Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2oth Century-Fox movies still MIA on Blu-ray

Blu-ray Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:24 AM

With the upcoming release of Criterion’s edition of Jack Clayton’s The Innocents on Blu-ray – a fabulous and sadly, underrated movie today – I thought the time had come to make a serious inquiry among this group what additional Fox titles you would all like to see come from either Criterion or Fox Home Video proper. I've limited my list to 10 titles and given the reasons why I believe these movies on Blu-ray are long overdo. So now I'll just open it up to everyone else and let the suggestions fall where they may.

1.       Anastasia (1956) – the movie that brought Ingrid Bergman back to America after her disastrous marriage to Rossellini and the lean years in their film making alliance fell apart. 

2.       Peyton Place (1957) – the trail blazing, ground breaking, censorship testing Jerry Wald production based on Grace Metalious’ scathing novel of sin and sex in a small town. This one is a cultural touchstone. Even today the name Peyton Place conjures to mind tawdry appeal.

3.       Wilson (1944) – Zanuck’s superb biography of Woodrow Wilson is presently a shambles as part of Fox’s own cinema archive program. Wilson is a superior bio and a lavish production besides – the most expensive movie after Gone With The Wind and a true testament to Alexander Knox acting ability; sadly, never again given such a showcase to shine.

4.       The Rains Came (1939) – Zanuck’s superior disaster/melodrama never made the contender’s list for Best Picture, perhaps forgivable by 1939 standards. Any other year it would have most assuredly not only been nominated, but likely would have won. Groundbreaking special effects to boot. A must see.

5.       Down Argentine Way (1940) – the quintessential Fox musical of its generation, with Betty Grable and Don Ameche superb in this lavish, lurid Technicolor display of showmanship

6.       Forever Amber (1947) – the incendiary tale of a ravenous social climber who will stop at nothing to triumph in the court of King Charles. Linda Darnell is ravishing in this costly and colossal studio barn-burner.

7.       The Keys of the Kingdom (1944) – Gregory Peck’s gentle portrait of a Catholic priest whose travels to China and the establishment of a mission prove eventful and perilous.

8.       Two For the Road (1967) Stanley Donen’s nonlinear narrative, confounding and complex deconstruction of a marriage on the rocks, costarring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney in defining roles in their respective careers.

9.       How To Steal A Million (1966) – Audrey again, this time with Peter O’Toole in William Wyler’s astute and charming caper of love and jewel thievery run amuck in the moneyed and cultured jet set of Paris.

10.   The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) – Maggie Smith’s exemplar of the high strung schoolmarm who’s laissez faire approach to the re-education of a group of impressionable young girls leads to dire consequences for all concerned.

• classicmovieguy and Cremildo like this

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:34 AM

1. Michael Shayne films (Lloyd Nolan, 5 released on DVD)

2. Soldier of Fortune

3. Sun Valley Serenade

4. That Night in Rio

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:47 AM

I've just looked through my 'wants' list, and I don't think any are Fox.

Either they've done a damn good job of getting their releases out, or they're a studio who didn't make too many films to my taste.

Strange.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:05 AM

In no particular order, i'm not sure if these are all 20th Century Fox. ( I did attempt to research it )

Leave Her To Heaven

Dragonwyck

Black Beauty

Call Northside 777

I Was A Male War Bride

The Gunfighter

Monkey Business

Invaders From Mars

The Desert Rats

Warlock

A few later ones too.

100 Rifles

The Seven-Ups

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

Fort Apache, The Bronx

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:09 AM

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is available (in a double-feature with Race With the Devil)

http://www.amazon.co...ary crazy larry

The Seven-Ups is available in Germany:

http://www.amazon.de...words=seven ups

• FoxyMulder likes this
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:39 AM

Leave Her To Heaven is already out on blu ray from Twilight Time

Lets not forget Fallen Angel, Nightmare Alley, The Razors Edge, I Wake Up Screaming, The Best of Everything, and some sci fi classics Hand of Death with John Agar and SpaceMaster x7 !! :)

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,612 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:51 AM

Criterion released a DVD of Pickup on South Street, and I'd love to see that upgraded to Blu-ray and with possibly a new bonus feature on the life and career of Thelma Ritter who after all those Oscar nominations and no wins surely deserves some kind of retrospective (and Fox has a good number of her films).

As for some other suggestions:

Anastasia (1956)

The Virgin Queen

Star!

