What's new

The China Syndrome (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
One of the best films of the '70s, from one of the best, most underrated filmmakers of the era, James Bridges.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Jon Hertzberg said:
One of the best films of the '70s, from one of the best, most underrated filmmakers of the era, James Bridges.
Agreed. I already have the region-free Sony blu-ray from Germany, but still glad to see this coming out stateside.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
china.jpeg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Other than the main title song by Stephen Bishop, there is not a note of musical underscore in this film (there was a score written for it by Michael Small, which was rejected). Yet, it has the most pulse-pounding final half-hour that you are likely to find in a 70's film. Hugely recommended. Jack Lemmon really should have won his Oscar for this, rather than for SAVE THE TIGER.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
ahollis said:
I had forgotten that Image had a Sony deal also.
...easy enough to miss Allen, since they've released almost squat in recent months.

That said, what Image has done from Sony's catalogue to date has been very nicely handled indeed, especially The Odessa File, The Collector, and Against All Odds. So better this label than...say...Mill Creek*.

* Although its logical home woulda/shoulda/coulda been Twilight Time for showcase of its unused Michael Small score in IST form.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
GlennF said:
If it is the same transfer as the version in Europe can someone comment on the quality of it?
Very decent. Looks like a typical Sony disc of a 70's-80's film. Good color, grain structure, contrast.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Just looked at the beavers captures. I like grain and no EE. Why does it have to be (region A locked) I guess got to wait for a region B. I haven't seen the film in some 28 or so more years, on tv.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
andySu said:
Just looked at the beavers captures. I like grain and no EE. Why does it have to be (region A locked) I guess got to wait for a region B. I haven't seen the film in some 28 or so more years, on tv.
I'm fairly certain that this is the same transfer as on the Sony region-free German blu-ray I own. And it has the same extras as well. Check out that one on Amazon.de.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
I'm fairly certain that this is the same transfer as on the Sony region-free German blu-ray I own. And it has the same extras as well. Check out that one on Amazon.de.
I see it. Yeah I see it.

Bit pricy as I'm a cheap person :P not paying £22.00 ebay. Amazon forest prices no better, I'll put under my hat and wait for best low price. Cheers for the tip on the German one and I looked on bluary site and all others are ether ABC region or region free. I guess you might be right with same transfer does yours look like the beaver shots?

The China Syndrome
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_63/the_china_syndrome_blu-ray.htm

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I thought mine looked just slightly better than the Beaver shots. But that may be more in my head. I'm pretty sure it's the same Sony transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks