What's new

Will my HTPC movie sound come through Sonos speakers (1 Viewer)

james508

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Hi I am just about to purchase a few components from Sonos but I just need to figure out if everything will work correctly.

My system
- Samsung 55" tv 2012 model
- Marantz receiver NR1604
- intel NUC HTPC (Home Theatre PC)
- some cheap wired front speakers

What I would like to buy:
- Sonos connect
- Sonos rear speakers for a 5.1 set-up
- Sonos sub / playbar

Currently:
- HTPC connected to my receiver via mini display port to hdmi.
- Output from my Marantz receiver going via hdmi to my tv.
- Optical connected from my tv going into my receiver.
- Receiver connected to my temporary font speakers (which I am happy to replace).

How would I add Sonos into this situation...
- Do connect a Sonos connect to my receiver via coaxial?
- Can I then add some rear Sonos Play:5's and it will understand that the wired front are connected but to use the Play:5's as the rear sound?
- When I play movies from my HTPC will the sound come out of the Sonos Play:5's for the rear 5:1? will it understand that the Sonos speakers are there? as there will be no output from the Marantz receiver to the Sonos just an input from the Sonos to the Marantz receiver.

Overall I'm asking if my external sources (HTPC etc) that are connected to my Marantz receiver be able to utilise Sonos speakers to play movie sound using 5.1?

I am happy to lose the front speakers and replace with Sonos speakers but I am worried it won't work and the content I play via my HTPC won't come out of the Sonos speakers?

Sorry I hope I haven't massively over complicated this for myself and thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To use the Sonos, you get rid of the Marantz. No AVR, none of them, at all, connect to Sonos.Sonos is a powered soundbar. AVR are not used with them.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's a USB to Toslink adapter. You'll plug it into a USB port on your NUC (more likely a mini-USB hub) it will enable digital audio out. Connect from that to your sonos. Video can stay going to your AVR, toggle the Toslink adapter as your default audio device, and your audio will come through Sonos rather than HDMI

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
mattCR said:
There are quite a few receivers that will output, or do passthrough digital. I'm not sure if that one will. You will need a USB to Digital (Toslink) adapter like this one:http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/sound-cards-accessories/micro-ii/31
Pass through 5.1 does not exist. The pass through (if his does it) is 2.0.So you are advising he keep the Marantz when a $60 HDMI switch is all he needs?By the way...Sell your Marantz. Buy a remote controlled HDMI switch that can output 5.1 over Toslink or coax(yes, they exist and the Marantz won't be an expensive HDMI switch)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
How do you figure that? I have sonos but it doesn't replace my classe. one distributes through a house, the othr hands ht functions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a question on this Sonos...Does this even handle 5.1? (If it does DD I'll be shocked. If it does DTS, I'll drop dead of shock)Does it even have DPL, Or is it some lousy faux version?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just looked at the NR1604.His only possible connection between it and the Sonos is LR preouts on the Marantz.Which renders...1. The entire DD/DTS discussion(If the Marantz/Sonos are used together) a moot point.2. This an even bigger joke.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Talking about connecting it to the Marantz. The only output on the Marantz is LR preouts. And apparently the Sonos can do DD. Although the SONOS FORUMS are littered with "my wireless rear has an audio delay"(shocking, I tell you...shocking).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've played with a lot of the solutions. My installer originally sold me on Sonos for distributing through my house. I've tried other solutions since then, and Sonos is actually pretty clunky in comparison to their alternatives (IMHO). I think it just got there first and establishd a name, because the sound quality and ease of use are not as good as they make it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks