-

Photo
- - - - -

Shout Factory Press Release: Clive Barker's Nightbreed The Director's Cut Limited Edition

BD/DVD Press Release Shout Factory

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 of 119 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,696 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 05:03 AM

I broke down and ordered the Limited Edition. I saw Night Breed in the theaters twice upon its release and have always felt it was a damaged classic. I never thought I'd see the day when the longer cut would surface. When it did, on multi-generational VHS, I was pleased but still sad that the original film elements were, apparently, gone for good. The announcement that they had found the original negatives for the cuts was a total surprise. Yes, the price is high. I never once felt it was because Shout Factory were trying to gouge the fans. It had to have cost them a pretty penny to do the work on the Director's Cut and WB are notoriously stingy when it comes to sub-licensing their catalog. I'm buying that version to support a label that is genuinely seeking out and releasing films for genre fans and doing a great job of doing so. There aren't many labels like Shout Factory out there and, sad to say, I don't know how much longer physical media will be around. 

(PS The poster is available for all pre-orders of the LE from the Shout Factory site. The "1,000 copies" thing was just to entice those collectors for whom a low-numbered copy is important.)

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#22 of 119 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,838 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 03 2014 - 05:12 AM

The "1,000 copies" thing was just to entice those collectors for whom a low-numbered copy is important.)

Not to knock anyone's collecting habits but even as a guy who has a large collection of all kinds of junk, I couldn't care less about a lower number. I guess it'd be neat to have #1 but it's not like copy #74 plays better than copy #3,978.

#23 of 119 McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted July 03 2014 - 05:32 AM

Not to knock anyone's collecting habits but even as a guy who has a large collection of all kinds of junk, I couldn't care less about a lower number. I guess it'd be neat to have #1 but it's not like copy #74 plays better than copy #3,978.

I have never understood this, either. With any desirable release, copies 1, 5,000, and other "important" numbers usually go to people involved with the release. I guess with any horror release, there is always the coveted #666, but since every copy is identical to the next, there is literally no benefit to one number over another.

#24 of 119 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 10:52 AM

Btw. Dir Cut will be a new version and not the "Cabal cut" that has been shown on some festivals.

http://www.shocktill...-the-cabal-cut/

#25 of 119 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,800 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:06 AM

I'd be surprised if this one doesn't sell out sooner than later. A lot of horror fans have been waiting for this one. I don't see the Limited Edition of 5000 being around for "years and years" as someone else posted.

Having no idea how or if this is going to ship from traditional retailers, I pre-ordered through shout. Being in Canada, I most likely would have to of paid the shipping/duty fees anyway, and I don;t mind Shout/Scream getting a few extra bucks since they went to original elements. Just hope they don't muck it up by over processing it.

#26 of 119 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:13 AM

"Having no idea how or if this is going to ship from traditional retailers.."

I guess people assume that it'll be available, but then again Demons 1&2 are not available through Amazon etc (at least not after the Steelbook sets are sold out).

This LE business is getting confusing.

#27 of 119 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 03 2014 - 02:07 PM

I have an Alien Director's Cut poster hanging in my office numbered 4232 of 5000. Doesn't make it any less special to me.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#28 of 119 McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 05:19 PM

Clearly, the branding has paid off, because Shout! will now allocate 2,500 copies (half the run) to their store, not 2,000.

#29 of 119 Corey II

Corey II

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 07:57 PM

So it is finally being released.  I remember when Scream (Shout) Factory first made the announcement about the Director's Cut of Nightbreed at the San Diego Comic-Con two years ago.  It is also coming out not too far after the release of the Halloween Blu-Ray collection.  September and October should be a great time for horror fans. 

Speaking of Halloween, Scream Factory was at the Halloween: 35 Years of Terror convention (in Pasadena, CA) talking about the Nightbreed release.  If I remember correctly, the staff said the missing footage that was found, was not in the best condition, so the director's cut blu-ray will not be as pristine as other films that Scream Factory has done in the past.  Of course, this annoucement was back in November of 2013, hopefully much has changed since then. 

#30 of 119 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,726 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:17 PM

Vincent, there was no "attack" on Synapse of any kind. Their release strategy for those two films was a mistake, and importantly, one that they have yet to correct. Nevertheless, that was merely an example I used in contrast to this Nightbreed release, where complaints about price are less justified. 

Exactly how was their release model for the two DEMONS films a "mistake", if I may ask?  You earlier referred to it as a "fiasco", but now it's a "mistake".  Would you care to explain the difference between a "mistake" and "fiasco", and exactly how you came to the conclusion that the Synapse Films releases of DEMONS and DEMONS 2 qualify as either?

Vincent

#31 of 119 McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:21 AM

Exactly how was their release model for the two DEMONS films a "mistake", if I may ask?  You earlier referred to it as a "fiasco", but now it's a "mistake".  Would you care to explain the difference between a "mistake" and "fiasco", and exactly how you came to the conclusion that the Synapse Films releases of DEMONS and DEMONS 2 qualify as either?

Vincent

Vincent, if my choice of words causes you anxiety or distress, then for that, I apologize. It was not my intention to draw your ire.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in discussing what was merely an example in an earlier post any further.

#32 of 119 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:07 AM

"Exactly how was their release model for the two DEMONS films a "mistake", if I may ask?"

At first it probably seemed that these releases doesn't sell well enough, but I guess they've been selling (slowly, but steadily):
"150 DEMONS and less than 500 DEMONS 2 Steelbooks left"

#33 of 119 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,800 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 04 2014 - 09:22 AM

Vincent, if my choice of words causes you anxiety or distress, then for that, I apologize. It was not my intention to draw your ire.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in discussing what was merely an example in an earlier post any further.

I don't think an apology is warranted frankly. It was a pedantic post in the first place and I'm sure many of us agree with you that their pricing and sales model was goofy.

#34 of 119 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:13 PM

Some more info here:
http://www.clivebark...scream-factory/

#35 of 119 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,899 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:18 PM

Do they post to the UK or just USA and Canada, if the latter then how do i actually make the purchase. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#36 of 119 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:20 PM

Only the US and Canada.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#37 of 119 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:24 PM

They only ship to the US, and perhaps Canada (not sure). Not in Europe.

In the podcast Cliff MacMillan says that the set will be available on Amazon.com "in a couple of weeks". So it's coming!

#38 of 119 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,899 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:24 PM

In the popcast Cliff MacMillan says that the set will be available on Amazon.com "in a couple of weeks". So it's coming!

Okay well that's good, is Demons available to buy from a retailer too. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#39 of 119 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:36 PM

Not yet, but Demons 1&2 are from Synapse. They said that they don't know yet what'll happen after the steelbook editions are sold out.
  • FoxyMulder likes this

#40 of 119 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:03 PM

Diabolik is taking pre-orders for both NIGHTBREED releases, though they've been having server issues from tons of people bombarding them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BD/DVD Press Release, Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users