What's new

International Euro Blu-ray review: Pathfinder (Norwegian) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PATHFINDER (aka VEIVISEREN) (NORWEGIAN, 1987)

This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.comNotes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.LABEL: Medietilsynet/SvenskCOUNTRY OF ORIGIN: NorwayREGION: Region BASPECT RATIO: 2.34:1C/BW: ColorSOUND: 4.0?BONUS MATERIALS: Commentary, Documentary, Interview.CHAPTERS: 10Vastly under-rated and under-seen Norwegian production. A Lapp teenager witnesses the brutal murder of his family by a neighboring Tschude tribe, and makes it his mission to avenge the dead. Photographed (quite beautifully) in snowy Finland, this is an awesome adventure tale that I suspect runs rings around the recent remake.Running slightly less than 90 minutes, this is a thoroughly riveting film. And this Blu-ray presentation is just about the best I could have hoped for (in fact, that it is available on Blu at all astonishes me). The 2.34:1 ratio, the picture-perfect color (including accurate flesh tones), the film-like grain, all are excellent here. The icy landscapes come across perfectly.The sound, not exactly identified on the cover, appears to be 4.0. There is ambient sound sent to the rear speakers during some musical passages, but little else is heard from behind. Doesn’t matter. The sound scape is excellent.The first screen to appear after loading offers the choice of Norwegian or English subtitles. Then you have a choice whether to play the movie or choose a supplement. Here’s the caveat: the director commentary and the making-of documentary are Norwegian-language only. Too bad, I’d love to have had English subtitles available for both.The movie proper, however, does have English subtitles available.Thoroughly recommended for the film alone. This is a keeper!The Norwegian name for the film is VEIVISEREN, and the film was nominated for a Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar in 1987.This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
IMDB claims it was shot using Super Panavision 70, i guess they used the 35mm elements for the blu ray transfer.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hmm. I used a tape measure for the image, so I guess you are correct. Looks fabulous, though.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dick said:
Hmm. I used a tape measure for the image, so I guess you are correct. Looks fabulous, though.
You could be right, they may have used the 35mm elements, so your measurements of 2.34:1 could be correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks