Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone gotten the UK Unguarded Moment?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 01:27 PM

Is it anamorphic wide screen? Is the transfer better than the dubious TCM release included in their Women In Danger boxset? The quality of that 4x3 letterbox version leaves a lot to be desired. If it's a superior transfer, I'm willing to upgrade.  

#2 of 12 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 30 2014 - 01:34 PM

Specs on the Odeon website indicate 1:85, but I don't know if its anamorphic or not.  I'll probably get this eventually.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3 of 12 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hopefully someone will post a review of the DVD on the Amazon.UK website. One of my pet peeves about Amazon reviewers is how everyone reviews the movie but doesn't tell us the quality of the transfer and its specs. I don't need you to tell me if the movie is good, I'll decide that for myself. Tell me about the quality of the transfer!!!

• Robin9 likes this

#4 of 12 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'm also waiting for some Internet feedback about the quality before I buy this disc.

#5 of 12 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 12:44 AM

I watched the U. K DVD of The Unguarded Moment last night and made a cursory comparison with the TCM Region 1 disc.

It looks as if the two discs come from the same transfer with one HUGE difference. The U. K disc has the same faded colors, the same flickering and the same slightly out-of-focus look. So it is not a good transfer but, but, but . . . . . it is anamorphic while the Region 1 disc is non-anamorphic.

It is much easier to watch the U. K. disc. Esther Williams is far sexier and Edward Andrews is far more sinister in the anamorphic version. The Edward Andrews character is one of the creepiest villains ever in a film.

As I am a big Esther Williams fan, it was worth buying the Region 2 disc. People who do not especially like Esther may well disagree.

#6 of 12 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 13 2014 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the review, I shall now order this title.

#7 of 12 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Robin! I've now added Unguarded Moment to my amazon.uk cart.

#8 of 12 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 13 2014 - 01:22 PM

Will be sure to buy this as well.  Odeon has also released "Female on the Beach", which was also in that TCM 'Women in Danger' box.  Wonder if the other 2 titles from that set are in the pipeline too?

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#9 of 12 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:08 AM

I got my UK Unguarded Moment and while the transfer appears to the same soft looking one used for the TCM box set, I'm happy I got it for the anamorphic transfer which makes it more watchable than the TCM version.

Also in the batch, Cat And Mouse a thriller with Kirk Douglas and Jean Seberg which debuted on TV here in the States but played theatrically in Europe and elsewhere. The DVD includes both an anamorphic wide screen transfer and a full frame transfer. Then I got a comedy called Don't Bother To Knock with Richard Todd, Elke Sommer, Nicole Maurey and Judith Anderson in a rare glamorous role. It's a CinemaScope film and anamorphic.

#10 of 12 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted Yesterday, 01:10 AM

If I'd known that there'd be separate editions of both "Female on the Beach" and "Unguarded Moment", I probably wouldn't have paid through the nose for the 'Women in Danger' box.  

#11 of 12 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:39 AM

Then I got a comedy called Don't Bother To Knock with Richard Todd, Elke Sommer, Nicole Maurey and Judith Anderson in a rare glamorous role. It's a CinemaScope film and ananmorphic.

Don't Bother To Knock is the original U. K. title. I think, to avoid confusion with the Marilyn Monroe/Richard Widmark film of the same name, the title was changed to Why Bother To Knock? when the film crossed the Atlantic.

I've never seen this film. I might buy the disc at some stage.

#12 of 12 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted Yesterday, 01:24 PM

I bought "Don't/Why Bother to Knock" and found it absolutely adorable.  Good clean anamorphic print.  Very entertaining. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users