why they couldn't follow it up similarly this year.
CBS releases their schedule for 3 months in advance and it usually announced the second Tuesday of the month barring a holiday. There have been delays some months but that is how it has traditionally worked. That's how.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
CBS doesn't NEED classic TV shows,actually. (I blaspheme! :) ) CBS Television Studios produces more new shows,and hit shows, than any of the other studios currently.

I say let them take their time and DO THEM RIGHT! I'd rather see "Happy Days", "Laverne and Shirley", "My Three Sons" stalled rather than altered for music!

Every time they DON'T do them right, it's a mess - "Fugitive". "The Odd Couple", "The Andy Griffith Show" (Cut songs and missing end tags!), "Gomer Pyle,USMC" (The man is a damn fine singer and you don't clear his songs!?) , A couple of the 2 part "Mission :Impossible" episodes were cut removing recaps from the previous episode! Was "Lucy","Honeymooners" and Classic "Star Trek", the only three series they didn't screw up in some way? (I've not seen the BONANZA episodes to comment on those)

It's a good thing Carl Reiner owns "Dick Van Dyke" - I can only imagine how CBS would have mis-handled that? IMAGE handling "The Twilight Zone" was the best thing to happen to the series!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hotel and One Step Beyond would be two unlikely releases, but most welcome surprises if they did come. MOD or licensing out, wish we'd see more of that from CBS lots of more cult titles would be in our DVD players right now.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
JamesSmith said:
I'm going to guess VR5, High Chaparral, or Our Miss Brooks.James
Our Miss Brooks would be awesome , but I'm skeptical about it getting a DVD release. I hope I'm wrong - I 'd love to see the show again.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I still think we will see another round of Petticoat Junction and The Beverly Hillbillies this fall. Last year they showed up in the Syndication bible in August and were released as Walmart Exclusives in October so them not being in the Syndication Bible yet doesn't mean a whole lot since it doesn't appear to be updated that far in advance. Both Shows appeared to sell well for Walmart.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
And even if they don't show up this Fall, they could still happen. The general retail release of both wasn't until last spring.

So nothing this Fall just might signal that the Wal-Mart deal isn't being continued but doesn't necessarily indicate that they might not follow it up with a general release 12 months or so after the last round. It's not a good sign if something doesn't happen this Fall, but I think we'd have to wait until spring to classify them as again stalled.

Was anything actually announced today? Judging by the silence, I'm assuming no?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I say look for another Perry Mason Movie Collection and that's about it. Nothing else vintage/classic that I'm aware of. We were scheduled for Bonanza S8 in October, but I believe it's still stalled out. So don't look for much.

Gary "I'd love to see more of multiple stalled series - but I don't have any news of any of the ones I really want to see" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Actually Season 7 is the next Bonanza we need. It is still scheduled for release in September and available for preorder on Amazon. Season 8 hasn't been announced yet. I don't think they would release them that close together, probably 1st Quarter 2015. Gunsmoke has Season 10 available in August and has a small chance of Season 11 in November or December.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Actually, last year CBS's 2014 schedule set Bonanza Season 7 for a June release and Season 8 for an October release. But once they realized earlier releases weren't bringing in projected sales they pushed S7 back and put a hold on S8. Frankly, we are lucky we are getting S7 at all. But their original plan was very different than what we are seeing play out here in 2014.

Gary "hope that clarifies things" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks