What's new

Are we nearing the death of DVD with Blu-ray reigning supreme? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Jingles

Agent
Real Name
Alex
I have no insight into Blu-ray or DVD sales.

I would think that in 2014, with widescreen HD displays being reasonably priced to the point where most consumers own one, that the natural migration would be towards upgrading to Blu-ray.

I understand that there has always been discussion how streaming is hurting Blu-ray sales, but I am wondering how much steam the DVD format has left in it?

With the industry about to move towards 4k media formats does the death of DVD seem likely or will there always be a large percentage of the population who feel that DVD is "good enough"?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The latter, I'm guessing. I just got a solicitation yesterday about upcoming Paramount TV review copies and every single one of them from the top-rated drama on TV NCIS to other hit shows like NCIS: Los Angeles, Criminal Minds, The Good Wife, Elementary, and Hawaii Five-O are going out ONLY in DVD releases.

And looking at sales figures, big budget action films like the Marvel films get 50% or more of their initial sales on Blu-ray, but the run of the mill release be it comedy or drama is still heavily purchased on DVD rather than Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There has always been multiple formats for as long as home
formats have existed.

Part of me is surprised that DVD is still as strong a format as
it stands today. The other part of me shouldn't be surprised...

We were just discussing in another thread how ignorant consumers
are destroying the future of quality movie delivery to homes.

Too many consumers probably think DVD quality is good enough.

Heck, I still can't convince my boss who just bought his first HD display
to upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray. So, there, I suppose, is the best
explanation I can give to the problem.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Let me look into my crystal ball here.

Yes I see. DVD is not yet Dead Video Disc. I see something red?
Yes H its unclear. Oh the image has faded.

That'll be £8.00 pounds please. :P

crystal_ball_hands_hg_blk.gif

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Blu-ray will never take over from DVD. Most people I know only have DVD and browsing around HMV stores, I'd say their stock comprises 20% (or less) Blu-ray and 80% (or more) DVD.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, & a lot of BBC releases are DVD only. I think DVD will be around as long as Blu-ray...but how long is that?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
DVD will remain good enough for the masses even though Blu-Ray is clealy superior just as VHS remained good enough for the masses in the 80's and 90's when Laserdisc was clearly superior. The average consumer rarely goes for the best when the best cost them more money. They settle for less and convince themselves that it is good enough.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh, sometimes I wonder what am I doing here as one of the "DVD is good enough for me" crowd although I do have a blu player. I've picked up standard DVD versions of recent films like Her, August Osage County, American Hustle, Secret Life Of Walter Mitty (Stiller) and Labor Day. Blu purchases have been on upgrading non anamorphic DVD titles like The War Wagon, Rooster Cogburn, High Plain Drifters and The Train or titles available on blu only like 55 Days At Peking, The Sound And The Fury, The Wayward Bus and Circus World.

And as far as the "death" of DVD, we can acknowledge physical media is dying and most likely DVD and blu will go down together holding hands.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Matt Hough said:
The latter, I'm guessing. I just got a solicitation yesterday about upcoming Paramount TV review copies and every single one of them from the top-rated drama on TV NCIS to other hit shows like NCIS: Los Angeles, Criminal Minds, The Good Wife, Elementary, and Hawaii Five-O are going out ONLY in DVD releases.

And looking at sales figures, big budget action films like the Marvel films get 50% or more of their initial sales on Blu-ray, but the run of the mill release be it comedy or drama is still heavily purchased on DVD rather than Blu-ray.
This is why I buy my TV shows from iTunes, their HD files are better quality than the DVDs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thomas T said:
And as far as the "death" of DVD, we can acknowledge physical media is dying and most likely DVD and blu will go down together holding hands.
What would be amusing and sad at the same time, is if dvd ends up becoming the "cockroach" of the optical disc world.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
What would be amusing and sad at the same time, is if dvd ends up becoming the "cockroach" of the optical disc world.
In that case ..... call me Renfield!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I predict that DVD will be around a lot longer than the Streaming/Download market currently predicts. Its declining yes but far from profitable. That profitability does not appear to be going anywhere for several years yet and that will be followed by a few years of not so profitable followed by a couple years of blowout sales. So easily 10 years left. I agree that DVD and Blu will eventually go down together.

jcroy said:

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
The strength of DVD is why I think 4K won't be coming to disc. Most consumers think DVD is good enough, and 99% of the rest think Blu-ray is good enough. Doesn't leave much of a market for 4K.

DVD has a few other advantages such as the ability to sell dvd-r, and so far more titles get released on the format because they are viable, not only due to a greater market, but because the format itself is more flexible.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Blu-ray will never take over from DVD."That's mainly because BD run out of time. Streaming and digital world arrived. Business has changed from the DVD days.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I always buy BD when it's an option, for relatively current movie/TV releases. However, for some catalog titles that are only available on rather expensive* BDs (from smaller licensers), I have actually picked up the DVD while I still can.

For those who haven't watched or bought any of these DVDs from after the start of the BD age, they are not bad at all, many very satisfying (on a 60" display, if larger maybe not so much, IDK). The typical current cheapish DVDP is actually pretty decent, much much better than they were back then and even than a few years ago (for upscaling), unless you had a premium brand.

Some of the more current DVDs, especially for TV, are amazing, I wouldn't even (re-)buy them on BD if it was an option.

*in Canada, we're talking a $5 DVD vs a $30++ BD

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Thomas T said:
'Rose' eventually had to let go of 'Jack' to survive...at least physically. And the Studios will too.

In 5 years, I suspect Blu-ray will claim whatever residual market remains for hard media...especially catalogue...targeted at collectors. New movies - TV shows - Docs and the rest...will be mostly streaming/downloads.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I personally believe that the so-called "new", "big" and "important" films will be released on BD for years to come.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
ROclockCK said:
'Rose' eventually had to let go of 'Jack' to survive...at least physically. And the Studios will too.
One assumes, of course, that Rose is blu and Jack is DVD ..... we shall see.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Concerning the Disney classic animation films I was just thinking of going back all the way, and purchasing the first DVDs that were released, without the excessive restorations (reanimation, de-graining, altered colors etc.) of the Blu-rays.
So, DVD isn't dead for me yet..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks