What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Starts airing tomorrow. First time these episodes have aired in decades. Don't know if they ever ran in syndication way back when but even if they did, they haven't aired since the at least the 70s. Of course like everything on Cozi, they're cut by a few minutes but still.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks neil,

this is the one series that has a real question mark - cuz as far as i know, no one really knows what danny thomas did or did not instruct in his will.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have the season 5 and 6 sets on dvd and would get the rest of the show in a nano-second if it went on sale, even as a manufactured on demand title.

I think all 'Dick Van Dyke Show'/'Andy Griffith Show' completists would want the rest of this series (including "Make Room for Grandaddy") -- besides, that magnificent cast, especially Danny, Sid Melton, Hans Conreid, Marjorie Lord and Pat Carroll, I can't get enough of them as well as the great writers they had on that show -- that New York/showbiz style of humour of those early 60s was great and watching these shows as a very small child, I always felt I learned something from them in coping with certain types of human behaviour -- as well as doing the perfect spit take when required.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would really like to see the full series released as well!!

I don't think I have ever seen an episode that wasn't entertaining.

As for Make Room For Granddaddy, I have a feeling that would suffer the same sad fate as SANFORD. Will NEVER see a release!! :angry: :angry:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have seasons 5 and 6 and would definitely buy the whole series if released. This remains my top unreleased Grail.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Cozi also aired the last few season 4 episodes before starting with season 5. The transfers that Cozi uses are different from the ones on ME-TV and look markedly better. They also have the "Danny Thomas Show" opening restored. The one thing I absolutely hate is that it airs in widescreen. That really bothers me. Would love someone to give this series another go at a release with beautiful new (fullscreen) transfers.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I love this series and always felt it was a melding of the eras of I LOVE LUCY with THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW as Danny, like Ricky, was a nightclub performer in New York and lived in a New York apartment that, like the Ricardos, constantly evolved with the passing years as the styles changed. But the New York sophistication of the characters, the style of writing, and the Sheldon Leonard influence evoked the THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW. This was a key series of my formative years (born in 1956) and I would love to collect the entire run. Plus, who my age didn't have a crush on Angela Cartwright?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Wish I got this channel since I'd love to see season 10 and the few episodes leading up to the opening season 5 episode where they're on their honeymoon. I wonder if they will air season 11 as well.

Still hoping to see this show done justice on DVD finally.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Season 10?! Are you sure? Amazing.

Just last week, MeTV went from the final episode of Season 9, directly to the first episode of Season 5. It really hurt.

Let us know if Cozi does Season 11.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
rmw650 said:
did I miss something here or what happened to Seasons 7-9 in the process or have they aired on either of the two classic channels? I know ME-TV still airs this show from 4:30-5 AM CT weekday mornings on their channel but all these episodes are in mixed-up order.
As far as I know, seasons 7-9 are a component of the traditional syndication package for this show and aren't anything rare. ME-TV certainly airs those three seasons.

They air it in order, but sometimes they seem to bounce around shows in a strange way (I've noticed it with Petticoat Junction and the now off the air My Three Sons that is taking a break on their latest schedule).

Never noticed it with Make Room for Daddy though in the two and a half years or so I've had this channel and it's definitely airing in correct order right now. Season 9 recently ended and they're now showing season 5, as Joe said.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I was never a big fan of this show, but this announcement has peaked my interest.
I think it's the fact that these seasons haven't been seen in decades.
The show looks great. Do you think they were recently remastered? I noticed that it is still owned by SFM.
Cozi also puts up a billboard on before the episode begins proclaiming that Cozi presents Make Room for Daddy. They don't do that for their other shows, do they. It's almost like they know they have something special that the other channels don't have.
Also, why do they show it in widescreen? They don't do that for all their other shows, except maybe Charlie's Angels. It actually looks good, but I wonder how they are able to show it widescreen without cutting off people's heads.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Ron Lee Green said:
I was never a big fan of this show, but this announcement has peaked my interest.
I think it's the fact that these seasons haven't been seen in decades.
The show looks great. Do you think they were recently remastered? I noticed that it is still owned by SFM.
Cozi also puts up a billboard on before the episode begins proclaiming that Cozi presents Make Room for Daddy. They don't do that for their other shows, do they. It's almost like they know they have something special that the other channels don't have.
Also, why do they show it in widescreen? They don't do that for all their other shows, except maybe Charlie's Angels. It actually looks good, but I wonder how they are able to show it widescreen without cutting off people's heads.
I haven't saw the presentations but I know some channel on Directv was showing both Bonanza and Starsky and Hutch in "widescreen." All they were doing was squashing the 4x3 frame down to a 16x9 frame. I don't know if that's what Cozi is doing or not.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have made this comment before, but why do so many people think that 16:9 is better than 4:3 ?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Easy answer: The same reason people used to think 4:3 was better than 16:9 when they had 4:3 TV's. They want their whole screen filled.
I personally think they should stick to the original aspect ratio for everything movies and TV.
jimmyjet said:
i have made this comment before, but why do so many people think that 16:9 is better than 4:3 ?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Cozi also aired the last few season 4 episodes before starting with season 5. The transfers that Cozi uses are different from the ones on ME-TV and look markedly better. They also have the "Danny Thomas Show" opening restored. The one thing I absolutely hate is that it airs in widescreen. That really bothers me. Would love someone to give this series another go at a release with beautiful new (fullscreen) transfers.
New HD transfers were done for Cozi and they were pre-cut to fit the time that Cozi wanted, which is short, under 22 minutes. Cozi also wanted them in 16:9, which is ridiculous for a 4:3 show but that's how they asked for them. The good news, although I don't know if they will ever see the light of day, is that at the same time the transfers were being done, they were also done in 4:3 in the full 26 minute versions. So new HD full length versions now exist in the right aspect ratio.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Easy answer: The same reason people used to think 4:3 was better than 16:9 when they had 4:3 TV's. They want their whole screen filled.I personally think they should stick to the original aspect ratio for everything movies and TV.
I agree. And as someone who has no interest in 16:9 television sets, I find it extremely annoying, even more than when movies were run in 4:3 and picture was cut off on the sides.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
and especially let us know if they do season 1 !!!
Never going to happen. Seasons 1-3 are buried and will stay buried. Danny didn't want them out there and evidently his children are following his wishes. So whatever made its way out there on PD prints are all we'll ever see of the first 90 shows. However, the good news is that Cozi will be running seasons 4 thru 11! Which is great as 4,10, and 11 have never been in syndication or at least 4 never has and 10 and 11 haven't been in decades. Cozi started with the last 3 shows of season 4 since the transfers hadn't been done yet but when they loop around, the entire 4th season will air.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
As for Make Room For Granddaddy, I have a feeling that would suffer the same sad fate as SANFORD. Will NEVER see a release!! :angry: :angry:
Yeah, but at least with Sanford, we got them uncut when they ran on BET back in the early 90s so we're covered there. MRFG has never re-aired anywhere since its original run. Its too bad that they make these sequel series into separate packages as they should include them with the original series when they make their sales. No network really has much interest in such small run series.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Randy Korstick said:
Easy answer: The same reason people used to think 4:3 was better than 16:9 when they had 4:3 TV's. They want their whole screen filled.
I personally think they should stick to the original aspect ratio for everything movies and TV.
i see. if a person has a 16:9 screen, it will show some black areas if they show it in 4:3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread