Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Steven Spielberg's Director's Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#1 of 211 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:35 AM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Everett Stallings and Sam Posten like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 211 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:36 AM

The other thread had to be locked.

The Amazon preorder code that was inserted got screwed up 

and would not allow any additional comments to be made in 

the thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Great to see this set coming out, but a real waste to most of

us that already own most of the movies in it.

Looks like we are going to have to wait 6 months or so until

the single releases of 1941 and Duel are made available.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 211 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:40 AM

Yeah, it's really a non-event for anyone who has been more than happy to pop for the other films as they've appeared in very nice digibooks, etc., over the past couple of years.  I wonder how many people really need to jump for this one.  And why.  Seriously.  Where have they been?

#4 of 211 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:45 AM

It's simply a ploy by Universal to get people to buy a very expensive set just for 3 movies being made available for the first time.

Ronald J Epstein

#5 of 211 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 913 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:54 AM

I'd be in for Duel and (especially) Always and hope they get individual releases. If not, I guess I'd go in for the whole package and give the rest away because I either already own them (Jaws, E.T. and the two Jurassic Parks) or saw in theaters and have no interest in seeing again (1941 and Sugarland Express).

Needless to say, any special packaging would go straight to the landfill.

#6 of 211 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:58 AM

Since there isn't really precedent for this kind of release from Universal, I'm curious to see if they release the singles at the same time or if they are only in the boxset in October. Either way, it's extremely safe to say that these new titles will get an individual release at some point.

I'll probably sell off my copies of Jaws, E.T. and the Jurassic Park trilogy (if I ever need to see JP III that bad, I'll pick up the single) and buy this set.

#7 of 211 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 749 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 07:05 AM

The only film from this set I already have on blu-ray is Jaws and I certainly want to pick-up Duel, Sugarland Express, 1941, and Always but have no interest in E.T., or the Jurassic Park films. Would have been cool if they dropped E.T. and the Jurassic Park films and added Munich. I would have been sold on it. Now will do as everybody else and wait for the films I want to get an individual release. 

Edit: Actually, speaking of Munich has that been slated for a blu-ray release yet? Just curious why that film has never appeared on blu...must be on the way I would guess.

#8 of 211 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 01 2014 - 07:46 AM

Since there isn't really precedent for this kind of release from Universal, I'm curious to see if they release the singles at the same time or if they are only in the boxset in October. Either way, it's extremely safe to say that these new titles will get an individual release at some point.

I'll probably sell off my copies of Jaws, E.T. and the Jurassic Park trilogy (if I ever need to see JP III that bad, I'll pick up the single) and buy this set.

Um, doesn't the Hitchcock box count as precedent?

#9 of 211 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 01 2014 - 07:49 AM

It's simply a ploy by Universal to get people to buy a very expensive set just for 3 movies being made available for the first time.

I count 4. Duel, Sugarland Express, 1941, and Always.
  • Mark Walker likes this

#10 of 211 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:11 AM

1941 question - the other announcement in another forum for the UK release states that both versions of 1941 will be included. The US Amazon listing indicates it's just one version. I do not see any information of which version. Anyone know?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#11 of 211 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:16 AM

1941 question - the other announcement in another forum for the UK release states that both versions of 1941 will be included. The US Amazon listing indicates it's just one version. I do not see any information of which version. Anyone know?

The other announcement is for the Australian release I believe; I'd be astonished if both sets weren't exactly the same in terms of content.

Delighted to see 1941 on BD at last; ditto Always.

• Mark Walker and ahollis like this
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 211 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 264 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:42 AM

1941 is the only feature-length Spielberg film I've never seen, so this is all fine and dandy; plus, I'm one of the few who loves Always, which has never been released on an anamorphic DVD.

However, erm, Munich remains absent.

#13 of 211 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:46 AM

Um, doesn't the Hitchcock box count as precedent?

I wouldn't count that. Only 2 (North By Northwest and Psycho) of the 15 discs in the Hitchcock set had been available before. Half of the discs in the Spielberg set have been available before so it's a different situation in my mind.

• ahollis likes this

#14 of 211 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:57 AM

I will wait for the 1941 blu. I've waited this long, so why not? That said, the singles of this and Duel ought to come out the same day as the collection.

#15 of 211 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:59 AM

I need Munich...
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#16 of 211 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:48 AM

The other announcement is for the Australian release I believe; I'd be astonished if both sets weren't exactly the same in terms of content.

Delighted to see 1941 on BD at last; ditto Always.

Same but hoping the US list is wrong. Thanks.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 211 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:51 AM

Same but hoping the US list is wrong. Thanks.

And now Amazon is listing a UK release too.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#18 of 211 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:56 AM

If it gets really cheap, I might bite. Licensing deals should of happened to make this more complete though. It's not like Spielberg doesn't deserve it.

#19 of 211 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:59 AM

That said, the singles of this and Duel ought to come out the same day as the collection.

You are more optimistic than I am, Sam, about that.  However, I don't

have any concrete way of saying that is not going to happen other than

similar practices by studios like MGM.

I count 4. Duel, Sugarland Express, 1941, and Always.

Yeah, Mark, I apparently miscounted.  My apologies.  I stand corrected.

As for the absence of Schindler's List and Munich....

Obviously, they couldn't put everything in the set.  It seems to be geared

more towards the most popular Spielberg adventure films with new offerings.

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 211 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 01 2014 - 10:11 AM

Normally i would be very interested in a release like this but because it's Universal i like to wait for the reviews, if this was Sony/Columbia i'd blind buy because i know they would not use digital tools to excess on any of the titles and they might even pony up for new 4K film scans, being Universal i just don't know what i will be getting, of course if Spielberg has to approve the final product they should hopefully at least look okay but i'm not convinced they all will.

I know it's easy to knock Universal but i have a bit of fear about blind buying any of their catalog releases, i never think twice about buying one of their new releases, just the catalog stuff, i feel the same way about Paramount catalog titles.

• andySu likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users