Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time indicates they will re-license some sold-out titles. BREAKING!

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#321 of 339 ONLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,657 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 10 2015 - 04:01 AM

The other possible way is for Sony to release it in Europe. That is already happening with some titles but they are normally Zone B locked.

True, but I was referring only to domestic release, like the Twilight Time one.

#322 of 339 OFFLINE   Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 08:15 AM

The other possible way is for Sony to release it in Europe. That is already happening with some titles but they are normally Zone B locked.

The majority, if not all, of the TT titles released by Sony in Europe are region-free.

#323 of 339 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,380 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted April 10 2015 - 11:17 AM

Since it took almost 2 years for Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines to sell out, I seriously doubt it's a candidate for repressing by TT.

What?? The only reason I've been following this thread is specifically because TMMITFM was announced as a title being "reprinted", and I was hoping to read an update some day. You're saying it's definitely not now? Last time I checked the TT site there was still no info. [It must have ~ a year ago I had it in my SAE cart and found it "disappeared" when I went to check out.]

Hey...I never said it was a good movie, I said I liked it. :) Maybe somebody else will issue it.

#324 of 339 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,380 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 11:30 AM

I generally agree, but I do sympathize with people who are perhaps just starting their classic film collections. There's a reason I priotize seeing TT titles I've never seen before among my rentals - I don't want to see something years later and find out it's OOP.

In my case it has nothing to do with "starting out" or anything like that. There are movies I liked as a kid or teenager etc. that I can't stand now. IOW I did not want to shell out $50-60 (what the movie could eventually cost for me to actually get to here, straight from SAE) for a movie that I may not still like. Strictly cheapskate economics, when I get can 5-10 BDs that I do like for the same price. I test with a DVD first when I can (i.e. if cheap enough), for Criterion titles that are new to me too.

Believe it or not, there are tons of (Crits and) TTs that I don't like either, besides the titles some mentioned they like better than TMMITFM. What's that got to do with anything? Let's face it: if these were the slightest bit popular with even a tiny percentage of the public, they wouldn't be discussed in this thread...their popularity is for a niche of a niche of a niche (people who like the film, people who buy BDs, people who'll pay this much for a disc). i.e. 3000 (copies) is <0.001% of just the U.S. pop.

#325 of 339 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 10 2015 - 11:57 AM

I wasn't suggesting anyone buy something they don't like, Twilight Time, Criterion, or otherwise. I wasn't really responding to your post, but speaking generically on my philosophy, which goes like this:

Twilight Time announces 10 titles:

- I have seen and like 3 of them enough to buy - I buy them

- I have seen and don't like 5 of them enough to buy - I don't buy them

- I have never seen 2 of them - I find them via rentals, then apply one of the previous two lines above

- In the very rare occasion that I cannot find a title for rent anywhere, I blind buy (worked out for Rapture, but not for Swamp Water; we'll see how it goes for Under Fire)

Really, the only difference I have between TT and any other label's titles is that I try to prioritize watching the announced titles I've never seen. That's the only thing the limited pressing element changes for me.

I'm certainly not an advocate for collecting for collecting's sake, as I don't do that myself for 99% of my purchases. (I've collected the Cinerama films and the vintage 3D films, but those are far smaller #s of releases compared to the 100+ TT titles and 700+ Criterion titles).

Edited by Brandon Conway, April 10 2015 - 11:59 AM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#326 of 339 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,206 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 10 2015 - 12:46 PM

What?? The only reason I've been following this thread is specifically because TMMITFM was announced as a title being "reprinted", and I was hoping to read an update some day. You're saying it's definitely not now?

I follow TT pretty closely on a couple forums and I don't remember that title ever being mentioned as a definite (or even probable) reprint -- at least not from officially hooked up with TT.   Do you have a link or post that I can look at?

The only titles listed as almost certain reprints were Journey, Fright Night, and very likely Christine next year.   Even Mysterious Island which makes the most sense I don't has ever been confirmed -- strong seller, early release, and pretty much in the TT wheelhouse.

Early in the the thread Jan/March/AugustNovember was thrown out for the 2015 releases so this weekends July/August will be a bit telling.

Edited by David Norman, April 10 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#327 of 339 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,380 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 12:57 PM

^ I may be mistaken, I got the info from this forum, if in fact I'm not imagining it. I even have it written down to remind me...there's profound delusion or wishful thinking eh? Not saying it's official, there was never a post saying when, but then there wasn't for the actual re-releases either when originally announced here.