Doctor Dolittle

The Best of Everything

Peyton Place

The Flight of the Phoenix

23 Paces from Baker Street (rescued from pan and scan Cinema Archive hell)

Three Coins in the Fountain

Nightmare Alley

The Razor's Edge

Anna and the King of Siam (with maybe a bonus feature of a new, improved transfer of The King and I)

Call Northside 777

The Dark Corner

My Darling Clemintine

The Blue Bird (1940)

Call Me Madam

With a Song in My Heart

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:57 AM

I just thought of a few more.

Staircase (1969) Richard Burton and Rex Harrison as a gay couple

Anna and the King (1999) Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat.

Anna and the King of Siam (1946) with Irene Dunne and Rex Harrison

Doctor Doolittle (1967) in a legitimately authored Blu-ray, not the currently existing bootleg from Australia that is deplorable

The Left Hand of God (1955) - Bogart as a priest

Belle Starr (1941) Gene Tierney's debut

The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956)

Hudson's Bay (1941)

Roadhouse (1948) Richard Widmark and Cornel Wilde with the awesome Ida Lupino thrown in

The House on Telegraph Hill (1951) with the sadly overlooked Richard Basehart as a fairly psychotic suitor 

Springtime in the Rockies (1942) - another frothy and tune-filled Fox musical

With A Song In My Heart: The Jane Froman Story (1952) bar none one of the best movie musicals Fox ever made!

I'll also second, Nightmare Alley (sadly undrerated Ty Power flick), The Best of Everything (1958), along with Woman's World (1954) - two great flicks about women climbing the corporate ladder; also love Three Coins in the Fountain (1954) and Star! (1968). 

Come on Fox - get busy with these...please.

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 07:43 AM

@Nick*Z

How to Steal a Million has been released in a  czech  Bluray, and from screenshots I have seen the quality is great!

103531_large.jpg

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   Walsh61

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:03 AM

In addition to what's been mentioned already I'd like to see these:

The Enemy Below

Flight Of The Phoenix

Emperor Of The North Pole

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:10 AM

I love Peyton Place, but I think it's all talk. It's like the G-rated version of the book. The book is ten times more tawdry. The movie itself basically has good photography going for it, but don't expect it to be banned anytime soon.

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:33 AM

STAR! and HOME SWEET HOMICIDE (which I don't believe they ever released on any format).

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:38 AM

Fox hasn't announced a single new-to-Blu catalog in over 3 months, so it's going to be a while before we see any serious chipping away at some of the wish list titles above.   The 2013 catalog king has suddenly gone MIA.

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 262 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:48 AM

The movie itself basically has good photography going for it

Plus a lush score by Franz Waxman and superb performances by Diane Varsi and Mildred Dunnock.

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:58 AM

I've never read the book, but I've always heard that the film version of PEYTON PLACE is a major improvement upon the tawdry source material, giving it a class and distinction it really doesn't deserve.   It's a first-rate soaper exquisitely filmed by the talents at Fox just as the studio era that would allow such slick professionalism was coming to a close.  It's one of my favorite Franz Waxman scores and I'd love a BluRay.  I'm sure it will come from Twilight Time if not from Fox itself.  It's one of the biggest titles from the 1950s.

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   RJ992

RJ992

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 09:40 AM

Surprised that the TV series (with a young Mia Farrow and Ryan O'Neal) never made it to video

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   seangood79

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 01:25 PM

How about some silents, The Iron Horse, Seventh Heaven

• Ed Lachmann likes this

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:05 PM

How about some silents, The Iron Horse, Seventh Heaven

7th Heaven is available region free from French Carlotta, as well as the Borzage films Lucky Star and Street Angel.  I have them all and have watched them 2-3 times already.   Highly recommended!

7th Heaven

Street Angel

Lucky Star

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:48 PM

Bruce,

I've seen these in 35mm, except for Lucky Star, and I love them. My question about the Carlotta issues, are the English intertitles kept, with French subtitles at the bottom of the screen? I assume that the interviews and commentaries are not subtitled in English.

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:52 PM

Star!

Call Me Madam (the film Donald O'Connor considered his best because of his dances with Vera Ellen choreographed by Robert Alton)

Anastasia (for the performances)

Peyton Place (dated - but lushly filmed, well acted and a real slice of 50's Americana such as the picnic sequence)

The Rose - Bette Midler - great sound and Vilmos Zsigmond photography - plus Bette, of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users