That is disappointing, but really, I wasn't exaggerating when I said it would cost me ~US$55 to get it to the far-flung outpost of Toronto, all costs in (not all SAE's "fault"), based on the last time...so I probably wouldn't buy it, if it comes to exist, except at "one of those times" when all we cheapskates succumb and press "submit order".

Brandon: we have far far less opportunity to see (rent/stream/=low-cost) HD material than you do in the States. When talking about upgrading from DVD to BD, usually a stream just wouldn't cut it for me to make a judgment anyway. And now you've made me feel bad saying the BD is that good. I'm not surprised really, except for non-"close-ups", even the DVD is satisfying, and is a harbinger of what the BD would reveal. The extras on the DVD were decent too.

#328 of 339 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,529 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 01:34 PM

Well, when it comes to rentals I don't factor in quality of presentation nearly as much as I do with ownership. I've watched a few of the films on VHS quality video. If I like a movie it'll shine through muddled quality 99% of the time.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#329 of 339 OFFLINE   Jimbo64

Jimbo64

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 01:41 PM

I follow the forums pretty closely and this is the first time I have ever heard anyone mention that TMMITFM was going to be rereleased

#330 of 339 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 01:43 PM

Well, really, if you don't like a TT title you can easily sell in used online for almost all of your money back (or if it's OOP, a profit).  TT discs have strong resale.

At any rate, I suspect Zardoz will sell out very fast, that one has a strong cult nerd following that spans multiple generations to today's college students.  Give the news of its release some traction and it will be sold out by Christmas easily.

#331 of 339 OFFLINE   aPhil

aPhil

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted April 10 2015 - 01:47 PM

I did not know about Twilight Time when they released "Mysterious Island," and that lack of knowledge and the price put me off at the time.

Having since purchased their release of "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" and thinking the Blu-ray as good or better than when I first saw it upon the original theatrical release, I'm now hoping for a reissue of Harryhausen's Jules Verne island adventure.

#332 of 339 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,529 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 02:11 PM

Well, really, if you don't like a TT title you can easily sell in used online for almost all of your money back (or if it's OOP, a profit).  TT discs have strong resale.

At any rate, I suspect Zardoz will sell out very fast, that one has a strong cult nerd following that spans multiple generations to today's college students.  Give the news of its release some traction and it will be sold out by Christmas easily.

It doesn't hurt that the How Did This Get Made? podcast just did two episodes on it, too.

#333 of 339 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,283 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 10 2015 - 02:13 PM

Do you have links to those podcasts Brandon?

#334 of 339 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,529 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 02:16 PM

Do you have links to those podcasts Brandon?

http://www.earwolf.c...-this-get-made/

Episodes #103 and #104

#335 of 339 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,283 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 10 2015 - 11:14 PM

Ta!

#336 of 339 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,458 posts

Posted April 10 2015 - 11:28 PM

- I have never seen 2 of them - I find them via rentals

What rental outlets that you know of actually rent out TT titles, other than 3-D Bluray Rental.com (where most of them cost $8 to rent)? Netflix doesn't carry them, nor does Classicflix, probably because of the limited edition status of them all. I'd love to find an affordable resource for checking some TT titles out before purchasing. Short of that, there are the HTF reviews and threads.

#337 of 339 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 11 2015 - 12:22 AM

I'm pretty sure he was talking about renting the older DVD editions.

#338 of 339 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,529 posts

Posted April 11 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm pretty sure he was talking about renting the older DVD editions.

Exactly. Netflix DVDs, Netflix Streaming, Amazon Prime Streaming, YouTube Streaming (the latter is how I saw The Fortune for $3). I found the 1966 Stagecoach at a library as a DVD-R from a TV broadcast.

#339 of 339 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,380 posts

Posted April 11 2015 - 12:28 PM

I follow the forums pretty closely and this is the first time I have ever heard anyone mention that TMMITFM was going to be rereleased

Yeah, I probably got the wrong idea from that title being mentioned with some that had recently sold out, in the same info with the sold-out titles that were going to be re-issued sometime. I have been doing a lot of unnecessary "work" in the meantime, what with checking out this thread and FB and TT info regularly since...

Still, I would have thought this title would be more popular, in the sense of "popular" compared to a lot of titles that have made it to regular-source BDs. I mostly enjoy the old aircraft, which the (DVD) doc showed were meticulously reconstructed, and not so much the story, though I admit I did laugh at some of the slapstick-ish and national-stereotype comedy. In the same way I watch some of the (many crappy) car racing movies for the cars. There is an aircraft enthusiast audience out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users